DNB BPM

DEF:STAR

I know this really doesn't matter (I beat match everything by ear) but I'm curious - what is the real bpm of most current dnb, 80-ish or 170-ish? Everything on Beatport that I've gotten has been around 87 but on my computer it thinks half of them are 87 and the other half 174 (and other people online also say dnb has to be above 150) . Just curious what the more musically inclined think.

Beatport's bpm algorithm gets confused unless you have a 4 to the floor kick.

Generally it picks up the 2 snares in a bar and assumes that each snare is one beat, hence the 87 bpm.

The way around this is to spend about 30s of your life listening to differnet bpms on a metronome and then you can tell what's reasonable in future.

What if I have a song that clocks at 256bpm, with some odd instruments like ukulele, sitar and lap steel guitar over an amen break? Is it drum and bass?

Ok good to know. I'm going to have my dvs software double the 80bpm tunes so they all are more similar with what they should be.

if you use vinyl with your dvs then go to half bpm imo, the counter sits much more stable than at 174

115 is approximately 2/3 of 174, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the algorithm picking up a triplet pattern in the track.

2/3 of 174 are exactly 116. So it kinda makes sense. Also thinking about triplet patterns. Or maybe it just recognises the kick? Well i don't know but it happened to some of my releases too. Always thought it would be a bug.

Back
Top Bottom