DnB FORUM REMIX Contestants!

Vote for

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
nice [MENTION=65744]IV4[/MENTION] some promo for the winner is definitely in order, and can be worth just as much as any prize. i think the thread should go back to production forums doe, wha you reckon? also papa j wants to vote, but its for a track that didnt get any votes so i think thas ok, rigtht? i know its hard to see a point to it, but i think it woudl be good to support the producer that way, its good for the esteem. [MENTION=65342]ThePapa[/MENTION]j would you do us a huge favor and be a judge? its five unes you would need to write a piece on each and rank them, do you have time for that?

Move it

Ok here goes:
First off, well done to everyone who entered the comp. There was some absolutely solid entries and it was tough to nail it down to a handful. It was also nice to hear a wide change up of BPMs and it's going to be very interesting to hear who is behind each entry. We have a wealth of decent producers on here so big ups and :applause: to everyone!

Entry I: Some really atmospheric/haunting vibes here. Very cinematic on that intro with the use of the vocal samples. I felt the intro was a tad too long to get into things, but this is personal preference. It was nice to hear something a bit different from the norm though.

Entry H: Again, something very different from the other entries. This was like a love letter to the sounds of Culprate/Koan Sound. My toes were tapping to this one. The use of vocal was great too. That second drop was pretty damn grotty too. Well done for switching it up and keeping things interesting.

Entry L: Ok back on the DnB vibes again. The intro was short and sweet. The drop sounds like something that wouldn't be too out of place on Critical. It was cool. I felt the snare was slightly dominating throughout, but you really nailed a vibe with this one. The sub-bass had a "gurgling" feel to it and i'd imagine this would sound wicked on a big system.

Entry A: This was one of my favourites out of the bunch. I loved the intro with the piano and strings working together. I did feel that you could have worked slightly better on the transition from the intro to the drop. It sort of came out of nowhere and was a little unexpected. It could have benefited from some kicks to help with that transition. The menacing drop with that reece was wicked though. I think it could have been turned up a bit more, to give the track a bit more presence. You could have also added some rides to crank up the energy factor. This is the kind of style I love in DnB though and would probably play this out.

Entry Q: This entry was awesome. The intro, again, short and sweet. It got to the point very quickly. The snare was punchy as fuck. I felt you could have gone on for another bar or two with the actual "meat" of the tune, but i'm looking at this more from a DJ perspective. I loved the breakdown and the variation on the second drop was solid too.

Well done to our finalists. It's so hard to pick one winner. You all bought some fantastic elements to the table and I seriously am looking forward to checking out who is behind each entry. I'll be having a listen to your original tracks as soon as I find out who you are.
I'm going to have to go with Entry Q though. You really did smash it buddy. Honourable mentions to Entry A too.

Again well done chaps. Now let's dance :rave:

Well Karl has asked me for my comments on this, and given the huge amount of effort you've all put in I'm more than happy to oblige. Also I'd like the record to be altered to reflect the fact that I really really like K, but I misread the closing date on the competition so didn't get to vote for it. I don't think it's fair that K should only have two votes. :shrug:

My own experience of producing extends to a couple of hours playing with Fruity loops when it first came out in the late nineties, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't use the kind of technical language you might expect. I believe I managed to get an eight bar loop going, but was too stoned to finish it. Also I must warn you that I like mixing tunes a lot so I nearly always approach tunes from the point of view of the beat.

I, I like the extended intro.. it's particularly haunting especially when the bass kicks in. Makes me think of the swamp yoda lived in, although a slightly more sophisticated version. The 'fade to grey' type poetry really took me along with it, although I found myself wishing maybe she would do it in french. The beat's not really my thing, but it's a very well put together tune. Also I'd like to know what's being said in the vocal loop at the end, I felt a bit like the FBI listening to a wiretap as I played those few seconds again and again. Please do tell.

H, Had me bopping my head from the off, great beat, great use of vocals. Real funky. Clearly bar oriented, I imagine all sorts of fabulous people listening to this. The tune has some difficulty keeping it's shit together in parts, like rogue beats and such, but that's a minor. The second drop is grimey as. Nice build up again from the drop, it's the beat that really shines through for me here.

L, I love the kicks and powerful driving beat/bass combo on this one. And the stripped down vibe. It's simplicity and rawness is very much part of it's charm. And as Adam says it's a very Critical (ie dope) sounding tune. For my own personal tastes I wish the beat had been darked up a bit, but I think it sounds great as it is. I would definitely like to mix this one.

A, Great intro, love the build up, all the elements are in there nice and early. The tune is well layered, there's a lot going on, and the piano/strings combo is back which helps give it a very atmospheric feel. Could probably have done with a bit more variety ie switch up with the second drop but that's just my opinion obviously.

Q, Sounds a technically accomplished tune, you can tell this person has been producing for quite some time. Love the little noises, I can imagine them working well in tandem with another tune (like 'call and response' style mixes). The second breakdown comes in a bit too soon, but the drop is wicked. The only fault I have with this one is that it lacks bass (I am a bass junkie though it has to be said).

:banana:

Big up to everybody that took part this time around. I was not expecting the quality and variety in the field to be that strong. It's a tough tough decision it has to be said. It's between Q and L for me. If I'm being honest I'd have to say that L, with it's slightly tougher/meaner sound, just pips it for me.

So that's 2-1 to Q so far. I believe Karl said there should be five judges, and he is usually a man of his word. So who's next? Moskit?

Last edited:
Logikz is not allow to be a judge. I think we are just waiting on Sammy. [MENTION=6906]$marty[/MENTION] can you get a hold of him?

thank you judges and contestants!! this was by far one of the better ones weve had!!

i think all judges should rank tunes 1-5 and i wil post the key. moving this thread to production in the morrow.

Back
Top Bottom