M audio firewire 1814 - should I buy it?

AUT

hi guys!
I want to create a little home studio, I use ableton and I want to buy a pair of monitor speaker (yamaha hs7?)and an audio interface.
For now I only use ableton with a midi keyboard but for the future I want to record my guitar and maybe other analog instruments.
I was thinking to buy a Focusrite scarlett 2i2 but then I found this m audio firewire 1814 from my guitar teacher, for 150€.
What to you think about this hardware? Should I buy it?
Here is a link with the specifcations:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Oct04/articles/maudio1814.htm

Let me know!
Thanks

AUT

I used to have an old M-Audio FireWire410 that i used with my MacBook. When I updated to OS 10.9, the audio card stopped working. So, naturally, I went driver hunting. If I remember correctly (this was over a year ago, ancient history for my mind) I found a post on M-Audio's site saying they were not planning on releasing any more drivers for my audio card and that, essentially, I was screwed. I do NOT know if this is the case for the 1814, but I figured I'd mention it juuust in case.

It is out of production, so maybe there will be no drivers in the future. Besides I do not have firewire port on my pc, so I should buy a firewire card.
I don't know what to do, a friend of mine said that a good hardware is the M-AUDIO M-Track Quad, or the focusrite
Do you have something to suggest to me?
I think I will use it to record guitar riffs, so I need something with no latency (I think) and with a good recording quality; I need to interface ableton to a midi keyboard, I don't know if it is better to connect it to the pc via usb or throught the external audio card.

The Focusrite Scarlett 2in2out was what I was looking at to replace my old M-Audio card actually. The reason I didn't end up buying it is because I use Traktor to DJ (at the time via MIDI controllers) and needed 4 outputs, not 2 (2 for MAIN out, 2 for HEADPHONE out). I've heard nothing except good things about the Scarlett units. If all you need is an input for your guitar, and only one set of outputs, then it should do the job.

The Scarlett *edit: and the M-Audio* are USB only, so you don't need to buy a FireWire card. :)

I've never tried running my keyboard through an audio card's MIDI, I've always gone directly into my computer w/ a USB.

Never heard/seen/used that particular M-Audio interface so I don't have much to say about it, but my 2 minutes of Googling have shown me its about $100CDN more expensive than the Scarlett is, and that you would get 2 more ins and outs.

At the moment I don't know if I will need more than 2 outputs, which are the purposes a producer should use more than 2 outputs?

If someone in the studio wants a different mix in their headphones than what you are hearing on the main speakers, etc.
For 99% of what you do in a studio (especially if you are working alone), 2 outputs should be fine. I've never used more than 2 at a time I don't think, except for the DJ stuff that is.

Last edited:
I have a focusrite saffire 6, quite a nice audio interface, but, one thing I have noticed with focusrite audio interfaces, is that they don't shutdown properly, if you power down your computer, with your monitors switched on, it'll click and pop several times - to me that's an unacceptable problem, so it rarely gets plugged in any more; but I do quite like the preamps in it, so occasionally it comes out for vocal recordings.

don't know if this problem applies to all focusrite interfaces, but its something to bare in mind, switch your speakers and amp off, before your computer

I think that also 2i2 has the same problem, but if it is the only issue that it has I think I will buy it anyway.
A friend of mine maybe will sell me the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 because he wants to buy a focusrite's HUB.
I don't know the price for now, but being of second hand I think I will spend about 70 eur.

Do you think it is a good idea to buy a second hand audio card or it could be damaged? I have used it at his house and it worked fine I think; there can be any issues maybe after an intense usage or with too high volumes?

Back
Top Bottom