DnB Mix comparison advice

mykeythemusic

Hey guys, first post! I know it can be blasphemy to make your first post a question but I need all the feedback I can get on this particular project!

I've been have another go at mixing my tracks properly.. Again! Generally I just want to get them to sit tighter with better use of stereo space, levels etc. However, I'm having trouble with the overall bulk of the sounds. I feel like if I push them too much they lose 3d space but if I leave them down a bit (on the compressor/limiters) it sounds a little frail.

Just off the cuff opinion, which is better mix wise on the intro? And what faults stand out immediately to you. These are already mixed versions, so I'm starting mix number 3 today, hopefully the last one!

I'm only focusing on the intro for now

The second one has a lot of limiting on it, each sound individually and the stereo bus, I can't tell if this is good for impact of just squashing it too much.

Honestly, I found there is no real way for any thing to be mixed. I have tried mixing at lower volumes and I have mixed with everything red lining and a limiter on the master. I think your goal should be to make it sound good. If it souds good it is good. What is great about this fourm is people will hear things you won't, and tell you about it. For example, I just bought new monitors. I was so adept to mixing tracks by not hearing any bass I over compensated the highs. It helped when people said this or that was to loud because it gives you a reference point.

I think the first one sounds better. Very nice intro, did you make all those sounds? Would love to try a remix of this tune btw

I know the feeling, I usually mix quiet and then boost at the end but I'm never sure as I listen to them so much!

I think the first one sounds better. Very nice intro, did you make all those sounds? Would love to try a remix of this tune btw

Thanks! Yea the song/bassline riff it's self is definitely going to be altered. Pretty much, I mean to get a lot of those sounds you have to sample re-world things like glass smashes, breathing, wind etc. and then reverse and manipulate them so they're twisted and diverse but still organic and tangible. Lots of crescendo type envelopes, lots of reversing!

When it's done, I'll send you a message on sound cloud about remixing it :)

Back
Top Bottom