(Liquid?)Point & Figure feat. Sanna Hartfield - One Way(FREE DL)

Quotec

Sup?

This is my latest tune which is a remix of my older one. I´ve been working on this tune for 3 months on and off trying to make it as perfect as I could. I would say quality-wise it´s pretty good(knowing my strengths and weaknesses) but idea-wise it´s horrible. I had better ideas for this track but I couldn´t test them as I had so many lags I couldn´t playback it in my DAW without stuttering. Was a grievous challenge remixing it, but finally it´s done.

So how does it sound to you?

The vocals sound pretty good, but I feel that the drums get pushed down in the mix during the drop. Also, the lead synth tends to get quite repetitive, maybe some variation of that lead would help. Other than that though, nice work!

It sounds pretty good to me. You could bounce the stems out as audio and remix in another session.

Wow thanks so much guys! I will be honest with you that I really hate this track personally(I wanted to make better use of vocals in this one and bring in some more variation to the lead but alas my dusty computer can´t handle so much shit playing at once and thus I had serious lag issues) but I am amazed that it has found so much positive feedback. Keeps me going, cheers!

nice track, mixdown is almost there, a bit thin in the mid-range, its a difficult balance with a big vocal, I recon you may have some stray resonance lower down in some of your bigger sounds, which means you are overcompensating a bit with others (for eg pushing the vocal a bit to hard)...its really not far off tho

check all your sounds from 150hz upto ~500hz, I recon theres a few spikes there that could do with taming, either with EQ (a few surgical notches perhaps) or some careful compression on the wider ones, and it'll give you the space you need to really get this kicking hard (I can hear the spikes low down, but i'm sure you can find them, do an EQ sweep, or use your spectral analyser if you cant spot them straight away)

Cheers! It´s difficult to recognize the problem now. I did a very novice mastering myself, just pushed it so it would sound loud and not distorted with a good bit of punchiness and flow. You could say I have absolutely no idea how to master appropriately. Yeah I agree with you - it needs more surgical EQing and I struggle pretty hard with it, haven´t developed a good ear for that and I lack technical prowess. These spikes are most probably caused by this wobbly bass that takes up all the spectrum, I frequency split it and I mixed in 3 parts together, but to clean the 100-400Hz region I lowered the volume of wobbly bass low-end. You could say the wobbly bass is off phase too so there´s a lot of smaller technical issues that may have contributed to spikes you heard.

nice man
not my personal taste but it's got really nice vibes

it does feel a bit too squashed to my ears, the breakdown feels louder than the main section, the drums lose punch on the drop and it comes back around 4 mins when a few other elements drop out, though i'm totally guilty of doing exactly the same thing lol
plus i'm on headphones and it sounds good to others so i dunno, could be personal preference thing

Thanks a ton!

Tbh I mix exclusively on my headphones too but do reference a bit on other systems. Some people have better ear for details, I probably don´t so it´s hard to notice those little movements and dynamics in the track. But I definitely feel that the main part is not as loud and punchy as it could be, there´s a ton of elements in it and I am not good at surgical EQ(yet).

This is awesome man, loving the choice of vocal samples and the melodies are perfect!

One thing I would suggest to give the drop a bit more impact is to maybe put a high-pass on the bass and in the build-up automate it so that so that it's somewhere between a quarter and half at the start of the build-up and filter downwards so that you're introducing all the lower frequencies in that synth as the buildup goes on, leading to the drop with the highpass at zero. Don't get me wrong, the buildup and drop are pretty damn good as is now, just a wee trick worth trying.

Other than that, the main arpeggio lead in the drop is a bit in-your-face and repetitive. Maybe try making it more a background melody and introduce a different lead at the start of the drop, or even try putting a different, slower melody on that synth as the sound itself has potential, and try cutting some mids from it.

Best of luck with this tune man, it sounds very promising :)

Re: (Liquid?)Point & Figure feat. Sanna Hartfield - One Way(FREE DL)

Thanks a ton!

Tbh I mix exclusively on my headphones too but do reference a bit on other systems. Some people have better ear for details, I probably don´t so it´s hard to notice those little movements and dynamics in the track. But I definitely feel that the main part is not as loud and punchy as it could be, there´s a ton of elements in it and I am not good at surgical EQ(yet).

get yourself some monitors, even a pair of cheap KRK's will help you to judge the mix better than most headphones, its very difficult to judge dynamics, mix balance and stereo balance on headphones unless you have already tuned your ears up, and already know which areas sound different in your headphones compared to a flat mix coming out of monitors

if you are concerned about noise levels, which is why you use headphones, well, mixdown's shouldn't be done at high volume anyway, if you can get a mix sounding great at low volume, it'll sound awesome at high volume :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks a ton!

get yourself some monitors, even a pair of cheap KRK's will help you to judge the mix better than most headphones, its very difficult to judge dynamics, mix balance and stereo balance on headphones unless you have already tuned your ears up, and already know which areas sound different in your headphones compared to a flat mix coming out of monitors

if you are concerned about noise levels, which is why you use headphones, well, mixdown's shouldn't be done at high volume anyway, if you can get a mix sounding great at low volume, it'll sound awesome at high volume :)

Back
Top Bottom