So I need some advice on buying digital downloads

Agent Smith

Currently Putins Koala
VIP Junglist
I got a mac, i've gone digital. I've transferred the best part of 1000 full tracks I have bought over the years and got because of free downloads when I have bought the record, excellent all 320 wavs. No dramas.

So now i've started attempting to delve into tunes I have on vinyl, that I was pretty sure weren't available digitally.

E.G - Dillinja - Silverblade. My copy on vinyl isn't great and I think the vinyl rip will sound terrible compared to 320 wavs.

The only version I can find is on Amazon MP3 download site

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001IKN882/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Its 100% going to be a 256 kbps file. As you'll see here http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379550

My questions are.

1. Which will be the better copy - the digital download at 256 or the vinyl rip?
2. If the digital download is better, will there be a significant difference when I mix between 320's and 256? I'd assume it would be more noticeable over recordings and on big systems (not that I have played out recently)

Sorry very noob question on downloads thats probably already been covered by a million different people, but don't want to buy a shitload of crap quality downloads and regret it, i'll buy another copy on vinyl if it makes that much difference.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Vinyl rips can be quite good albeit a little quiet sometimes.
If you need any tips on getting the best recording you can, give me a shout.

As for sourcing mp3... have a look about. Check discogs as some tracks were available on compilation cds. You can bag, rip and re-sell.

Vinyl rips can be quite good albeit a little quiet sometimes.
If you need any tips on getting the best recording you can, give me a shout.

As for sourcing mp3... have a look about. Check discogs as some tracks were available on compilation cds. You can bag, rip and re-sell.

Sweet Teds - have looked at one of these elliptic needles but unsure what to go for as of yet, any recommendations?

what you rocking already? hopefully there is one that fits directly into your existing cartridges

Cheers guys. & [MENTION=65342]ThePapa[/MENTION] appreciate the comparisons.

I'm definitely going to try and stay away from vinyl rips where I can. Obvious ones that i'm never going to get digitally i'll rip or just play the record through live input on traktor for the time being...

Back
Top Bottom