Keyboard help

Solace

VIP Junglist
First off, I know there are a few of 'help me i need a keyboard' threads, so if you can't be bothered, click away now.

So, I as the title states, I need a new keyboard.
I've got a small 2-octave one with pads and everything, but, I now need a bigger one.
I just started some sort of musical degree in college and I need to be able to practice my piano playing.
And playing piano with 25 keys is not ideal.

I've been looking into them a bit and stumbled upon this one:
Nektar Impact LX61

why: the price is very reasonable, it has (I think) enough keys to practice piano playing and it doesn't have much bells and whistles I wouldn't use.
And one last thing: the keys are full, to the bottom. They're not keys with like a gap on the side of the keys. And I personally think that plays better (correct me if I'm wrong)

One thing I would've liked extra, are weighted keys. I've played once on keyboards with and without weights, and that does make a difference. But, I haven't found any reasonable priced, 61 keyboards with weighted keys and no extra faders, knobs and pads. Because I don't use them...

Can you elaborate on the "sort of musical degree"? :P

If you need to practice the piano for uni, you can pretty much forget a MIDI keyboard like the one you linked and start looking for proper digital pianos with (graded) hammer weighted keys. Hammer weighted keys are keys that emulate real piano keys so that you can press anywhere on the key with the same force to play the same volume. Graded hammer weighted keys also emulate the feature of a real piano that lower keys need to be pressed harder than higher ones. "Weighted keys" on itself doesn't really mean anything other than that the keyboard gives some resistance when you hit the keys, but correct me if I'm wrong here. Edit: a quick google search suggests that “weighted keys“ and “hammer action keys“ are interchangeably usable terms. Either way, if you are training to become a proper pianist, you will need keys that behave like they use a hammer mechanism as explained above.
If you only need a MIDI keyboard for digital music production, you can pretty much choose every device you want.

Last edited:
Well, I'm learning to become a music teacher in secondary schools (and english as my second subject, but that's besides the point now)
So it's not that I'm learning solely playing piano. It's just that I need to have a big enough piano/keyboard to practice on at home.
Choices choices...

Back
Top Bottom