Neuro Bass Processing [Tutorial]

what RUSSLA says,

and, don't be scared if it sounds a bit crappy at the start... keep whacking stuff on it, in moderation, don't start with distortion at level 10, rather 10 distortions in a row only ever so gentle..and what I always forgot, when bandpassing, like horace111 said in the openingpost, you take out alot of the frequencies... so after filtering some eq-ing life back into it

For anyone still struggling with this just a word, all my sickest stuff has come completely by accident so keep fiddling, automate loads of random param9ers, loop random bits, slap some random plugins on a bus and send some of signal there etc.
Exactly! I've had the same thing, and as I said in the original post: it's a guideline , not a template :)
I've also been able to recreate the same process using Serum, might post some more clips of finished basses soon :)

EDIT
More samples of finished basses , which are all achieved by fiddling around with the chain settings (especially putting the distortion behind the filter this time) and the synth itsself. Keep experimenting guys! :D
Sample in beautiful 128kb/s quality

Last edited:
Exactly! I've had the same thing, and as I said in the original post: it's a guideline , not a template :)
I've also been able to recreate the same process using Serum, might post some more clips of finished basses soon :)

EDIT
More samples of finished basses , which are all achieved by fiddling around with the chain settings (especially putting the distortion behind the filter this time) and the synth itsself. Keep experimenting guys! :D

Those are some big sounds. :banllama:

EDIT
holy shit man, that stuff is proper. those are sounds ive been failing to achieve for ages, mind going explicit with detail? <3

EDIT

fuckin sick stuff :O niceeeeee

EDIT

Holy fuck.. those are some sick sounds!!! It would be GREATLY appreciated if you could post a video example of the process you went through to get those sounds!!!!!

(yn) :slayer:

Thanks for the feedback guys :) There's really not much to go into here, it's the same processing chain as the one that inspired me to write the original, I just wanted to demonstrate with the samples that a chain is not static and stuff can be switched around and changed up to create much more interesting stuff. Which is also what I advise you to do when you create basses. Don't stick to one instance of your base-synth, create a few! For example in all these examples it's 6-7 synths all performing a variation of the patch I started with. This allows you to for example create one that has really prominent dynamics, one punchy , one very detuned, one phased, one that sounds gnarlier than the others etc...
As I've said previously too the main difference between the first and the last examples is that the first were made with the distortion unit before the filter , and these ones with the distortion after. You can notice this in the much more present high-end , compared to the earlier examples. i've also just changed some of the distortion types around, and made it less aggressive (since it doesn't need to go through the filter this time).
[MENTION=92349]Mania[/MENTION]: It's the same process as in the main tutorial, only this time I used serum sometimes , but I'm quite sure nobody's able to tell the difference between the massive-based and serum-based examples in that new clip :) I'd also rather not go into just posting patch information here because that would take the fun out of it , now wouldn't it. It's much more important to get there yourself , using maybe some guidelines. Just keep experimenting over and over and over it takes a while to find what you like.
If there's any specifics you struggle with, tell me , and i'll try to help :)
[MENTION=88378]vidnotlaw[/MENTION]: Same as for Mania, The reason I kinda kept the original tutorial very general was because I didn't want to post any patch information here. I don't believe in just giving presets (or video's for that matter) because unless you figure something out yourself it's going to get very hard to replicate it later, or create better versions of it. I'm sure you all have the talent to do this , and I'm even more sure you could do it better than I did. Just keep trying until you find your sound, then keep building on that. I hope I don't come of as a dick not wanting to go to deeply into detail but I genuinely believe finding out on your own is the best way.

