Drum and Bass Arena Awards 2014

Exxcessivve

Dawn Wall
VIP Junglist
Let's talk about who we voted for, and if you haven't voted, here's the link http://awards.breakbeat.co.uk/vote.php

Stumped for newcomers at the moment. Voted Zoë Klinck as best vocalist purely because of her singing on Too Good by Halogenix and Kidman by Tokyo Prose.

Critical gets label of the year for the EP's by Emperor & Mefjus, Ivy Lab, Halogenix and Foreign Concept.

Histibe's Third Millenium for best music video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrTbtOdvJ8g&list=UUr8oc-LOaApCXWLjL7vdsgw)

S.P.Y's Back To Basics Chapter 2 for album of the year.

Ivy Lab best producers because I'm loving their sound.

Last edited:
I haven't voted but if I were too:

Nothing to do with who will win would be what I'd chosen. Hospital, Andy C, Friction will all win something.

Yeah as always. It's hard for people who don't get to see many people DJ to choose who they think has DJ'd the best throughout the year so lots probably just go with Andy C because of his reputation. I was gonna go with The Upbeats just because I really enjoyed the stream of their set at (I think it was) Let It Roll

- - - Updated - - -

Dunno what to choose for track of the year. It's down to Homage (Back To You), Running Blind, Her Waves, and Stepped Outside.

Really is it this time of the year again? All the big labels who are calling their fans to vote for them - leaving the ones that really deserve it with nothing. Hell no, not going to support this (n)

Really is it this time of the year again? All the big labels who are calling their fans to vote for them - leaving the ones that really deserve it with nothing. Hell no, not going to support this (n)

Generally the better labels djs etc get forgotten about. Not sure why Mistanoize wasn't best newcomer DJ last year...

We did the forum awards last year which were a much more clearer and better reflection of the scene

These awards are just exciting to me because I get to see what other people think and perhaps find some new music to listen to. But of course it isn't a proper representation of the scene in its entirety. And honestly, I'm one of those people who only know all the big label artists, but none of these votes are due to brand loyalty.

Is Mistanoize even new? I am so sure I listened to a UKF podcast hosted by him in like 2011 or 2010

Did not come to a conclusion in any of the major categories yet :) Also, friends just recommended me a whole lot of 2014 dnb albums, so I have lots of material to listen through before I can decide. Agree with the people who say that that the DNBA awards usually feature at least a handful of artists I didn't really know about before, also I like to watch the ceremony :)

Nothing to do with who will win would be what I'd chosen. Hospital, Andy C, Friction will all win something.

They'll probably win, so what. Hospital has good releases, Andy C is a top notch DJ. Yes some of the awards are no big surprises but others are quite interesting imo, think Best Newcomer Producer or Best Album. Also, I'm okay with the bigger labels getting a lot of praise since it's mostly them that promote the genre to new listeners.

Ahm what makes you think that? please explain..

It's how I got into drum & bass and I've heard similar stories from other people as well. A friend of mine showed me the "dnb" folder on his phone which consisted mostly of main stream dnb and horrible jump up, but I enjoyed it enough to go to a few dnb nights with him, and obviously at some point one of the DJs there would play a not-so-mainstream dnb set. This stuff still keeps happening to me over and over, for example when I go to a festival and enjoy one of the headline acts but then stay for the next set, and then for the one after that, and so on.

Also, regarding Hospital specifically, I love everything Med School do and I don't think they would be able to sign all those new artists and keep releasing albums if it wasn't for the whole Hospital Records / Hospitality events cash cow bringing home the bacon.

Still, that's just my opinion

Actually agree with [MENTION=93330]teenious[/MENTION] on this subject. You can't possibly deny the fact the majority of listeners gets to drum & bass through Hospital or RAM (before it was Pendulum). Granted, many of those never progress any further.

Anyways I voted for Andy C as the best DJ purely because he's still the best, E-Motion Records as the best label since the guys have been putting in a lot of effort this year, basically every single one of their releases is smashing and I play most of their tunes throughout the whole year, Eastcolors' Toys for the best tune as he nailed this one, S.P.Y for the best producer - 2 amazing albums in one year, a few smashing remixes, BMotion as the best newcomer since I really feel his music, Tokyo Prose's Presence as the best album as nothing else even comes close to that one and Mistanoize as the best newcomer DJ because he fucking deserves to get this award finally.

