Sub-Bass, Rolling Drops.

JBrennand99

Hi all, recently I've started to mix & find myself at the beginnings of a long Drum & Bass Journey. After attending many D'n'B nights in Liverpool/Manchester I've decided to get myself involved and start putting back into the scene. Although my Love for D'n'B is deep, my knowledge base is not & is why I'm seeking your suggestions... I find my self attracted to deep bass drops which allow for the drums to continuously flow, opposed to the stop start jump up style. Layered screeching bass noises are not what I'm looking for, I'm in search of warm soothing sub-bass and female vocals are a plus too. So, If you know of anything of the sort please get involved. your suggestions (labels, producers, dj's, tracks, sets...) are eagerly anticipated & your time is appreciated. JB

Example:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hey guys, I really want to be a DJ but you know, I'd rather fast-forward straight through the bits with all the hard work so can you hook me up with all the tunes it took you ten years to reach a consensus on? I know I'm meant to be developing my own style, sound and taste, and I know some of you have been buying music for decades, but I don't think I'd enjoy that part as much because it seems like an awful lot of graft just for the sake of a half-dozen warmup gigs in an empty venue...."

"Hey guys, I really want to be a DJ but you know, I'd rather fast-forward straight through the bits with all the hard work so can you hook me up with all the tunes it took you ten years to reach a consensus on? I know I'm meant to be developing my own style, sound and taste, and I know some of you have been buying music for decades, but I don't think I'd enjoy that part as much because it seems like an awful lot of graft just for the sake of a half-dozen warmup gigs in an empty venue...."

Tyranny, thanks for your support.

Yes, I'm here to ask for advice and recommendations to build my knowledge base on certain types of Drum & Bass, and this is a forum made for the purpose of these discussions isn't it?... I've actively been producing in garage/dub/grime scenes for the past 5 years & have dedicated time and work into music myself. Being met with this kind of attitude is surprising but I come across this possessiveness before. Anyway, I respect your opinion but if your not here to help/share/collaborate then I'd rather you take your views else where. JB

P.s Iv'e no intention of doing any gigs? it's purely a love for music (yn)

Tyranny, thanks for your support.

Yes, I'm here to ask for advice and recommendations to build my knowledge base on certain types of Drum & Bass, and this is a forum made for the purpose of these discussions isn't it?... I've actively been producing in garage/dub/grime scenes for the past 5 years & have dedicated time and work into music myself. Being met with this kind of attitude is surprising but I come across this possessiveness before. Anyway, I respect your opinion but if your not here to help/share/collaborate then I'd rather you take your views else where. JB

P.s Iv'e no intention of doing any gigs? it's purely a love for music (yn)

Fair point - your reply was sounder than mine.

It IS an attitude you see a lot of on here though, people expecting everything to be served up on a plate, it takes time to figure out for yourself what you like, what you want, I'm just concerned that omnipresent digital music has led to people hearing one little facet of a massively diverse sound, deciding that's all they want to hear, and only painting themselves off into little corners because of it, I don't think it does anyone any good really.

But yeah, listening to what you described above I guess you should check the following labels:

fokuz
celcius
horizons (the survival stuff and the naibu stuff in particular)
avalanche (eveson's 12" is one of them ones nobody ever goes on about but everyone should have)
future thinkin' (might be a bit moody for you but they're proper underrated and there's some gems if you dig hard enough)
commercial suicide (before about 2009 or so, they got a bit techy and stodgy after that Nymfo tune on the orange vinyl)
soul:r and signature and revolve:r (obviously)
all the Intalex stuff on 31 and especially the first three Kings of the Rollers EP's
All of the stuff Ill Logic & Raf did after that One Stop to Glory tune - their 31 releases and the album on Bingo and the Headz ep are all gold.

Then there's Shogun, they were a surprisingly decent label in the late 00's, the Alix Perez album and most of the Icicle and Switch jams on SGN:LTD are worth a look.

Subtle Audio is a sick label too, although maybe a bit deeper than the stuff you're after on the basis of that Survival tune.

Happy hunting!

Oh, all the dBridge & Fierce collabs are all sick, as was everything on Exit Vs. and all most of the Quarantine stuff.

I thought OPs request and the way he wrote it was actually very reasonable? Besides, some people might actually like helping others and sharing knowledge.

Too many on here are like the supernerds where I work... Don't speak to anyone and mockingly snort or smirk at you when you dare ask for help around the subject they've worked at for so many years to perfect.

Yo, what nights have you been too in Manchester and Liverpool? I've been knocking around the North West scene for a while. Always good to link up names to faces when I'm out and about.

I digress, You need these 3 tunes in your life.

300x300.jpg

You won't find much else apart from rolling drums and big sub bass on that label :)

Break, especially pre 2008. Check his stuff on Commercial Suicide and Eastside.
dBridge between 2004-2008 had it rolling
The Invaderz
Commix
Total Science
Carlito & Addiction
Mr Explicit

Yo, what nights have you been too in Manchester and Liverpool? I've been knocking around the North West scene for a while. Always good to link up names to faces when I'm out and about.

Been to a few Low down & dirty nights in manchester & a few other random events (Wellington mill). I first got into D'n'B in Liverpool tho, been going to 100th Monkey since it started about 3 years back (It's thier 3rd Birthday on the 14th November, I'm going to that!) & also a few Rubaglove nights!, I used to live there but now back in Preston where the drum & bass scene is on it's ass!

Btw them 3 tunes are quality, cheers man!

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=77660]tyranny[/MENTION]

Thanks for understanding mate, I'll be using this forum Regularly from now on so don’t plan on making any enemies.. I get where your coming from, People signing up, requesting tunes then you never hear from them again, so I'm not taking it personally. On a brighter note, thanks for the info you did give! looks like I’ve got a lot off listening to get through! I'll be sure to post up my feedback when I get then chance. JB

Last edited:
Been to a few Low down & dirty nights in manchester & a few other random events (Wellington mill). I first got into D'n'B in Liverpool tho, been going to 100th Monkey since it started about 3 years back (It's thier 3rd Birthday on the 14th November, I'm going to that!) & also a few Rubaglove nights!, I used to live there but now back in Preston where the drum & bass scene is on it's ass!

You should go to the Soul:ution nights in manchester. You'll like them. I think Lancaster has a night called Bass Race doesn't it?

It's all good matey, enjoy the tunes, should be plenty there to keep you busy!

:slayer:

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers everyone for your recommendations some interesting listens indeed!...
Iv'e got to say the female vocal in this track does it for me and is my favourite of thread so far:

Let's keep em coming, good input from you all so far, Big up. JB

Back
Top Bottom