What Effects do you apply for each buss's?

Wrightyy

Wrighty
Afternoon all, you've might had seen me lurking around commenting on a few bits.

I was wondering if you guys could have you're input on what effects for each buss' /perc/bass/overheads/atmoss ect ect..
I mean i'm like next to finishing my first track and have a basic idea..
Im also trying to following the Freq chart but its still above me :unlucky:
Thanks in advance:)
Wrighty

There's no right order, mate. You'll need to go with what you think that sounds good. You see, each song is unique and each producer is also. I sense that most of the answers you'll get here will be what people normally do with THEIR tracks, and what it sounds good to THEM. It doesn't mean it'll sound good on your track.

Anyways, you should study more of what each of the effects do to sounds (distortion, saturation, delay, reverb) and then build your own fx chain.

There's no right order, mate. You'll need to go with what you think that sounds good. You see, each song is unique and each producer is also. I sense that most of the answers you'll get here will be what people normally do with THEIR tracks, and what it sounds good to THEM. It doesn't mean it'll sound good on your track.

Anyways, you should study more of what each of the effects do to sounds (distortion, saturation, delay, reverb) and then build your own fx chain.

Noted & will do!

generally we have a bus with a distorted version of the drums that we mix in for added grit
i personally have a hats, snare and kick bus, then sent to a master drum bus with not much on to be honest, just a light compressor.
all the mids get sent to another bus with a compressor with a quick release sidechain to a ghosted kick & snare track, again with distortion plugin or saturator like FF Saturn, and a transparent EQ like the API series from waves.
long verb and short verb bus
then a 1/4 delay and triplet delay bus.

i'll have a think of what else and add to this

I try to keep things simple but it all comes down to what the track calls for. I tend to send all my drums to a buss with some compression and saturation on. And all my basses to a bus with some more comp. Then set up a reverb send for my percs/snare/hats and synths and maybe a delay send too.

Okkk Nice. Going to research some more into Buss's. think its all about finding alot out yourself. ill try out the side chain haven't experimented much just the basic soo ill have a fiddle.

nice one:)

I find that if you start with good drum hits, all you need is some sidechain, like the hats to the kick to really get things going. If im making something dirty then I dont buss the saturation I put it on the sample. Tbf, I tend to overdrive most of my hits expect kick. You wanna get a clean sound? Stick a good reverb on hats, if you use logic, then youve got the beast of space designer.

Lately I become addicted to Sonimus Satson, I put channel version on every track and bus version on, well, buses. With 1.3 version grouping feature allows to easily bypass groups and see the effect. With busses I usually have sub, mid bass; main drum buss, dedicated kick, snare busses which helps to work with layered hits as one hit.
On drum buss I use 2 buss compressors(one for punch with slower attack and release and one for parallel squashing with fastest settings. I recently switched to Slate VBC for such duties) then PSP VW with a bit of knee for 1-2 db reduction. After that everything just needs some final touches like multiband dynamics for high frequencies(FF Pro-MB) or some kind of distortion(ST Decapitator) or more tape saturation(u-he satin).

On master I have Slate VBC FG-Grey with glue settings for about 1 db reduction, u-he satin with studio preset(30ips can't remember exact preset name), bx_control for making everything below 122hz mono, then klanghelm VUMT(I keep it open all the time for gain staging and checking master volume). Then comes Pro-L for checking loudness. And last one is Magic AB for super easy referencing.
Also FF Pro-Q2 everywhere as default channel preset :)
I recently switched to mixing into analog-ish plugins like VBC, Satin and Satson and found that they really adds something to the end result compared to sticking them after mixing.

As for effects usually there are 3 reverbs(large, small and for drums) and different delays(ST EchoBoy all day).

But at the en of the day it all comes to personal preference and knowledge of how certain effects sounds like and what do you want to achieve. As was previously said with good quality samples you can create good mixes without fancy plugins with just a basic eq/comp.

Thanks for the replies. okay so what I've gone for is Perc/Bass/Kick/Snare/FX groups/busses with verity from dist/reverb. to each group Channel but not too much. but thats just on this kinda of track(roller)
:)

Mixdown wise im crying lol

Back
Top Bottom