Kinesthetics [Intelligent/liquid] work in progress

I'd change the hat pattern right from the start and make all the hats a whole lot quieter.

The pitch bendy things are cool for a little hook, but they show up way too often for effect.

I liked the drums a whole lot better when they were just the breaks, the snare that comes in around 2:30 sounds really weak.

Put in some edits and incidentals, the whole tune sounds almost exactly the same through the whole thing, you can cut those rhodes out a whole lot earlier and just leave the drums, bass and the vocals.

Thanks for listening through and for the feedback. Its really helpful.

I think you're right that the bits with just the brakes sound better. I'm not sure whether this is because the tune simply doesn't need a switch up to a 'proper' kick snare section or whether its just that my snare is a bit crap. I'm new to production so have a lot still to learn.

Listening back through my track again you're right about the rhodes too, there's not a single point where the pads drop out. It makes it very same-y.

Think I'm gonna take this one back to the drawing board and improve it.

Rinse and repeat, as long as you've picked something up along the way it's all good!

I'd look into different snares and probably try layering a few of them together, same with the kick. Play around with the pitch to see if you can make them fit better with the rest of the drums and tune. Duplicate the break and cut out the kick and snare's dominant frequencies from the cloned version. Put a graphic EQ or analyzer plug in on your master channel and you can visually monitor samples and stuff to see if they hit the right frequencies etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom