Jungle/drum and bass difference?

If it helps you guys understand my tagline I'm using an app that lets me access various forms and happened to find this one. The app also lets me have a tagline and I chose a Skrillex song for my tagline because I thought I'd express my musical interests. Although considering everyone, or so it seems, hates Skrillex I can see why there's such animosity towards my tagline and the Brostep genre altogether.

Also, I love jungle/DnB, and whatnot, it's one of my favorite electronic genres next to industrial and so I got on this forum hoping to learn more as well as find other like minded people like myself and it seems I've found it so thank you

All is fair in love and Brostep

Of course it is bro, you never would have joined the site if it wasn't. Oh and now I understand that its a Skrillex thang. Woopdi doo. Skrillex fans are human beings too...lol...and as we can see from this example they are also Jungle and Drum and Bass fans.

As well as the notable tempo difference, Jungle to me is mainly defined by the use of rougher more "oldskool" sounding breakbeats. As opposed to the cleaner percussion used in Drum and Bass. Basically nearly everything from 1993 to around 1997/8 to me is pretty much Jungle.

I strongly believe that Jungle being strictly Ragga influenced is a misconception/mislabeling though. There is plenty of Jungle tracks and styles of Jungle that do not contain any reggae elements.. LTJ Bukem being one of the first examples, His 1993-95 stuff I will always see as "intelligent Jungle" As horrific as that name is, a worthy.. perhaps predecessor to Liquid Drum and Bass.

Also one of the most prolific Jungle tunes released

No Ragga samples

Last edited by a moderator:
Well described Sonic. *tips hat.
The term "intelligent" always made me cringe but was widely accepted at the time.

Of course it is bro, you never would have joined the site if it wasn't. Oh and now I understand that its a Skrillex thang. Woopdi doo. Skrillex fans are human beings too...lol...and as we can see from this example they are also Jungle and Drum and Bass fans.
I don't get the hate for him though, the purists would say he ruined dubstep but honestly I see his style of dubstep as innovation

As well as the notable tempo difference, Jungle to me is mainly defined by the use of rougher more "oldskool" sounding breakbeats. As opposed to the cleaner percussion used in Drum and Bass. Basically nearly everything from 1993 to around 1997/8 to me is pretty much Jungle.

I strongly believe that Jungle being strictly Ragga influenced is a misconception/mislabeling though. There is plenty of Jungle tracks and styles of Jungle that do not contain any reggae elements.. LTJ Bukem being one of the first examples, His 1993-95 stuff I will always see as "intelligent Jungle" As horrific as that name is, a worthy.. perhaps predecessor to Liquid Drum and Bass.

Also one of the most prolific Jungle tunes released

No Ragga samples
I think all things labeled "intelligent" aren't dumb but rather interesting, it's kinda like saying it's "art jungle" or "art techno" when you're talking about IDM

And again thanks for all the answers guys this really helped

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get the hate for him though, the purists would say he ruined dubstep but honestly I see his style of dubstep as innovation

I thought the same way at one time man. I was actually pretty pissed off as Dieselboy hangin with Downlink because I felt that my favorite DJ/Producer was selling out. I don't get into much Dubstep because I don't hear any rhythm in it, although the basslines are off the hook. Ironically the only Dubstep track I like comes from Downlink and its the shit - Ignition. It only took me six months to wake the fuck up and respect.

Lol ok, old-school industrial then, I can give you some links if you need examples but I think you know what I'm talking about

I really don't know what you're talking about!

For me Skrillex came along and turned dubstep into noise with no bass. What's the point in a bassline that doesn't rattle your chest in a club? I liked some of the more wobbly (for want of a better word) stuff like coki, jakes etc but they still kept those dubstep roots. Skrillex just turned it into shittty mosher music for me.

Alls fair in my opinion and Brostep

I really don't know what you're talking about!

For me Skrillex came along and turned dubstep into noise with no bass. What's the point in a bassline that doesn't rattle your chest in a club? I liked some of the more wobbly (for want of a better word) stuff like coki, jakes etc but they still kept those dubstep roots. Skrillex just turned it into shittty mosher music for me.

Alls fair in my opinion and Brostep
Oldschool industrial inventors Throbbing Gristle: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gTljpH7cfW8

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E6y35O_YNzo

As you can see it quite differs from the industrial dance music you hear nowadays, I'm sure you've heard of artists like Combichrist

To your second point, the thing you gotta see is that the whole Brostep genre is that the key there is the heavy bass, the artists who produce it like that sort of loud dirty bass and make the whole song like that. People love that stuff including me.

I'm not gonna lie though I though I thought Skrillex was dubstep until I found people like Benga who I enjoy equally as well as Skrillex.

Of course everyone's entitled to their opinion, I just think that people are overreacting when they claim he ruined dubstep.

One thing I've noticed though, is that DnB fans don't like dubstep entirely and I'm not sure why. I've read opinions comparing the two and it seems DnB is loved while dubstep is hated and I'm not sure why.

One thing I've noticed though, is that DnB fans don't like dubstep entirely and I'm not sure why. I've read opinions comparing the two and it seems DnB is loved while dubstep is hated and I'm not sure why.

Probably not a wise move to white wash ALL D&B heads with the same tag? I got into dubstep through my days listening to UK Garage (late 90's / early 00's). While it wasn't everyone's cup of tea it was good. I've never hated it I just dislike what it has become.

There's still a scene within dubstep (a la Compa) that I really enjoy. The roots stuff.

Ps. It's not heavy bass. It's noise. Heavy bass in dubstep can't be done any better than kromestar does it. His sound is amazing and it isn't noisy!

No no I know, it was just my observation on some other forums and sites that it seemed to me that SOME DnB fans seem to dislike dubstep.

Also since you seem to consider it noise I must ask you, what do you think of drumstep? As the name implies its drum and bass and dubstep mixed together but most tend to be within the noisy bass you described, here's some examples

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQi5ojINO0

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8eJDTcDUQxQ

No no I know, it was just my observation on some other forums and sites that it seemed to me that SOME DnB fans seem to dislike dubstep.

Also since you seem to consider it noise I must ask you, what do you think of drumstep? As the name implies its drum and bass and dubstep mixed together but most tend to be within the noisy bass you described, here's some examples

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQi5ojINO0

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8eJDTcDUQxQ

Not feeling the drumstep stuff mate. Like the minimal kind of half time stuff but not the drumstep stuff.

For me in the current moment I'm liking metalheadz, soul:r, utopia, dispatch, exit. That's the kind of sound I'm into.

Not feeling the drumstep stuff mate. Like the minimal kind of half time stuff but not the drumstep stuff.

For me in the current moment I'm liking metalheadz, soul:r, utopia, dispatch, exit. That's the kind of sound I'm into.
That's understandable, everyone has their own tastes so it's all good

lol
stop-posting-cat-paw.jpg

Loooooong but interesting thread, at some point sound like the Egg or the Chicken dilema, but I think that it would be good to find a confident source of this definition differences. On my personal appealing to my memory, first time I heard about Jungle it was more associted with the old school stuff, and more Reggae related. I heard more about Drum and Bass when I started listening to more Liquid Funk, Neuro and Step things.

Loooooong but interesting thread, at some point sound like the Egg or the Chicken dilema, but I think that it would be good to find a confident source of this definition differences. On my personal appealing to my memory, first time I heard about Jungle it was more associted with the old school stuff, and more Reggae related. I heard more about Drum and Bass when I started listening to more Liquid Funk, Neuro and Step things.

If it's ok with you I'd like to refer you to the post directly above yours. The one with the picture with words on it.

Thank you kind sir.

Back
Top Bottom