Embarrassing/Bizarre moments when playing out

Sicx

VIP Junglist
There was a thread like this a while back but I cant find it, and hearing about other peoples mistakes always makes me feel a little better. So thought it'd be interesting to hear people's embarrassing or strange moments they've had when playing out.
I'll go first...

One of the strangest i've had was when I played a little outside festival around MK about 2 years ago, was using traktor and decks at the time and started playing fairly new tracks (spectrasoul, enei, perez etc.) which, I thought, went down pretty well until some guy comes up to me with a crate full of old jungle vinyl and says what im playing is shit and I should mix more jungle. Doesn't seem too odd until you think about who the fuck brings a crate full of vinyl to a festival if they're not a DJ?

Few others include being booked to play a jungle set and realising I actually have about 5 jungle tunes, playing a set to an empty room (expect my mate taking advantage of the discounted alcohol privileges), getting so excited with cueing up a mix in the headphones that I forgot to actually fade the tune in, unplugging the wrong cable, plugging in countless shit wrong when setting up traktor & spilling drinks on someones mixer & cdj

So yeah let us all bask in the glory of other peoples fuck ups

Had an open channel for some reason once when putting the needle on the vinyl. And when doing some back to back internet radio show, forgetting that the person before had left 'bass' or 'high' EQ right down.

Been playing at a couple of house parties before, one where I was playing classics like The One and 26 Bass etc and one gathering where I was playing an hour of jump up, and girls have come up to me at both and said "can you play something I know?" and "have you got any Chase & Status?"

I was drunk and played the same track twice lol, in my defence I was playing 9 or so hrs straight at a house party of about 70 people and I was very very drunk!

Too many to mention. Taking the needle off, leaving the filter on/ EQ at -12dB, being too pissed/off my swede to comprehend even cueing, let alone mixing.

One extremely bizarre moment happened about 2 months ago though.

I was playing a set a rather posh club in St. Annes just down the coast from Blackpool. Not your usual place to hear DnB. This place had the bee's knees of equipment, DJM-2000 Nexus, CDJ-2000 Nexus, like new 1210's. A dream of a DJ booth.
Everything was going sweet and the punters were having a good skank. This girl was watching me at the side of the booth and waved me over. She asked "Do you do requests?" to which I replied "Yes, but this is Drum and Bass event so I haven't got anything else.". I said "Hold on, I'll finish this mix and she if I've got anything that you know." I carried on a she disappeared.
I finished my mix and she reappeared at the side of the booth so I started walking over to her; she opened the door to the booth started walking up to me and I saw a glass of water in her hand. She tried to lift the glass and pour the water over my head but I bitch slapped it out of her hand before she had the chance. I still got my shirt piss wet through though. I went fucking ballistic and starting chasing her and her shit house boyfriend out of the club. The bouncers caught them on the way out and I explained what happened so they were ejected from the premises anyway.
WHAT A BITCH!

My first gig had the worst crowd, I started off playing some dubstep then dnb, whilst I was playing Skeng someone asked me to play some Fluv Pavilion , not good. The gig after that, I left my bag next to some sort of vent and my Serato CDs became misty and wouldn't read. I posted about it here somewhere, horrible experience when the guy before mes song stopped and I was still sweating, fiddling around trying to get it to work. Hectic!

- - - Updated - - -

here's the post

I had one of the shittest, most humiliating, nooby experiences of my life a few hours ago.. fuck im still mad

on warm up duties, i was using Serato, the guy before me, USB, and I had severe technical difficulties, couldnt get any sound apart from some faint farting sound, it was taking ages, I pulled up the other guys tune because I was running out of time, played it again and still no sound, then it all cut out and I was stood there, sweating like a fat headed retard in silence for what felt like an hour, fumbling around. Eventually one of the 'headliners' came and started an hour early to keep it going.
n
o
o
o
o
b

My control CD felt funny when it came out of the CDJ, like, misty or something, no idea, anyway, shit experience

awful, now I'm USB4lyf unless it's at a party

about 10 or 11 years ago i played a show with my friend and this was about when cdj's started showing up in dj booths. We had just got a bunch of Upbeat dubs and twice he left me with those dubs on the cdjs and both times i played i picked up the needle on the records after i had mixed out....the first time was bad but the second was horrible ha ha. Prolly didnt help that i had been on a 2 day binge at that point ha ha.

Had a chick that kept asking me to play country records a a show once too....i dont even know what she was doin there.

One cool thing that happened tho....was playing a show and was in the mix and the sound completely cut out while i was mixing 2 traks everbody scrambled to get the sound back on and when it kicked back on the 2 traks hit on the double drop perfectly in sync.....felt like a beast ha ha.....

One time the DJ before me inexplicably shut off the mixer in mid-tune when he was done and I was stepping up, leaving me standing in front of a pretty good sized crowd in awkward silence. To make matters worse the sound guy and a few others thought that I did it for some reason, so that was awesome.

Then there was the guy who we cleverly named "Yoga Boner" who came to a bunch of our shows years ago. He was a really tall, older guy (in his 40's at least) who would always show up wearing these tight, bright blue pants. He'd stand in front of the decks and would just kind of slowly sway back and forth and do odd yoga-like poses while facing the crowd, and more often than not he had a boner. Yup.

I can't take the awkward credit for this one, but a friend of mine who I often go b2b with was playing out to a pretty busy DnB night.....was playing off of a USB, mixes in last tune, steps away from the CDJ's....next DJ (who I must add was playing out on an S4 so why he felt the need to) just pulls out the USB. (y)

Had most of the minor ones mentioned above happen to me at some point over the last twelve years. Wrong faders, filters, eqs left on or off for way too long, picking up the wrong record etc.

Worst experience though was a gig in Christchurch a few years ago. Booth was quite small and I was rocking one of those big doublewide UDG CD wallets. Had to lay it flat on the floor behind me to find tunes. I turned around to grab a CD and there was the MC in full swing just happilly standing in the middle of my CD wallet and jamming away none the wiser. Pretty much every cd after that skipped.

nothing too cringeworthy but nothing more awkward than dropping a tune and rocking out behind the decks and realizing none of the crowd is feeling the tune even though you thought they would :shrug:

I've seen people do rewinds at inappropriate times, with the wrong tune, and send half the floor to go and get a drink

Played at an art school, after this indie band who had really up tight dancers in full animal costumes, crowd going bananas, everyone having a good time. Think I'm gonna ease people into things start off with Music is Better, has a nice soulful vibe to it and all, three tunes later I'm alone in the room with my brother and two of his mates.

I got paid though, and I filled my backpack to the bursting point with beer and spray paint cans from the backstage before swaggering out of there like I hadn't just cleared the whole dance in five minutes.

Played at a brothers mates 18th party. Started off with Disclosure - White Noise, overheard some girls say "how can you even dance to this"

Its fucking house music it was made for dancing to what the fuck are you on, its not like I started off with Current Value ffs

Played at a brothers mates 18th party. Started off with Disclosure - White Noise, overheard some girls say "how can you even dance to this"

Its fucking house music it was made for dancing to what the fuck are you on, its not like I started off with Current Value ffs

musta been some quiet party to hear them.. bass at 3oclock m9!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not even going into my embarrassing experiences, there's too many.

bizarre moments are rare really, struggling to think of any tbf.

Back
Top Bottom