DnB Greene Light - Let it Rain [Free Download] (Soundcloud Link)

First thing. did you take that kick out of a loop? Not to keen on the highs of it playing everytime, add a subtle hat or percussive hit to give it some high end. That drum pattern and the synth reminded me of something you see in a 80's film. Listening on headphones, but at low volumes couldnt tell, when high volume that snare doesnt cut through at all, you need to do some eq'ing of the synths.

Thank you for the tip on the high end of the kick & No it wasn't taken from a loop, just a sample. What do you mean the snare doesn't cut through? Thank you for the feedback!

I think he simply means the snare isnt loud enough... Right this is hard to evaluate as its got a lot of flaws but not fixable... First of your synth choice is a bit simple at best but i like the melodic elements, progression and layers of sound. If you strip this down and use some moody pads instead of the lead i think that would help the song a lot. Also fire some distortion on there im always told to stop doing this but it can change the whole sound of a synth i recommend ohmicide VST for distortion. I use this VST so much i think of it as an EQ another thing i get slated for (so mabye not great advice) but hey it makes the sound i want moody and dark not happy and sonic the hedgehog if you know what im saying. Regardless i do a proper EQ and compress after ive bounced the sound down to audio and dropped into protools, But easily the best advice is better choice of synth.

when i think about it this sounds like it was produced in reason? is that the malstrom for the lead synth? Use THOR its best used to love that synth.

Hey, thanks for the words of advice, my friend! IT was produced using Live 9, and the synth is all from Live's built in bundle. I have not spent due time with any one particular VST to be honest, a little bit of MASSIVE for my next project.

When you says trip it down, what would you leave remaining? Just drums and percussion? Well, there's not much percussion atm. What's the benefit of ohmicide?

Not so much strip down just get nicer sounding synths i use pads and generally dnt have much lead noises in my procutions... way i see it a distorted bass over the bass line is a lead so no high end synths here but thats my way so not for all.

I just like the VST so much you can do distortion wise BUT (notice thats a big but)... But to be honest Ohmicide use is not really for everyone and does create problems when mastering (in particular volume issues) if you are going to use it too make your sounds a bit darker and dirtier use it with just a little wet and layer up and never use on low end always mid to high IMO

Back
Top Bottom