DnB Forum Remix Competition!

We do needs some clearance on the 'using other samples' thing though, as DarkYsidro said

So , following the first post, only samples from the song itself. No adding basses, pads, atmospheres, kicks, snares, breaks,... And so on.
Need some confirmation on this...

I would like if we could add drums ourselves. Just drums. Because the hats are a bit hard to use I think (haven't tried yet, just guessing), and the kick isn't the best for dnb.

Yesterday I started chopping the break, and I found just one hat there that was useful. Could layer two snares (one provided on it's own and the other from the break) and messed with the ADSR, but I don't think they sound that good together. And I agree with the kick, although I didn't try to change the ADSR settings to see if it can fit a dnb tune.

It's a hell of a challenge to work with just the samples provided, but I think that resampling stuff is a pretty fun thing to do.

I've been playing around with the samples today and I used transient shapers and volume envelopes to tighten up the kick and snare, also I made variations of the hi-hat by pitching, using adsr and effects. Also I made a kind of pad sound by stretching out one of the bass sounds and adding some fx...etc.

I think its pretty cool to work this way for a change rather than jumping straight for synths.

that the vocal from the emperor remix comp ?
No

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to have a go... I might not finish it, and I've never done a remix before, but I'll have a go anyway.
Awesome, it is a learning experience trying to do a remix. It can also be challenging in a fun too.

- - - Updated - - -

Yesterday I started chopping the break, and I found just one hat there that was useful. Could layer two snares (one provided on it's own and the other from the break) and messed with the ADSR, but I don't think they sound that good together. And I agree with the kick, although I didn't try to change the ADSR settings to see if it can fit a dnb tune.

It's a hell of a challenge to work with just the samples provided, but I think that resampling stuff is a pretty fun thing to do.
I think we should appeal to logizk about adding drums and new synthesis. Just remember I am not the one making the rules.

No

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome, it is a learning experience trying to do a remix. It can also be challenging in a fun too.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we should appeal to logizk about adding drums and new synthesis. Just remember I am not the one making the rules.

Where's he when we need his rulemaking power?

I actually like this snare.
Giving away my secrets here :D , but I think when it's played at 1.5 or 2x speed (which pitches it either a fifth or an octave up) it makes a nice mefjus-y type thing.

Last edited:
I would rather stick to samples, cause I usually synthesize everything and the change is forcing me to learn stuff.

I was really lazy with the kick... I just added a fade out to make it shorter and then did some serious high shelving and mid-scooping, just leaving the low end and transient.

As for hats, I actually just put a volume envelope (maybe pitch too, I can't remember) on one of the white noisey reverby tails of a couple of things.

Maybe some people will do loads of processing and find lots of scraps to layer with the drums, but I was happy to use them pretty much as is.

Is that the right kind of thing to do? It sounds ok to me so far...

Sticking to my new philosophy of creating tracks quickly so I don't lose original idea, I think I might be done!

Not expecting to win, but quietly quite proud of it atm. I expect I'll change my mind in a few weeks when I hear the other entries... :D

I will be quite happy to judge any of the tracks if you need it just hit me up! ;)
I seconded that motion ^^^^

Any chance you would coach too. For example, everybody has a chance to send you one question that you would be willing to walk them through. Think about it.

I seconded that motion ^^^^

Any chance you would coach too. For example, everybody has a chance to send you one question that you would be willing to walk them through. Think about it.

Yea mate, no problems! Ill send you my personal email as you will have a much better chance of reaching me as I check it daily!

Back
Top Bottom