Beatport

Why do you all spend so much buying overpriced mp3's on beatport????

They have the best site, I don't have to wait a few seconds to hear a preview like I do on Juno, it's a really good site, I often use it to track and listen to the music I want to buy try and find it on Bandcamp. If it's not on Bandcamp, I buy from Beatport.

They have the best site, I don't have to wait a few seconds to hear a preview like I do on Juno, it's a really good site, I often use it to track and listen to the music I want to buy try and find it on Bandcamp. If it's not on Bandcamp, I buy from Beatport.

There is no competition, the site is pretty much flawless and really facking fast!

I go Amazon tho when i'm doing a big order. And lets be honest paying a little more each track doens't exactly smack the bank balance when tunes are so cheap anyways

A few seconds isn't worth extra pennies in my eyes!

It's not just that, everything loads quickly and it's a really good site, the 'My Beatport, View Latest Tracks' part is really really convenient too. I don't mind paying a bit extra for good service.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no competition, the site is pretty much flawless and really facking fast!

It really is good

It's not just that, everything loads quickly and it's a really good site, the 'My Beatport, View Latest Tracks' part is really really convenient too. I don't mind paying a bit extra for good service.

- - - Updated - - -

It really is good

Fair play if you like the site. Different strokes for different folks as they say!

Have they fixed that scenario of artwork not being included on the file?

Fair play if you like the site. Different strokes for different folks as they say!

Have they fixed that scenario of artwork not being included on the file?

It's never not had artwork for me and i've been using the site for easily 4 years plus, so yeh guess it's fixed

It's never not had artwork for me and i've been using the site for easily 4 years plus, so yeh guess it's fixed

If you but their MP3s or AIFFs they have the artwork, WAVs obviously don't.

I was downloading mp3's (probably going back to 2008 and before) with no artwork. I wasn't sure if it was because I wasn't using the beatport downloader.

ah ok, that's all sorted now. the only (pretty insignificant) issue I have is with the way their bpm calculator works, it always says dbridge tunes or tunes with weird drum patterns are 113BPM, or something around that. I don't really care, but sometimes I like to browse their electronica section for tunes between 160-180 to find weird shit that I can put in sets and I'm probably missing some because of that. But, being able to search by BPM is pretty handy too.

ah ok, that's all sorted now. the only (pretty insignificant) issue I have is with the way their bpm calculator works, it always says dbridge tunes or tunes with weird drum patterns are 113BPM, or something around that. I don't really care, but sometimes I like to browse their electronica section for tunes between 160-180 to find weird shit that I can put in sets and I'm probably missing some because of that. But, being able to search by BPM is pretty handy too.

Random one but when I worked in sales for TalkTalk Business I sold broadband to a guy that turned out to be the creator of Mixmeister. Got talking about DJ'ing and mentioned I played D&B to which he said he could never write a good enough bpm detector that actually picked up D&B as 170. Traktor pretty much always defaults to half or a random 115ish area. I usually tap out or x2 everything when I load new music in.

He put it down to the fact that the beat patterns are too complex because they're not a formulaic 4x4 repetitive beat. I think it would need to be calculated over a longer bar scale to get it right.

the bpm is wrong on 90% of dnb tunes that iv seen. For me it is nearly always the same price as everywhere else, other than the ridiculously expensive exclusives which i have no idea why people are willing to pay 1.5x the price.

If it's counting beats over an 8 bar period for instance intricacies in beat patterns will determine that. It's not simply 8 beats. It could be 13 or something random depending on the pattern.

See i don't know fack all about how BPM counters work but in pretty much every dnb tune the snare is constant, surely they must be able to detect that massive transient and use that?

See i don't know fack all about how BPM counters work but in pretty much every dnb tune the snare is constant, surely they must be able to detect that massive transient and use that?

I'm no expert but I think it counts the number of beats within an 8 or 16 bar period. If you count snares only as an example you'd end up with a dnb bpm of 42.5 or something daft like that.

I fell for that trap with the bpm counter, think that's its only flaw. They should do something about it.

As for the prices try using a beatport coupon you can pretty much find them each month. Ive saved a small fortune using them.

They should allow the label to tell them the BPM really. That should ensure accuracy.

I've never found an automatic BPM detector that works for all dnb, there's always halftime (that's not bad though) and 107 - 114 detections (bad). I wish they made it so you could tell the system roughly the speed it should be detecting so that all it would need to do is work out where the speed sits within a small range of say 168 to 178.

They should allow the label to tell them the BPM really. That should ensure accuracy.

I've never found an automatic BPM detector that works for all dnb, there's always halftime (that's not bad though) and 107 - 114 detections (bad). I wish they made it so you could tell the system roughly the speed it should be detecting so that all it would need to do is work out where the speed sits within a small range of say 168 to 178.

In most cases you can. Traktor lets you pick a variable range to estimate within.

Back
Top Bottom