Dom & Roland Remix LP (Audio, Break, Mefjust etc)

Surely you just eventually know what tunes go together in your record box as far as key is concerned. Technimatics Desire Paths is so fucking quiet and I have a shite old mixer anyway so I get so stressed out when I cue it and forget not to turn it up loads.With 33s too the pitch response is a bit less precise I feel, copying Frictions Leave with Night Vision is a pain on 2 33rpm bits of wax!!!

Was expecting more from that Break remix.

Never mind, the Jedi & Mind Feeders remixes more than make up for that....OOOSH!

yeah i agree with a lot of what you said there but i think you do have to take into account the labels themselves with this whole 33 phase. Vinyl isnt a profitable format for selling records really and in the case of this record, they've put 12 tunes on vinyl. If all those were at 45, then you would have 6 plates and that would probably be retailing at about £30. Now a price tag like that is gonna put a lot of potential customers off and due to the high cost of manufacturing 6 plates, it means its very risky for the labels if the record doesnt sell. Now because this release is 2 plates, they're selling it at £12 which is gonna be affordable for more people who dont wanna spend £30 on a record. I suppose they could do a limited special edition 6 plate run which would be good but i doubt they will

yeah I get ya bro - I just really think this move is going to help the sales at all; in fact I think it will make it worse. If people like me (who spend a lot of money and are dedicated to the format) get put off by it, and it doesn't convert some digital DJ's to start buying vinyl all of a sudden (which I think is a fair assumption), then the market begins to thin even more. If it costs less for the labels to produce the product, but they are left sitting with half of the pressings then are they better off? I wouldn't have thought so...

Bottom line is I would have bought the albums by Technimatic, Logistics, Royalston, Keeno, Etherwood, etc if they were 2, 3 or 4 plates with 1 tune per side at 45 (with well-chosen tunes on the record). As I result I didn't buy a single one of those. Not exactly a win for D&B vinyl IMO....

I just keep looking at smaller labels like Samurai, Horizons, and recently Integral with their album. They are prepared to press quite a lot of the albums content to vinyl - and people appear to be buying them! Maybe Geoff can add to this or something, but that to me is telling.

Maybe I'll just go sit in a dark room and have a cry or something

My take on it is that the vast majority of actual DJ's (bedroom, professional or otherwise) have moved away from vinyl, and the people who are buying vinyl nowadays (d&b or otherwise), are more the collector types who want to listen at home (this fits my profile), where it doesn't really matter if there are 2 tracks per side at 33. I think people like me would rather have 2 tracks per side and more tunes on vinyl than have say a 10 track album with only 2-4 cuts pressed to vinyl. Similarly I would much rather have a 4-track 12" at 33 than for only 2 of those tracks to get pressed to one 12" at 45 and have the other two be digital (a common practice these days). I understand where you're coming from as a diehard vinyl dj though, big up yourself.

My take on it is that the vast majority of actual DJ's (bedroom, professional or otherwise) have moved away from vinyl, and the people who are buying vinyl nowadays (d&b or otherwise), are more the collector types who want to listen at home (this fits my profile), where it doesn't really matter if there are 2 tracks per side at 33. I think people like me would rather have 2 tracks per side and more tunes on vinyl than have say a 10 track album with only 2-4 cuts pressed to vinyl. Similarly I would much rather have a 4-track 12" at 33 than for only 2 of those tracks to get pressed to one 12" at 45 and have the other two be digital (a common practice these days). I understand where you're coming from as a diehard vinyl dj though, big up yourself.

100% this for me as well - I buy the vinyl to collect more than anything else and want as many songs as I can get on my 12 but always want the option to download the full album anyway

I definitely get that, I just wouldn't have thought a release like this would sit in the 'listen at home on your nice speakers' category...maybe the Fourfit EP's and that sort of thing. Will be interesting to see if it works, as from what I have seen with the recent Critical releases is that the Goliath EP is still available everywhere (1st pressing I presume), and from what I can see the Missing Persons EP got a repress...maybe that is quality of tunes and not format however.

I definitely get that, I just wouldn't have thought a release like this would sit in the 'listen at home on your nice speakers' category...maybe the Fourfit EP's and that sort of thing. Will be interesting to see if it works, as from what I have seen with the recent Critical releases is that the Goliath EP is still available everywhere (1st pressing I presume), and from what I can see the Missing Persons EP got a repress...maybe that is quality of tunes and not format however.

Rather than quality it is more about style of D&B. Samurai is successful in always getting a sell out of vinyl plates because their output fits with with home players and DJ players. If you take Dispatch on the other hand, their output of vinyl selsection is more based towards DJs rather home players. It is even more appearent when the releases that get sold in large quantities, even getting sold out are the ones that are more aimed at the home players - DBR UK's EP, Halogenix's Take The Lead EP etc.

I definitely get that, I just wouldn't have thought a release like this would sit in the 'listen at home on your nice speakers' category...maybe the Fourfit EP's and that sort of thing.

I do absolutely agree that this remix lp is a strange one to have more than 2 tracks per side given the more dj-friendly/club nature of the tracks.

Bottom line is I would have bought the albums by Technimatic, Logistics, Royalston, Keeno, Etherwood, etc if they were 2, 3 or 4 plates with 1 tune per side at 45 (with well-chosen tunes on the record). As I result I didn't buy a single one of those. Not exactly a win for D&B vinyl IMO....
I got both the Keeno and Technimatic albums. The main problem for me is not that they are 33 and/or quiet, but that they're not black. They look cool when you take them out of the sleeve, but it's really hard to see the grooves when the plate is on the turntable. The white Keeno plate is especially bitchy.
Makes mixing them a lot harder, at least for me. And it gets a lot worse in a club with low lighting :S

Was peed as 3 per side but just turned up the gains and joy was restored and getting the cd included makes it extra extra extra sweet

Can't believe nobody has mentioned that Nocturnal remix!

Its unreal... It sounds like if Ed Rush & Optical had released a bit on Quarrantine during their Wormhole era.

Like an angry steppy virus bit, with the rolling progressive sound of a Quarrantine piece.

Pure fire!

Can't believe nobody has mentioned that Nocturnal remix!

Its unreal... It sounds like if Ed Rush & Optical had released a bit on Quarrantine during their Wormhole era.

Like an angry steppy virus bit, with the rolling progressive sound of a Quarrantine piece.

Pure fire!

totally agree, awesome remix

Those intro drums are killing me, if he didn't sit in the studio & say "right, i want these intro drums to sound like and have the impact of the alien girl intro section"

I'll eat my hat...

:)

Thats the first thing it reminded me of when i listened to it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom