Jungle/drum and bass difference?

Loooooong but interesting thread, at some point sound like the Egg or the Chicken dilema, but I think that it would be good to find a confident source of this definition differences. On my personal appealing to my memory, first time I heard about Jungle it was more associted with the old school stuff, and more Reggae related. I heard more about Drum and Bass when I started listening to more Liquid Funk, Neuro and Step things.
On this subject, when did liquid funk become a thing? I know it's a sub genre of drum and bass but I've never got a definitive answer on when it started

All is fair in love and Brostep

Loooooong but interesting thread, at some point sound like the Egg or the Chicken dilema, but I think that it would be good to find a confident source of this definition differences. On my personal appealing to my memory, first time I heard about Jungle it was more associted with the old school stuff, and more Reggae related. I heard more about Drum and Bass when I started listening to more Liquid Funk, Neuro and Step things.

Yeah, but back in the early 90's Jungle wasnt old skool, it was cutting edge, it was slower, and it was born out of Acid House and Rave music. It was Dance or Rave music, then somewhere along the line a certain section of the scene started morphing into Jungle. Cant really pinpoint when I started using the term Jungle, I was still a teenager when it all hit. Probably around about when New Forms won the mercury music prize(had it on vinyl, dont anymore :( ) was I think when Drum and Bass started being used in the press.

Whats funny though is if you think about it, Jungle is a subset of Drum and Bass music, but Drum and Bass is not always Jungle. But Jungle fathered all of the fast breakbeat styles. Acid House started it all off, and at first it was a hodge podge of music, that then started pidgeon holing itself, as various styles found themselves, and found their crowd.

I know most people consider it to be wrong, but I've always just used jungle/DnB interchangeably. Got into jungle as an eleven year old, it's always felt like the same genre since then. Obviously it sounds so different now from back then, but so does Braintax from Tupac, or whatever, you know, still just call it hip hop don't you.

I liked the term "intelligent drum n bass" back then, and the covers that were happening on tape packs/lp compilations. It was all this kind of stuff:

sthccd13.jpg

Loved it! Haha. Sounds a bit shit now don't it.

Having been born in the 1800's I experienced first hand all that is both Jungle and DNB. For me the term Jungle ( Jungle Techno came way before i remember the term drum and bass) much like the terms Rap and Hip Hop, rap is just and element of Hip Hop which describes the scene as a whole, as a way of life.

For me dnb is the same, a way of life. As jumping jack frost once called it the full circumference. Jungle is just a part of it. an element that needs no real defining to anyone who has heard it.

Jungle came out of the Hardcore(or 'ardcore for you uk fellas, lol) breakbeat techno of the 91-93 era, tracks like 2 bad Mice-Hold it Down, Bizzar Inc. Plutonic, Acen- Close Your eyes, and of course very early Prodigy like Outta Space, Everybody in the Place. Mainly stuff like what Sub Bass and Moving Shadow put out when they first started. Then from 93-95 you had the rise of Jungle with the ragga and also heavy piano influence, examples like Renegade-The Terrorist, Peshay-the piano tune, Asylum- da bass to dark, General Pecos-wickedest 'ting around, Trinity-Gangsta, Remarc-RIP, Dream Team-Stamina, Bukem/Peshay-19.5, Rude & Deadly-Mash Dem Down and OF COURSE-DJ SS-Lighter and Shy FX/UK Apache-Original Nuttah. Those tracks define the jungle sound from both the ragga and more mellow piano influenced stuff like LTJ and GLR. Then come 1996 you saw the start of the Drum n bass style that went away from the wild rolling drums, crazy snares and deep sub bass of jungle into the more simple "boom tick, boom, tick, boom boom tick..boom, tick"(forgive my crappy snare drum sound effect, lol). And here we saw the rise of all the late 90s sub genres we all know and love like jump-up, techstep, hardstep, intelligent etc. The early popular tracks of DnB would include Shimon and Andy C-the quest/fight night, Dj Hype-Love, Peace and Unity, Ed Rush-subway, Adam F-metropolis, Lemon D's Urban flava pt 1 lp, Mickey Finn/Aprodite-Bad ass, Nasty Habits-Shadow Boxing, DJ Red-Enter the dragon, Super Sharp Shooter, Rock the Funky Beats etc but then by 1997 we moved into the more up front dance floor tracks in both the harder darker and jump up areas with tracks like- TNT-2 Degrees, Roni Size-Its Jazzy, Johnny L-Piper, Mace Reminiscence, Mampi Swift-the One and lets not forget Krust-Warhead. And the sound of those tracks bled into 1998(which was also probably the peak for the aphodite style jump up) and then come '99 things got faster and darker a 'la mainly Ed rush & Optical(virus), Dillinja, Bad Company, Dom and Roland,Moving Fusion, Andy C& RAM, and entire lables like Renegade Hardware, Trouble on Vinyl, Liftin Spirits, Prototype, Frontline, High Contrast, Cyclone and so on. The evolution of DnB really peaked in popularity from '98-'01 then (at least here in the US) the rave scene goot all but eliminated by new laws in mid 2001 so most electronic music saw a steep decline except for progressive house/trance which still got play on some radio and in all the clubs but a techno or Dnb night(or even one dj) was few and far between.

As for the "EDM" crap that grew out of the rave ashes like Tiesto, Swedish house Mafia, Skrillex, David Guetta, Pendelum, Dubstep, trap, Hardstyle etc is just pop crap that should stay in the trendy clubs in Miami and Ibiza and give us back our dark warehouses fuled by the sounds of Dieselboy, Dj hype, Frankie Bones, Green Velvet and Chris Liberator.

But anyway I hope that breakdown along with all the tracks for you to look up and listen to to will give you a good impression of the start and eveolution of the DNB timeline. And I think the term jungle had to do with the way the drums had a very tribalistic sound lime something you'd hear from some primatives in the african jungle or something, just my thought on the term

Back
Top Bottom