Xone filters and EQuing.

hyperd4eva

H&M SCARVES
VIP Junglist
When using filters on a xone should I be using the actual EQ controls on the mixer? I.E I have been leaving both channels with the bass, both mids and treble up and just using the filter knobs at the bottom to do all the work? it seems to work well but should I do be doing it the other way round?

hope this makes sense

When I first got mine I used to only use the filters, but now will often use a combination of both. For example if I switch one tune so it is being high pass filtered, I will sometimes take out some of the hi's and mid 1's so it isn't as harsh. I think its a good idea to use both in some cases so that you can affect the frequencies that are missed with the hi pass

When I first got mine I used to only use the filters, but now will often use a combination of both. For example if I switch one tune so it is being high pass filtered, I will sometimes take out some of the hi's and mid 1's so it isn't as harsh. I think its a good idea to use both in some cases so that you can affect the frequencies that are missed with the hi pass

big up mate. nice one

There's no wrong way. I use mostly filters these days. I think Friction only uses the filters too.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice post.

Also if you use 3 decks and you have 2 tunes already in the mix and you are bringing in a third tune to tease for example, its good to eq the lows so that you can keep both the tunes assigned to the same filter but bring in the third tune without it being at the same level as the tune already in the mix.

That might not make any sense haha

Also if you use 3 decks and you have 2 tunes already in the mix and you are bringing in a third tune to tease for example, its good to eq the lows so that you can keep both the tunes assigned to the same filter but bring in the third tune without it being at the same level as the tune already in the mix.

That might not make any sense haha

Makes sense to me, trying to juggle the filters with 3 decks just gets hectic. 3rd deck is never assigned to a filter.

Makes sense to me, trying to juggle the filters with 3 decks just gets hectic. 3rd deck is never assigned to a filter.

I always use the filters on all 3 decks. It does get less confusing with time! Gotta always be thinking ahead, as soon as I have a tune on a deck I will be assigning the filter in advance.

I always use the filters on all 3 decks. It does get less confusing with time! Gotta always be thinking ahead, as soon as I have a tune on a deck I will be assigning the filter in advance.

How does that work tho if those filters are assigned to the other 2? cos say if you assign it to an already high passed filter and bring it in, you'd have to lop of the bass of the outgoing track anyways ... I've tried to use filters on 3 but always found it was more effort than its worth. Using the bass EQ on the 3rd just makes everything so much easier imo.

How does that work tho if those filters are assigned to the other 2? cos say if you assign it to an already high passed filter and bring it in, you'd have to lop of the bass of the outgoing track anyways ... I've tried to use filters on 3 but always found it was more effort than its worth. Using the bass EQ on the 3rd just makes everything so much easier imo.

Say there is tune A assigned to the left filter which is being highpassed, tune B assigned to the right filter which is not being highpassed. You would then have tune C assigned to the left filter also before you bring it in as you know in advance that you also want that highpassed. Bring tune C in, switch the frequencies so that tune B is being highpassed. Then the next tune you cue up will be assigned to the same filter as tune B so it will also be highpassed. Etc etc.

i see what you mean but if you wanted to have 3 tunes rolling you'd still have to switch the bass of A when changing the filter for tune C. So it's kinda pointless imo to use 3 with filtering etc, if ya getz meh?

I would never have 3 tunes in the mix anyway for long, only when bringing in a 3rd to tease and then by the time I switch it in I would have brought out the other tune. Each to their own, I just love the filters!

I also use a combination of both. Having both treble knobs at 12 o'clock usually sounds harsh. It's sound on top of sound. It also means the overall output volume will become significantly quieter once you bring a tune out.

I also find the I need to lower the low mid with certain tunes when having the filter up too high cuts too much of the tune out. It's usually to stop the mid of a snappy kick coming through. I often find myself doing it with Break tunes.

Also if I'm mixing any tunes by the likes of Noisia or Phace I end up lowering the low mid slightly so that there isn't too much of a contrast of weight between the two tunes. It's always different though.

i've found using eq's makes for a smoother transition than just the filter. i use the high pass for little cuts before the drop or dramatic points

:gimp:

It depends very very much on the tune - when you're blending stuff that's relatively straightforward kick-nare-snarlybassline then you get really really good results with the filters alone, but when you're playing drumfunkier stuff then really careful eq-ing with the goal of designating space for each tune becomes a lot more important, and while filters can definitely add to that they can't really replace the role that EQ plays in a good mix.

- - - Updated - - -

obviously your crossfader curve plays a huge part in this as well.

I never rely soley on filters - eq is essential with filters if you're going to use them. On the track that's less prominent in the mix I typically have high and mid filters set and nob turned to anywhere between 10 and 12 oclock depending on tune. Then slight adjustments to the high and top mid eq so the track sits on top of the more prominent tune.

Nah not really. Some tunes are bassier than others so you need to compensate. I also turn the bass down a bit on a tune that I cut in every now and then for a smoother mix.

I pretty much never boost the EQs. Even if boosting brings out certain frequencies which may be lacking in some tunes it almost never makes it sound better overall. Some sub basses will just hit harder than others even if they're pushing the same amount of signal (this also depends on your speakers), nothing wrong with that imo.
But yeah in general when using the high pass, I leave the bass EQ at 12. Unless it's some stupid-loud RAM or similar pressing where you actually need to turn the bass down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom