Production Tutorials (any requests?)

miszt

BASSFACE Royale
VIP Junglist
I've made a tutorial, its about half way thru edit at the moment, covering all the basics of production (mainly aimed at dnb, but applies to most genres), its strictly 101 level, a little bit of info on mixdown, compression and layering....but are there any topics you guys would like covered in some new tutorials and in detail?
Let me know...

Some ideas I'm thinking of doing if ppl are interested:

in-depth Mixdown Techniques (including EQ, Panning, Stereofield Placement, Levels, Sound Selection, Analysis, Compression, Limiting)
Distortion and Creative Textures (FM Synthesis, Saturation, Textured FX, Stereo - will be aimed at Bass sounds)
Stereofields (advanced and in depth discussion of various techniques for sound design, mixdown and mastering)
Cleaning and Preparing Recordings (eg Vocal) for Production/Remixing etc (Audition CC - for ppl without access to a million pound studio to record)
Preparing tracks for playing on Big Sound Systems (often called Mastering, but mastering requires years of experience and a superb studio...this is just about getting tracks sounding good enough to play in DJ sets for eg)

if none of those are interesting, or you would prefer others, let me know...I'm off all of next week and plan to do one every couple of days :)

They will all be done in Ableton using standard Ableton tools, no external VST's at all, and all the info will apply to any DAW, Synth or FX you prefer to use...for some advanced editing stuff I'll use Audition CC

Last edited:
Allmost all things you've listed there are something I would definitely watch... Onyl the recording one not, since I'm not planning on recording in the near future...
But all the rest could be very usefull, I still feel as a newb just turning knobs and playing notes.

Just out of interest, will this be video tutorial? With like voice over or something, or will it be a written thing?

Big ups mate for making this vital tutorials compilation! I am not sure about your knowledge and skills in technical side of music production but I guess you are good if you are at all into making tutorials.

I am considering myself rather advanced producer although I struggle a lot with layering and breaking sound into separate layers(lows, mids, highs) and then combining them back up, each part individually processed to get a full clean sound. Also I get into trouble with layering breaks and percussive elements to create more energy in the track. But also layering a nice snare with minimal phase issues is still considered pretty much a lottery so a well-guided example would benefit me(and majority of us here) a lot. I would be very grateful if you would cover these topics a little bit more in detail. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and yes, are these tutorials going to be free? Because that´s damn important.

Can you do one on 10 really common newby mistakes? Too many things I've learned the hard way and probably quite a few I haven't learned at all yet.

Also on the whole creative process, not getting stuck, finishing tracks. Maybe it's something that can't be taught, but it'd be good to hear your thoughts anyway.

One thing would be a thing about arrangement. I know this is very subjective, but something talking about essential elements a track should have, do and donts of adding elements(how many at once, sitting frequencies together, how to analyze your sounds and come up with a coherent idea of placing them together etc etc).
I guess it comes under mixdown in some sort of way.

Advanced processing! Their are to many tutorial that cover the basics. It would be nice to see a tutorial that went from start to finish and in detail covered all the steps in-between.
Thank you for your time.

awesome, yes to pretty much everything requested above - I'll get on it :) - and yep they'll be free! Video tutorials, I'll walk thru each step of the process....audio will be WAV aswell, so you can listen thru your monitors and really hear whats going on

arrangement - no problem, there are some simple rules to follow (or ignore!) here

layering/mixdown/phase checking - will definitely include

10 common mistakes - I'll make sure to point out the most common mistake for each section/technique and how to avoid them

advanced processing - IV4 can you expand, anything in particular you are thinking of? I'll be going into detail with everything though

The creative stuff is more difficult to demonstrate, but the way I've done the first video, is to create a track and explain each part as it is done, so there will be some creative stuff there....but the main aim of this is to help people with the technical elements; the whole series might be based on that one track, just for continuity...we'll see how sick of hearing it I get tho haha

Onyl the recording one not, since I'm not planning on recording in the near future...

I'm not going to cover the actual recording part, that's not a topic that can sensibly be covered in a few videos lol I'll be talking about the processing of recordings, so cleaning up background noise, clicks and breaths, stuff like that, will apply to samples aswell as songs, and also how mixup/down vocals to create the big vocal sound

Last edited:
I'd love to see some different approaches on sound design as well. Not only basses, but uplifters, downlifters and FX as well. Maybe pick two or three synths that are a common place for people who produce dnb (massive, FM8, sylenth, etc.)

I'd love to see some different approaches on sound design as well. Not only basses, but uplifters, downlifters and FX as well. Maybe pick two or three synths that are a common place for people who produce dnb (massive, FM8, sylenth, etc.)

I wont be doing any synth specific stuff, but once you understand synthesis, you understand most synths...only stuff like step sequencing, and novel FX are different. I will cover some FM stuff in the distortion and textures tutorial tho, it will be applicable to any FM synth

Gain Staging! literally the only thing i have issues with, because of my setup

whats the issue you are having? just make sure input levels are right... (turn them down, usually lol) - so you need to check the Source level (eg Synth Output) and the Input Gain (eg audio interface gain) at each stage

whats the issue you are having? just make sure input levels are right... (turn them down, usually lol) - so you need to check the Source level (eg Synth Output) and the Input Gain (eg audio interface gain) at each stage
i used the phrase wrong. i mean levelling tracks in arrangement when mixing

Advanced processing, kind of a vague statement, i would love to see step by step how you process your bass and drums. By the way, I am really excited for this to come out. Your basic mix down guide lines you wrote years ago help me tremendously step up my game, I am sure tutorials would help me a lot too. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom