What got you into drum & bass music?

It was around the year 2000, I was trying to sleep with a girl and she told me she would meet me at a club in a near by city. I remember her asking me if I liked drum and bass and I said, "Yea, their cool, I play guitar." She then said drum and bass was a kind of electronic music and I was like, "Trance is cool." I hated trance by the way.
Any way I following my penis down to a club playing some kind of shitty house music and this not so large guy wearing a hoodie stood in the middle of the dance floor by himself bobbing his head. I thought to myself, "what a weirdo."

Then an MC came on stage and announced the headliner DJ Zinc, The guy in the middle of the room walk up to the decks, and then change my life forever. It is the rhythm and the reece that gets me every time, even until this day.

It was around the year 2000, I was trying to sleep with a girl and she told me she would meet me at a club in a near by city. I remember her asking me if I liked drum and bass and I said, "Yea, their cool, I play guitar." She then said drum and bass was a kind of electronic music and I was like, "Trance is cool." I hated trance by the way.
Any way I following my penis down to a club playing some kind of shitty house music and this not so large guy wearing a hoodie stood in the middle of the dance floor by himself bobbing his head. I thought to myself, "what a weirdo."

Then an MC came on stage and announced the headliner DJ Zinc, The guy in the middle of the room walk up to the decks, and then change my life forever. It is the rhythm and the reece that gets me every time, even until this day.

Came for the Pussy, stayed for the Drum & Bass! :teeth:

My mum used to listen to either Techno or D&B when she was tidying. Techno + Hoover + Mr Sheen used to give me a headache so naturally I became a Junglist.

I didn't actually start taking notice of any music until I was about 12. I had my mums cd Walkman and used to listen to Prodigy - 'The Experience' on repeat at school. I did the old earphone up the sleeve trick, although I think everyone else could hear what I was listening to because the sound leaked

The first set I listened to was a Nicky Blackmarket & Stevie Hyper D radio set which was the turning point.

Then I discovered DJ Hype, Mampi Swift & Andy C and went from there really.

metalhead from 7, pendulum peaked my interest when i was about 12, then some jump up caught ears, thought it was sick, come 2008, my mate shows me Noisia - Stigma... and the rest us history.

minus the dubstep phase

One in the jungle in 1995/6/7 radio 1, used to fall asleep listening to it late on school nights when i was 14, ..31 seconds

then it was tape packs, helter skelter but i drifted over to techno/gabber

then black metal and got back into dnb again in 2010 after finding the one in the jungle archives

I almost hate to admit it, but video games got me into the scene.

I live in the States, so Jungle and D&B isn't really that big over here, especially compared to the UK.
Back in 2001 I heard my first proper jungle mix in GTA 3, on MSX FM, which was an in-game radio station produced by Moving Shadow records; Timecode on the decks with CODE:Breaker as the MC.

So, I started in 2001 with the sounds of classic hardcore from Moving Shadow... Calyx & Teebee, Rascal & Klone, Dom & Roland, Omni Trio, Ryme Tyme, Aquasky...
That veered me into the genre, and the rest filled itself in... in the early 00's everything was sort of blowing up, so I got into the more well known artists of the time; Spor, Noisia, Dieselboy, etc... and then branched out into everything else.

With all the popular artists of the time, though, I never got into Pendulum. I couldn't stand their Clown-Queef Lead that they used in 50% of their fucking songs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Got into Garage when I was 11/12 thanks to the Pure Garage series being advertised on TV, used to blast those CDs through my Dad's CD Walkman every day on the way to school. Also got into graffiti/painting. A guy called DJ Jev used to get the same bus to school as me and asked what I was listening to/into music wise. I was bemused when he giggled when I said "Garage", apparently it was "girls' music" by that time haha, so I listened to his proper Walkman for a bit. Cue Shabba going nuts over Milky Way on a Brockie tape, back when the tune was still a dub.

Jev also happened to have a Saturday job at Vinyl Conflict, the record shop run by Special K, which was round the corner from me. Literally a minute from my house. Best sales pitch he ever did! Most of my paper-round money then went on tape-packs etc, and got really into underground drum & bass music before my first rave - nearly 10 years ago. Back when Friction was doing warm-up sets! Mampi Swift was my first hero, then DJ Zinc. Only realised the internet was ghey for Andy C when I joined this forum :teeth:

inb4 brooooooool

Got into it pretty late, never had a big own musical taste untill I was about 15, even then I only listened to indie/rock/metal and whatnot. Electronic music was garbage, because I thought it was the shit they always played at bars. Come around to me being 17 and finding some of the deeper dubstep and pendulum and that made me a little bit more open minded towards electronic music, saw Pendulum live and wanted more.

Went looking for other dnb acts and the first things I found were Black Sun Empire and Noisia. Saw BSE live first and it had a great energy to it, then when I turned 18 I decided, fuck it, I'll just go to a noisia show in their hometown on my own, since I didn't know anyone who liked the music too (beside my gf at the time, but for some reason she couldn't go or something). Almost didn't know any of the tracks, room opened at 11 and I was there completely pissed at a quarter past. Still, the music got to me and I was bouncing solo on beats from the Upbeats and later that night Noisia without really knowing most of the tracks played.

Met a lot of people there and 4 years later I still go with them to basically every noisia gig in Groningen and oftentimes try to get them to go with me to other towns for sweet events. Don't always succeed and sometimes they bail on me, but I don't really care. Going alone to events has it's charms too and if I don't feel too good I can just lose myself in the music and I just zone out and dance.

Pendulum - Slam on the radio
Googled "drum and bass"
downloaded D&BA - Futurebound 3Deck Mayhem

went on from there really

I almost hate to admit it, but video games got me into the scene.

I live in the States, so Jungle and D&B isn't really that big over here, especially compared to the UK.
Back in 2001 I heard my first proper jungle mix in GTA 3, on MSX FM, which was an in-game radio station produced by Moving Shadow records; Timecode on the decks with CODE:Breaker as the MC.

So, I started in 2001 with the sounds of classic hardcore from Moving Shadow... Calyx & Teebee, Rascal & Klone, Dom & Roland, Omni Trio, Ryme Tyme, Aquasky...
That veered me into the genre, and the rest filled itself in... in the early 00's everything was sort of blowing up, so I got into the more well known artists of the time; Spor, Noisia, Dieselboy, etc... and then branched out into everything else.

With all the popular artists of the time, though, I never got into Pendulum. I couldn't stand their Clown-Queef Lead that they used in 50% of their fucking songs...

DJ Timecode was actually the Moving Shadow label owner, Rob Playford.

I used to do exactly the same thing. Leathering round Liberty City in an Infernus with Omni Trio - First Contact blasting out.

Re: What got you into drum & bass music?

SUPA SUPA SUPA SHARP

WUT

also i like this melody :hotpants:

shy fx used to drop that tune wiv t-10 . was fuckin sick

- - - Updated - - -

yep shy fx got me into dnb.

Back
Top Bottom