How do you get past writers block for melodies?

LG18

Been stuck in a rut for ages.

Every time I write a melody that sounds great, I later realize it sounds like someone else's track.

Cheers.

- LG

Start fiddling around with synths with intentions of bouncing interesting sounds for later use and not thinking about writing a tune at all seems to do the trick, or the same thing, but with samples, chopping and bouncing them out for future projects. Whenever I get started on that I end up just making a tune out of it instead, it's really annoying.

You can also start creating something at a different bpm of yours, if you use 174 create something at 121 bpm for example. It would give you a new perspective to face your 'problematic' track.

With the # of intonations, chords, octaves and expressive articulative options, how is this even a problem? I wish I had a problem like this. Unfortunately, in the last few months, I am cursed with external mongoloids. :(

Are you poetic? Can you write lyrics? Try speaking your thoughts with musical notes by replacing the words with notes.

Writers block is a myth, it's in your own head. Might seem harsh but I once thought the same, but there is no such a thing.

Just come back to writing when you naturally feel capable, do not force it, there is obviously other things going on in your life preventing you from getting into the zone, and if not then you might want to ask if music is for you. Harsh but true, I do not mince my words!

You see, you can always produce different genres when you have difficulties with the one you're making now.

I'm really into dark ambient lately, as I think that I got a little bored of making dnb. Eventually I'll come back to dnb, but not now.

I can never be specific with what I make. Whenever I make a techno tune I end up turning it into a D&B tune.

Try writing stuff at slower tempos. I find that I tend to create patterns that I'd never think of when working at 170 because there isn't enough room.

Back
Top Bottom