Mefjus album on Critical

I am literally wetting myself over how good this album is, surpassed the hype by miles. Which is a extremely rare thing for me to say...

Not a bad album at all. Don't really get all the love for surrounded though

For me who doesn't listen to quite as much as the heavy stuff these days it just sounds like a tune you'd completely slay a dancefloor with! Last tune of the night job!

Don't really get all the love for surrounded though

+1. Pretty standard Mefjus tune imo.

This dicks all over Icicles album.

In terms of being full of playable bangers, maybe. In terms of being an actual album, nah, absolutely not. Icicle created something you can listen from start to finish on repeat and don't get bored after hearing the second tune.

Had a couple of listens, as an album from start to finish, it doesn't come close to some of the other top albums from this year. However there are some really great individual tunes in here. Really like Change of Mind, Blame You and Expedition.

any idea when this will be at Juno or Redeye? Want ASAP but don't wanna pay the same price for shipping as the records themselves...

^yeah that put me off buying the vinyl a bit (that and needing to bag kimyan law ena and clarity albums lol)

got just the cd

Always remember, that´s your POV.

I think it´s boring as fuck. :korf:

True, but I think this pretty much defines an album as a concept. Something that holds together, every tune has its place and works as a part of the whole thing instead of standing out on its own. That's why I don't rate some of the albums people seem to be bigging up this year (Mefjus, State Of Mind, even Lenzman to some extent)...all of those contain great tunes which I like to listen to and play out, but doesn't really hit it for me as albums. I'm just used to rate albums by that logic since I was listening to a lot of different music before I've got into drum & bass and I feel it's something that's been missing in the genre (at least in the last few years, most of the dnb albums are just random collection of tunes from the same producer but lack any kind of narrative or even concept).

Always remember, that´s your POV.

I think it´s boring as fuck. :korf:

I've had the Icicle album on the headphones at work this morning! In terms of long players Icicle's idea seems to have been to make that kind of album but I'm not sure he's nailed it.

Feels like Mefjus has done an old skool 'bangers' type album. I've yet to play it start to end but it feels from a skip through point of view it's more of a DJ's album than a music listeners album.

I could be wrong though and again it's all OPINION!

- - - Updated - - -

Also to throw the conversation in another direction I'd love to see what kind of album Blocks & Escher could put together?!

Well after the liquid overload earlier this year. I'm gladly listening to this LP start to finish on repeat...

I

Need

That

Rough

Fuck!

:teeth:

+1. Pretty standard Mefjus tune imo.

In terms of being full of playable bangers, maybe. In terms of being an actual album, nah, absolutely not. Icicle created something you can listen from start to finish on repeat and don't get bored after hearing the second tune.

All about the bangers mate!
I'm not sure I agree about a 'concept album' comment though. An album could have a great concept but then if the music doesn't do it for you then the concept is useless. The music always comes first innit.
They may be less variation in the Mefjus' album, but theres about 4 or 5 tracks in there that absolutely kill it for me. I didn't get that feeling with Icicle's.

All about the bangers mate!
I'm not sure I agree about a 'concept album' comment though. An album could have a great concept but then if the music doesn't do it for you then the concept is useless. The music always comes first innit.
They may be less variation in the Mefjus' album, but theres about 4 or 5 tracks in there that absolutely kill it for me. I didn't get that feeling with Icicle's.

I like music. Music doesn't need to be banging to be good :) And when I listen to Mefjus' stuff, I often get a feeling I'm not listening to music at all, just an ever-so-raging well-organized sound/noise. Hence why I'm not a huge fan of his stuff, I like 2 tunes on this album tho and can see the appeal to those who likes his sound/who likes dark dancefloor bangers in general. Then again I'm not that guy :D

Taking, Blame You, Change of Mind and Brainwork are my favourites after having a full listen to this.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the Mefjus vs Icicle thing in terms of their albums, I'd say Mefjus wins in terms of production quality and dancefloor compatibility, Icicle wins in terms of a better album concept and has more variety.
The two albums follow different ideas so to be honest, there's no need to compare the two albums, they're both pretty great!

And when I listen to Mefjus' stuff, I often get a feeling I'm not listening to music at all, just an ever-so-raging well-organized sound/noise. Hence why I'm not a huge fan of his stuff..

I defo see where you´re coming from, I had this feeling about some of his tunes before this album and other fairly new artists aswell.

Clean, hard, well produced stuff but pretty much without soul or just too chaotic, too much noise crammed in, no vibes at all.

Back
Top Bottom