Last edited:
Manchester United used to win the premier league each year. It was excellent, I got the t-shirt and everything. They kept winning and winning and winning each year claiming the title of top team. It was nice, Time passed by with win after win but all of a sudden the manager of the club Alex Ferguson was do to retire and what a manger he was taking the club so far with so many trophies. So the club called in a new manager to taker over this very important role but the thing is it didn't go as well as they expected. The team didn't keep winning like before because they had changed tactics, maybe it was the change of manger taunting the club abit, who knows. But all these tacticts and changes wasn't working and slowing they started to plummet giving other teams a chance to show them selves and eventually it hit me. All these years of my team winning and winning just made the premier league boring. Even tho my team I like so much wasn't doing so well it was ok because I hadn't forgot about them, not at all it just made me realise the premier league just got interesting again...

Did not come to a conclusion in any of the major categories yet :) Also, friends just recommended me a whole lot of 2014 dnb albums, so I have lots of material to listen through before I can decide. Agree with the people who say that that the DNBA awards usually feature at least a handful of artists I didn't really know about before, also I like to watch the ceremony :)

They'll probably win, so what. Hospital has good releases, Andy C is a top notch DJ. Yes some of the awards are no big surprises but others are quite interesting imo, think Best Newcomer Producer or Best Album. Also, I'm okay with the bigger labels getting a lot of praise since it's mostly them that promote the genre to new listeners.

no no no just look at the results from last year

Best Newcomer DJ - Etherwood (hospital records exclusive signing)

Best Newcomer MC - Visionobi
Wilkinson’s MC of choice and a regular performer with the likes of Hospital, Ram Records ... and UKF (aka AEI Media aka drum and bass arena)

Best Newcomer Producer - Etherwood (hospital records exclusive signing)

Best Club Night - Hospitality

Best Festival - Outlook (hospital records dont do a festival...yet)

Best Live Act - Netsky (hospital records exclusive signing)

Best Music Video - Wilkinson – Afterglow (RAM records)

Best Label - Ram Records

Best Track - Wilkinson - Afterglow (RAM records)

Best Album - Camo & Krooked - Zeitgeist (Hospital Records)

Best MC - DRS (probably the only deserved award here)

Best Producer - Camo & Krooked (Hospital Records)

Best DJ - Andy C (RAM Records)

Its almost as if hospital records got together with Ram records and AEI Media and just said, "well which ones do you want to win this year?"

And the other reason i know that this whole thing is a big old load of bollocks; so all of these people are filling out the forms for their votes etc so Wilkinson afterglow best track, camo & crooked best producer, hospitality best night.... are we honestly meant to believe that the voters then all decided to vote for mancunian MC DRS as best MC, who has never done a RAM night or played at Hospitality in the last year? The average person who listens to Etherwood or camo & krooked probably doesnt even know who DRS is! The whole thing is rubbish

I hope Keeno will receive something, his album Life Cycle deserve something.. voted for him in best new comer producer, best track, best album..

Let´s bomb this shit and vote as random as it gets.

Best DJ: Tiesto

Best Producer: Tiesto

Best MC: Beefy

Best Vocalist: Beefy

Best Newcomer DJ: Virtual DJ

Best Newcomer Producer: DJ Sly

Best Newcomer MC: Beefy

Best Club Night: Blue Oyster

Best Festival: Buckfast Barnyard Blast

Best Live Act: Islamic State

Best Track: Gypsy Woman

Best Album: Panini 1982

Best Label: Blue Label

Best Music Video: Basswhore

Last edited:

thank you

I hope Keeno will receive something, his album Life Cycle deserve something.. voted for him in best new comer producer, best track, best album..

Join Date: May 2014. Have you heard any other albums or d&b in general not hospital related this year?

I don't deny that majority of listeners ca(o)me from known artists, labels & tracks but it's pretty obvious that most of the lesser known labels and artists are just being ignored by the curators and creators of this genre. Bar a few exceptions from time to time, mostly generated by hype. That's why most people never get to the stage of hearing any further.

Back
Top Bottom