Have fun experimenting :D

[MENTION=92349]Mania[/MENTION]: It's the same process as in the main tutorial, only this time I used serum sometimes , but I'm quite sure nobody's able to tell the difference between the massive-based and serum-based examples in that new clip :) I'd also rather not go into just posting patch information here because that would take the fun out of it , now wouldn't it. It's much more important to get there yourself , using maybe some guidelines. Just keep experimenting over and over and over it takes a while to find what you like.
If there's any specifics you struggle with, tell me , and i'll try to help :)
Dont worry about that man, ive made many equally as good basses as that, its just i cant for the life of me nail that sound. I hear youve used noise, filtering, picth, blah blah blah for the phrasing and variations. but that kind of reece, with the texture and tone and filtering just like that, is a style ive heard a lot and have never gotten even close to. Trust me ive dont my fair shair of experimenting, ive recently been achieving the early noisia-style reeces with that distinctive sound they have, but i would love some elaboration for your bass <3

How bout some info trading?

Dont worry about that man, ive made many equally as good basses as that, its just i cant for the life of me nail that sound. I hear youve used noise, filtering, picth, blah blah blah for the phrasing and variations. but that kind of reece, with the texture and tone and filtering just like that, is a style ive heard a lot and have never gotten even close to. Trust me ive dont my fair shair of experimenting, ive recently been achieving the early noisia-style reeces with that distinctive sound they have, but i would love some elaboration for your bass <3

How bout some info trading?
If we're talking texture: You start of with wavetables so there's that , good wavetable synthesis results in good gritty patches with a lot of movement. If you were able to get the noisia reese down , I'm sure you're better at it than me so I don't have to explain you that. Filtering is quite simple too I'm afraid , as in the tutorial it's mainly bandpassing (in case of these samples BP + Peak in serial). Finding a good way to filter was something I struggled with a long time but I basically just got this result by trying over and over. A lot of the time the filter isn't actually opened that much at all, It's more about having short stabs and wobs combined with the right synth movement to accentuate those that does the trick for me. For the variations , yes of course pitch bend , filtering , and the lot have been used. But that's actually not the main thing, it's mostly in changing the actual patch to something different at the right moments. For example if I want one of those harmonic wobs I just make a specific variation of the synth doing exactly that, while not necessarily changing the chain. There's also no synth-noise in here, I just like to use distortion types that generate a lot of flaky noise, it adds a lot of texture and I think it might be part of what you are referring to as 'that sound'. Same goes for the texture that is not noise , like 90% of the grittiness is caused by the distortion, and not by the original synth. Which is btw also the reason I don't like to go into patch details. 99% of my patches sound harsh and ear-piercing without processing, mainly because i change the bass while processing it.
Biggest hint I can give towards this sound though is using one wavetable to FM the other , but I don't know of any other synth than Serum that can do this. (This is starting to sound like a Serum advertisement haha)

Cheers, i do have serum yeah. its not quite the texture, although that distortion you use ive never heard anything like it before. Its more the disprovey kind of Lockheed basses that sound amost vocal, with all the nice clean ~300hz lower mid fullness, but with a gnarly texture that keeps it gritty. thumpers a good example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whQYBwEHkfc

That sound i cant manage to get close

Cheers, i do have serum yeah. its not quite the texture, although that distortion you use ive never heard anything like it before. Its more the disprovey kind of Lockheed basses that sound amost vocal, with all the nice clean ~300hz lower mid fullness, but with a gnarly texture that keeps it gritty. thumpers a good example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whQYBwEHkfc

That sound i cant manage to get close

Hmmm I think what you're refering to is mostly harmonics, have you tried out the 'remap' thing on the wavetables. Remap 2 to 3 usually do a good job of bringing in the harmonics and ensuring mid range fulness (since you're basically remapping the frequencies to those regions :p). And for the distortion itsself I can only refer to ohmicide :) It's my favorite just because of that , I've tried trash, waveshapers, a plethora of distortion plugins but none of them do the clean but precise job that ohmicide does for me. Although everyone I talk to about it seems to hate it for the interface :D

ahaha, yeah i was thinking of getting it when it was on sale, but my 4 other multiband distortions told me not to lol. That distortion sound almost exactly like when you add so filtered noise to a bass, and you use a hardclipper-style distortion to it, sounds amazing.

You know audeka yeah? Ignoring their layering, which is a whole different kettle of fish, their core bass sounds are great examples of what im trying to figure out. Artificial Intellegence is their best track showcasing it.

Back
Top Bottom