When do I start promoting myself?

smoothassilk

VIP Junglist
I've been producing about a year, part time as well as finishing sixth form. Off to uni now.

My tunes are a lot less amaturish than when I started but I don't think they're really amazing yet.

Do I start networking, posting my music about, trying to build a following etc now, or do I wait for a bit until my tunes aren't so s**t?

If it helps, my soundcloud is in my sig so you can judge

the intro reminds me off a madness track.
what genre is that aimed at?im strictly dnb so please excuse me.
id say start now and build up. comments and feedback can only be a good thing. you are you’re own worst critic.

the intro reminds me off a madness track.
what genre is that aimed at?im strictly dnb so please excuse me.
id say start now and build up. comments and feedback can only be a good thing. you are you’re own worst critic.

I don't really like genres. So far, I've tried to make every track different. I want to be a warp records type artist and take influences from all over.

Networking is always important. Get contacts and build up a fan base. But don't ask me what's the best way to do it, because i'm also struggling with it :P If you feel like that your tunes are good enough, send them out to labels where you think the tune can fit. :)

i think you should try and master one genre you love 1st rather than PRODUCING completely different tracks every time (i don’t know what the diversity is in your case)
wether you like it or not all music is aimed at some sort of genre even if you can’t say pacifically... thats a deep house track, thats a progressive house track you still know its house music.
as you are starting out you may not be aware that different genres require different techniques.
im under the impression that you would like to learn all the different techniques producers use as you love all music and want to put that in your music? you still can.
if are trying different techniques every single time, the less chance you will have of nailing a technique.
by all means look into it. for example..... using compression creating pumping sidchain fxs like used in bouncy house. and why dnb kicks may sit a bit higher or lower a than house kicks do.
is all edm fundamentally the same? what about genres like motown or even pop music that can be all genres( look up things like this gain a greater understanding it will only help)

i know from switching genres and then deciding to stick with one instead of both (this is over years btw) i made more progress production wise sticking with dnb. and when i decided to make a one off house track for fun it helped me because i had a greater understanding or techniques and why id use them.

you may say I’ve been rambling but im just trying to help, you can agree or disagree? thats up to you but this is what i have experienced over time.
good luck mate! ill add you on sound cloud im low-kie aka kieran t. im still yet to upload any finished produced tracks but all in good time :)

i think you should try and master one genre you love 1st rather than PRODUCING completely different tracks every time (i don’t know what the diversity is in your case)
wether you like it or not all music is aimed at some sort of genre even if you can’t say pacifically... thats a deep house track, thats a progressive house track you still know its house music.
as you are starting out you may not be aware that different genres require different techniques.
im under the impression that you would like to learn all the different techniques producers use as you love all music and want to put that in your music? you still can.
if are trying different techniques every single time, the less chance you will have of nailing a technique.
by all means look into it. for example..... using compression creating pumping sidchain fxs like used in bouncy house. and why dnb kicks may sit a bit higher or lower a than house kicks do.
is all edm fundamentally the same? what about genres like motown or even pop music that can be all genres( look up things like this gain a greater understanding it will only help)

i know from switching genres and then deciding to stick with one instead of both (this is over years btw) i made more progress production wise sticking with dnb. and when i decided to make a one off house track for fun it helped me because i had a greater understanding or techniques and why id use them.

you may say I’ve been rambling but im just trying to help, you can agree or disagree? thats up to you but this is what i have experienced over time.
good luck mate! ill add you on sound cloud im low-kie aka kieran t. im still yet to upload any finished produced tracks but all in good time :)

I don't think music is ever going to be a thing I make a living out of, so I don't really want to stick to one genre just to sell tracks. Someone round here has a blumarten quote in their sig which sums it up quite nicely, something to do with shit synth riffs.

seriously thats why people make music in the 1st place because its fun!!!! don’t even think about money or being professional.

song writing and producing can been seen as separate if you want it to be.
maybe just consentrate on song writing, different styles what ever you want to do,

if you are not or will never be bothered how it sounds/professional or even (good standard) then why are you asking when should i promote myself?go ahead do anything GET FEEDBACK state what you are trying to achieve with the project.

the way you produce can drastically change an original piece of music. sounds design/sample selection for a start.as you are making your music being able to use all the tools, and get everything down sounding how you want it to be is a big advantage because you wrote the track and know exactly where your going.

maybe promote based on the songwriting to get feedback.
you can then worry about getting the ideas you have down without worrying about production.but it is all linked process, wether you want take it further or not.

main objective have fun!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom