DnB Forum Remix Competition!

IV4

DnBF Sheriff
VIP Junglist
Hello, this is logikz speaking!

Big up IV4!
Ivan, your majesty is unparalleled.
This is a great idea, and i think we will all have a lot of fun doing this!

Be sure your submission is as tight as you can possibly make it before submitting it.
Competition will be fierce and ruthless looking at the contestants.

To submit your tracks,
upload your tracks to some kind of online storage thing, like sendspace.com or what have you,
and PM either IV4 or logikz the link,
as we will admin this compo.

We got Sammy Dexcell (!) and hopefully Reactor Girls (eastern promise audio) on jury duty,
along with possibly myself and IV4, should it be needed.

Be sure to have your tune done and submit on time, as it is only fair to keep the deadline final.
Having said that, there is a possibility for extension if we have less than five submissions by the end of September.

The rules are as follows, but please keep in mind, some bits are subject to change.
Not regarding songwriting, those rules are final, and set in stone, but other things might change, like judges, deadline, whether there will be a public vote, etc.

a) The deadline is THE 1st OF OCTOBER
and there might possibly a public vote, depending on how many submissions there are.
If there are many, there will be a public vote first, for the three finalists, which will then be taken into consideration by a jury of trusted men.
if there arent very many, the judges will simply decide, judge and rank the entries.
To clarify, usually around five entries is a success, and anything over that is total multiball bonus round, and will most likely result in a public vote poll before the three finalists go to the judges.

Come to think of it, Ill have to see about implementing polls again, it occurs to me that feature is currently unavailable in the forum software, and im going to have to check with @dnbforum if that is something we can enable again. Ill get back to you about this, when i know more.

b) You are allowed to record vocals, singing, rapping, spoken word, whatever you like.

c) Any kind of resampling is allowed.

Any kind of morphing, warping, transmogrification of the sounds is allowed, but keep in mind, you might be challenged to explain how you came up with your sounds, under pain of disqualification. Granted, its never happened in the history of the forums compos, so far, but it might.

d) No adding external samples, however, please feel free to liberally use the results of your resampling, cut up, reversed, looped, and granular (for example) synthesis of the original samples. Which could be anything really, long as its not from an external sample (as in a sound that does not have its origins in the stems provided below)
It has to be something you got from resampling or cutting up and editing or whatever, you get the point.
Sampling the full tune is a-ok, in case you were wondering.

e) And, finally, you must maintain the vibe of the original. In the sense that it has to be reckognizable as a remix, somehow.
its a remix compo, not a new song compo.
this doesnt mean you cant write whatever you want, because you can, but you have to retain the feel of the original, even if you make an idm ghettometal death glitch progressive ballbag skiffle version (thats no problem, do any style you like), you have to keep the original vibe somewhere in there. It is pretty standard when it comes to remixes (otherwise its no a remix and therefore not eligible as a submission for this compo) and not very difficult to grasp, but, i figure, important to mention.

Let your creativity flow!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The winner:
Such a person will be awarded all the internets, which we will announce publicly on the forum. Imagine the prestige. It is unthinkable. Only its not. Because we will be awarding it.

To you.

The winner will be featured on the dnbforum mixlr radio sessions and there will be an artist focus interview. Good promo guys, good for self esteem, good for business, alright!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(this should be blinking and i want hilarious-and-festive-office-birthday-clipart but i cant bloody find it)

So, our contestants:

miszt
darkysidro
crizis
suhilin
subprime
smoothassilk
GhostOfMuttley
prideinyourride
mr meh
therealskuff
Xiris
ApeCat
armed
Saftstein
mugatu
Menosance
Sultanare
Marklar

It is shaping up to be a fine, fiiiiiine compo, here at dnbforum.com!!
Very good amount of contenstants so far, in fact, go on the boys, go on the boys, go on the boys, beautiful turn out, but as i said before, in the end its really only about the number of actual entries, so its really put up or shut up. and, as always, we are of course still waiting for more contestants, and as of this afternoon, we now have 18 contestants and nine days to go! which is brilliant beyond comprehension, but you have to submit, dont forget to submit, but, or, possibly, and, most of all, may the best remix win!

We are about to get submissions from keiran t and Sultanare (and more!) any day now, and the tension is thick!

me and ivan will admin the compo, but not judge it, should we submit an entry, as there is no way of guarantee objectivity in that case. figured that one out all by myself.

And now, a message from our very own, and verily previously mentioned IV4, the originator:

Hello everybody,
It has been awhile since we last had a remix competition. I figure it is about time. So the song below is a little dub-step track I produced, and the stems are below. The rules of the remix will be decided by Logikz and I believe the winner, Logikz will make King of DnB Producers section. Possibly you could win the whole internetz!
If you do a remix please credit me, other than that the stems are your do do as you please. Also if enough people think there is a stem that should be uploaded say so and I will do it. Obviously I can not enter the competition but I will be happy to help out anybody

BELOW YOU FIND THE FULL TUNE AND STEMS, IN THE WORDS OF GEORGE CLINTON, GO FORTH AND FUNK!

THE FULL TUNE

Stems

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds interesting, pretty interesting indeed. So, what is the deadline for this one? We just upload the remix into our soundclouds and post the link here? or send them to Karl and you via PM?

We most likely will set up a new page with a poll to let people vote who is the winner. I'm not sure about the deadline yet.

go on then :D ...can ya group the tracks in soundcloud so they can be downloaded in one go (if you can still do that, not sure...)

Cool tune, wish I had an idea how to remix tracks...
This will help you learn. A good example of a change would be use the reece, and change it to a tempo of 170. Use the kick and snare and then take a new break and start a drum and bass track. Easy and completely different.
A little tip, If you do use the snare shorten the whole sample then shorten the tail, add a clap for a new tail.

No external samples darkysidro, and the deadline is final, the 1st of october, if you submit a month later, chances are the vote is over and the winner has already been celebrated with fireworks and caviar and windows 3.14 flying through stars screensaver. honestly man, i dont know what youre thinking sometimes. now stop being a noob and rustle up an entry for the compo ok bodo?? you got this. considering we have a whole month to go, i might even give it a go!

honestly what the fk was i on when i wrote the original post, what the hell. if i wasnt so heavily sedated id probably feel embarrassed.

Last edited:
Question time, IV4 and Karl: You said that no external samples would be allowed, just what was given to us, right? But IV said to Quotec that he could layer a clap sound with the shortened snare sound, to "create" a new tail for it. So, with this conflicting info, I'm a little lost: are we allowed to use our sample libraries or not?

EDIT --

I don't think it's a bad idea for both of you, karl and IV4, to enter the contest with us as long as we have a way to know that the jury will be completely neutral towards the contest.

[MENTION=91769]DarkYsidro[/MENTION] i answered your questions up top basically. found a duplicate post from myself there (honestly, what the hell :crazy:) and decided to use it. also, im in your post. writing ur wordz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question time, IV4 and Karl: You said that no external samples would be allowed, just what was given to us, right? But IV said to Quotec that he could layer a clap sound with the shortened snare sound, to "create" a new tail for it. So, with this conflicting info, I'm a little lost: are we allowed to use our sample libraries or not?

EDIT --

I don't think it's a bad idea for both of you, karl and IV4, to enter the contest with us as long as we have a way to know that the jury will be completely neutral towards the contest.
I can't enter the contest and Karl(logixz is the ultimate rule maker. All I can do is help. Hopefully I get a say in the winner but Karl gets to decide this he is charge.

We do needs some clearance on the 'using other samples' thing though, as DarkYsidro said

So , following the first post, only samples from the song itself. No adding basses, pads, atmospheres, kicks, snares, breaks,... And so on.
Need some confirmation on this...

I would like if we could add drums ourselves. Just drums. Because the hats are a bit hard to use I think (haven't tried yet, just guessing), and the kick isn't the best for dnb.

We do needs some clearance on the 'using other samples' thing though, as DarkYsidro said

So , following the first post, only samples from the song itself. No adding basses, pads, atmospheres, kicks, snares, breaks,... And so on.
Need some confirmation on this...

I would like if we could add drums ourselves. Just drums. Because the hats are a bit hard to use I think (haven't tried yet, just guessing), and the kick isn't the best for dnb.
Yesterday I started chopping the break, and I found just one hat there that was useful. Could layer two snares (one provided on it's own and the other from the break) and messed with the ADSR, but I don't think they sound that good together. And I agree with the kick, although I didn't try to change the ADSR settings to see if it can fit a dnb tune.

It's a hell of a challenge to work with just the samples provided, but I think that resampling stuff is a pretty fun thing to do.

shame we cant use synthesizers again...people don't push themselves when they use samples, and sooo many producers get stuck using construction kits

Back
Top Bottom