I can seem to do any new drums.

IV4

DnBF Sheriff
VIP Junglist
Honestly, I can't.
I am getting frustrated with my lack of good drum quality and more and more I am designing songs around drums I already know will work. The problem is if I finished this track I am basically remaking my track jungle for a third time.
I am so fucking irritated it is not funny. On the bright side I am using new bass techniques that I can't seem to nail down. Any suggestions?

You can. Don't take the "I can't do this.. that" mentality,
It'll take time, but you can,
Are you willing to invest the time in making far better drums than before?

The best thing is, even if you don't know how yet, you do know what you want to achieve. Half the work is done already.

What if ed rush and optical thought, "we can't make bass..."
They obviously did at some point, but did that stop them?

Last edited:
Instead of using big layered drum kits or trying to make Drum and Bass sounding loops, build your tracks around what ever percussion you have using rhythms that sound wrong. Make it fun again.

Well it´s really cool track mate! Umm, it seems bass is quite decent. The one thing that gets me is too much stereo FX on drums.

You can. Don't take the "I can't do this.. that" mentality,
It'll take time, but you can,
Are you willing to invest the time in making far better drums than before?

The best thing is, even if you don't know how yet, you do know what you want to achieve. Half the work is done already.

What if ed rush and optical thought, "we can't make bass..."
They obviously did at some point, but did that stop them?

Your right, sometimes I just want to make tracks and not put in the work to develop new techniques. I also tend to fine making drums more tedious than fun. All I wanna do is make bass.

- - - Updated - - -

Instead of using big layered drum kits or trying to make Drum and Bass sounding loops, build your tracks around what ever percussion you have using rhythms that sound wrong. Make it fun again.
Its good to have a goal in mind and making it fun should always be a goal. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Try using a drum synth.....design your own drums instead of using samples.
I have not done that in awhile good idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Well it´s really cool track mate! Umm, it seems bass is quite decent. The one thing that gets me is too much stereo FX on drums.

The bass needs much more work, and the drums need to be dropped entirely. Thanks for the feedback though.

This technique helps me when I am trying to create new drums by re-creating someone elses
Great for getting new ideas and patterns

Last edited by a moderator:
ARK what the fk was that video?? how to jack a break?? that there is jungle BASIC 101 ffs, i thought he was gonna recreate the camel break in 10 minutes, now that wouldve been something! instead, all he does is show how to slice it? most useless tutorial ever. not your fault krispy, not getting at you here. its just if you dont know how to do that, you can pretty much forget about it.

ah wait, maybe its good for when youre learning a new daw?

edit:

here we go, how to BE flying lotus!!

if this doesnt inspire you, i dont know what will. you can make that kind of burial dnb! or something

Last edited by a moderator:
For an exercise; reference a completely different style track and copy those drums then add your own flair.

Your post is stupid tho, 'Wah i can't make new drums!' .. Ermm, just make some different ones then

layering though. i used to layer rave stabs with my snares and kicks. faintly in the background with vol envs. and then, if the snares and kicks is thuds thumps and smacks youve recorded yourself, you get really interesting results.

i also used to make whole drumkits in my emu. if you dont have an emu its hard to understand why thats special or very creative, but the layers with different filters and vol envs and the internal effects can create something extremely rich and textured.
if youre skilled and lucky.

without the aforementioned you get a bucket of piss, which is annoying and will make you want to quit forever. but dont, theres lots of easy things you can do to make new drums.

For an exercise; reference a completely different style track and copy those drums then add your own flair.

Your post is stupid tho, 'Wah i can't make new drums!' .. Ermm, just make some different ones then
Ha!
Your right, maybe I'm just being lazy.

haha yeah it is basically how to "jack a break"
That technique might help the guy since his question was very basic and it might give him a different approach

Krispy mate i wondered where you'd been! you still writing house or was that someone else?

Krispy mate i wondered where you'd been! you still writing house or was that someone else?

Hehe Im still around just keeping busy, not writing too much house anymore these days. Mostly writing DNB these days..
Thanks for thinking of me, not having an office job anymore means I don't browse the internet for a living :D
As long as you keep making the Russla Mixes im happy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom