How do you mix a Reese Bass?

LG18

Hi.

I'm having trouble mixing the Reese bass in my tracks.

With all the modulation and because of the wide range of frequencies it hits in, I can't seem to make it sound good. It always sounds out of place.

Any tips?

Cheers. :)

- LG

can you tell what frquencies are lashing the worst? a notch at a snares fundamental and a tight sidechain to the kick are usually the first thing you do. a broad dip in the mids will push it further back in the mix

check your snare and kick, see which freqz they are hitting, then notch those same freqz out of the reese, esp pay attention to the freqz @~100hz for the kick and 150~250hz for the snare

pay careful attention to the freq range from 180hz to 500hz in the reese, this is where lots of muddiness comes in

watch out around 1000hz, esp if you have any other big synths playing, which do you want in front, the reese or the synth? take a wider notch out of whichever is not the sound you want in front

I quite like to take a wide notch out around 300hz, and then a little bit of a wide boost around 1khz or 1.5khz for some extra growl, depending on the sound i'm looking for

very very rough tips...keep at it! try not to over EQ, if it starts sounding thin, strip the EQ out and start again, pay attention to the areas that give the reese its character, and don't over EQ those areas, the more you practice, the less EQ you will need to do

Back
Top Bottom