Soundcloud is Eliminating Unique Usernames.. starting Oct 28th.

xiris

Resident Canadian
VIP Junglist
Here's an email I just got from SoundCloud.

"
Hey there,
We are contacting you today because we have noticed that you recently signed into your account with your username and password. Starting October 28th, you will need to sign in using your email and password.
What is changing?
Due to the number of people using SoundCloud, it can be difficult for community members to find a unique username for their account. We think you should have as much opportunity as possible to personalize your profile on SoundCloud. Therefore, starting October 28th, we are introducing non-unique usernames. This means that you will be able to choose any username you want.
What we need from you
As this change means that more than one user will now be able to have the same username, you will need to use your email address & password to sign into your account.

am i missing something? why would they do this? :s

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder how many S.P.Ys (Noisias, Andy Cs, etc etc etc) there will be by the end of November..

On one hand, it will be usefull when you want a username but it's already taken by some random dude who isn't even active or uploads tracks (like me, with the name Delta)
On the other hand, yea there will be some copying of the big names... Which could become a pain in the ass

Here's an email I just got from SoundCloud.

am i missing something? why would they do this? :s

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder how many S.P.Ys (Noisias, Andy Cs, etc etc etc) there will be by the end of November..

not seen anything about this...are you sure the email wasn't just trying to get you to login to a phishing website to steal your password?

it wouldn't make any sense for them to do this...artist names are property/trademarks of the artist, and heavily protected...

Even tho it says log in using email i just tried using my username and it worked. I'll post if i get the same email

Yeah saw that, its just for ages ive been using my email anyways as it says 'Enter email' .. Didnt actually think it would work with my username for some reason lol.

Probably you'll have the same thing that happens all around twitter and facebook: OfficialNoisia, NetskyOfficial, Steel Panther Original Tits and so on.

i love steel panther but those girls have been rented, im pretty sure of that. you dont know about the theatrical aspect of steel panther? their hair is a wig with the headband attached for example. its only the singer, michael starr, thats got real hair.

having said that, im 100% sure they rile the rest of the crowd up so other girls get their tits out, throw the shocker etc, too.

on toppic doe this is fking wild?!?? no unique usernames?? someones lost their shit

Last edited:
i love steel panther but those girls have been rented, im pretty sure of that. you dont know about the theatrical aspect of steel panther? their hair is a wig with the headband attached for example. its only the singer, michael starr, thats got real hair.

having said that, im 100% sure they rile the rest of the crowd up so other girls get their tits out, throw the shocker etc, too.

on toppic doe this is fking wild?!?? no unique usernames?? someones lost their shit

I "discovered" them by watching their guitarist, Satchel, on the Guitar World youtube channel. Since then I've been listening to them almost every day.

soundcloud support confirmed this...seems pretty wrong tbh, not everyone can afford international trademark registration, which is the only real way to protect an artist name when this kind of thing is allowed. pfft

soundcloud support confirmed this...seems pretty wrong tbh, not everyone can afford international trademark registration, which is the only real way to protect an artist name when this kind of thing is allowed. pfft

Well, you can't really protect your artist name by simply creating an account on soundcloud.

Well, you can't really protect your artist name by simply creating an account on soundcloud.

that wasn't my point, unless you have registered a trademark, you have no legal right to protect your artist name, and so rely only on the good will of the administrators of the website if someone else decides to use it.

these things are important, that's why major record labels and recording artists (and most other business) spend vast amounts of money protecting their brand.

Back
Top Bottom