Reason 8 Announced

I really don't like this flat design. Not that it isn't fancy, but a I'm used to the 'ugly' Reason. Besides, the drag & drop is a great idea, but I hope I can switch off the file browser when I'm on my 15" laptop...

I hope they'll add curved automation...

No VSTs and patching virtual cables to route stuff! What a joke of a DAW!

someone always has to go there in any reason thread :(
thanks for your input m8

On topic - yeah i dont think i will be paying for a new workflow update.
havent done any producing for a year but started again recently - so trying to remember all the stuff i forgot - dont need a new workflow to mess my head up even more.

No VSTs and patching virtual cables to route stuff! What a joke of a DAW!
It makes sidechaining really easy. Besides, its a good (obviously relative) , different concept, compared to all the other DAW's which are practically the same.

Haha, I wanted to be the one to say "still no VST's!". I used to use reason all the time, but grew out of it eventually.

The thing is, it will never never never have VST's (like many of us already know, even though it gets brought up every release).

Reason not having VST support is one of the reasons its so damn solid and never crashes. They can control the entire environment and not have to write code it fit third party stuff being jammed in there product.

Reason was fun when I used it. It could run on the crappyest of computers and never crash or bug out. It just kept on going.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

What's wrong with Rack Extensions?

RE>VST imo
There are some:
- there is not enough choice... Just go to RE shop and count the good REs and then do the same with VSTs :)
- You need to pay again for the same plugins you already own which is not usually the case with vst/au/aax/anything else versions of the same plugins
- there are dozens of free or superlow cost high-quality plugins there(Klanghelm, Sonimus, SKnote etc.) not available as RE
- the SDK is still very limited especially GUI-wise and that is one of the reasons of why developers just can't port their current plugins. (Urs Heckman said it numerously on kvr but with the lates update of SDK may be they will port Satin).

Also I believe Propellerheads do not guarantee stability with 3rd party REs... so this argument is weak.

There are some:
- there is not enough choice... Just go to RE shop and count the good REs and then do the same with VSTs :)
- You need to pay again for the same plugins you already own which is not usually the case with vst/au/aax/anything else versions of the same plugins
- there are dozens of free or superlow cost high-quality plugins there(Klanghelm, Sonimus, SKnote etc.) not available as RE
- the SDK is still very limited especially GUI-wise and that is one of the reasons of why developers just can't port their current plugins. (Urs Heckman said it numerously on kvr but with the lates update of SDK may be they will port Satin).

Also I believe Propellerheads do not guarantee stability with 3rd party REs... so this argument is weak.

I guess the whole 'having to purchase again' thing doesn't affect me as Reason has been my only DAW since ver4.

I do agree with your comment regarding choice though, I much admit there's only been a few purchases on my account.

I stay positive though :)

The rack entention thing was a cool addition, when I saw that I was excited for reason users and wished it had that option back when I was stall using it. But it wasn't enough to make me run out and get it or switch from ableton.

It's been a wile since I've used reason... Version 3 or so I think, maybe it was 4, can't quite remember. Can you drop straight audio into a track yet even?

The rack entention thing was a cool addition, when I saw that I was excited for reason users and wished it had that option back when I was stall using it. But it wasn't enough to make me run out and get it or switch from ableton.

It's been a wile since I've used reason... Version 3 or so I think, maybe it was 4, can't quite remember. Can you drop straight audio into a track yet even?

Haha yes, audio can be used in Reason now ;) and you can do some really great stuff with it also.

It's so easy to time stretch samples to match your bpm etc :)

I work exclusively in reason and I love and hate it. I think I will by Logic next.

I used to really wanna get into Logic. I had a bunch or friends that ended up switching to it. The built in devices/plugs are really nice, but I never had enough money for a new MAC to be able to switch over. All the money I had ended up going to software, speakers, keyboards, etc.

Now about half of the people I know that switched to Logic have come back to ableton due to all the errors and crashing logic has. Plus apparently it wouldn't make full or intelligent use of all the CPU cores. I never owned it, so I never experienced the frustration of crashes and core issues.... But I have played around with it on other people computers and it seemed quite nice.

Did crash a bit though.... Although I've seen a lot of DAW's do that. Except Reason though, lol. I use ableton now after leaving reason around v4 (I think that was the version).

I used to really wanna get into Logic. I had a bunch or friends that ended up switching to it. The built in devices/plugs are really nice, but I never had enough money for a new MAC to be able to switch over. All the money I had ended up going to software, speakers, keyboards, etc.

Now about half of the people I know that switched to Logic have come back to ableton due to all the errors and crashing logic has. Plus apparently it wouldn't make full or intelligent use of all the CPU cores. I never owned it, so I never experienced the frustration of crashes and core issues.... But I have played around with it on other people computers and it seemed quite nice.

Did crash a bit though.... Although I've seen a lot of DAW's do that. Except Reason though, lol. I use ableton now after leaving reason around v4 (I think that was the version).

Logic is pretty much as stable as other DAWs. Most of the crashes are caused by VSTs(I think only Bitwig deal with it properly but I don't know for sure) and generally it shouldn't be a reason to abandon Logic or any other DAW.
Ableton on the other side have enough of its own problems(PDC, anyone?).

I am on Cubase 7.5.2 and it crashes may be one time a week, maybe two times. So what? I will not switch back to Ableton because of that.

My point is - try everything yourself and see if DAW fits you and do not always listen to other people saying that "Logikz crashz like hellz go buy abletonz!!". These are commercial products we are talking about and they were tested enough to prevent frequent crashes. And if there was a major crash problem with Logic - you would see tons of threads about it everyday.
Sadly there is no demo of Logic but you can request a moneyback on Mac App Store without any problems.

Most of the crashes are caused by VSTs(I think only Bitwig deal with it properly but I don't know for sure).

I know Reaper has the ability to not crash when encountering vst issues. Runs them in some kinda self contained shell (can't remember what it's called) so if the vst crashes, the DAW won't.

Would be cool if more DAW's had that. I have to look up the Bitwig thing your talking about.... Been hearing a lot about that program. Seems cool, just can't believe a brand new DAW is $400 for the first release. I figured they sell it for around $200 to rope everyone in and get a good buzz going on it, then jack up the price for the later versions.

Back
Top Bottom