Ghost of Muttley - Moss Roll (deep/neuro)

Longish intro imo. Sounds pretty much like a mess mix-wise. Bring up drums because they are sucked into this madness too hard. Also it seems to me that there´s too much mud in this mid bass. Sorry for so much negativity, I would like to listen to well mixed rework tho because it definitely has potential!

very interesting, love the sounds you got going on, and the random beat, nice work!

mixdown is wonky, kick and sub are muddied up together and the snare is very weak, overall the mix isn't working for me, I can see what you are heading for, but the sounds just don't have enough space

I'd suggest redoing the mixdown completely, drop all your channels down and just get your sub and kick working nicely together, a bit of EQ maybe sum harder side-chain to fit it in, then bring your mid-bass in, and that snare back in and get it nice and fat and the snare punching hard thru the mix, a bit more EQ there too I recon, then add all your other sounds in, one at a time, make sure each one has its own space before you move into the next one, use Panning to give sounds more space, aswell as EQ

pay careful attention to the low-mid range, that's where its muddying up, and the impact of the sounds is getting lost

apart from the mix tho, that's a really interesting track...impressed :) nice work!

(regarding the drums in the mix, dont turn them up, its the other elements that need to come down...that's the key to a good mix, knowing what to turn down, I know it seems counter intuitive, but you cant add space to a mix by filling it up with louder sounds)

Last edited:
Really really appreciate it lads!

I've gone off 33 bar intro's lately n just past the 1 min mark seems like the next logical drop for mixing purposes but you're right is long these days

I notched out a shitload between 200-500 hz and the kick is rolled off well above the sub but you're right, it sounds muddy as fuck listening back to it

I don't know what the fuck has happened lately...

I moved my setup a month or two ago and it feels like my mixdowns have taken ten steps backwards

this is frustrating the shit out of me, the last few tunes before i moved I was really happy with and now i listen back to my mixdowns a few days later and can't help but think what in the sweet saint fuck happened here..

got a passive sub running off a hi fi amp with a crossover done in the daw before it's sent out, think it's done more damage than good, my monitors roll off way to high to go without though

Last edited:
One thing I do sometimes to make a kick pop thru the mix without making it any louder is a separate channel kick. It is easy, find the high frequency of the kick's transient, around 1k, high pass all the lows out and boost the kick's transient. It will make the kick pop thru without to much space being soak up.

i did something similar but ended up widening it n not being happy with it, went with a hat on the kick instead originally, now i'm back to that lol

new version added to the o.p, mixed on headphones until i get access to a mates studio

possibly in a can't see the forest through the trees type situation at present..

thoughts?

Now it´s a completely different story! Big ups! Not too in-your-face mixdown which I personally strive for but the elements seem to be more balanced than they were before. This main bassline is a bit too squashed imo.

Back
Top Bottom