Embarrassing/Bizarre moments when playing out

I've seen people do rewinds at inappropriate times, with the wrong tune, and send half the floor to go and get a drink

I've seen an Enei b2b Mefjus set with this problem, repeatedly, like every 3rd track or so untill the crowd really started to become angry and they stopped doing rewinds all together.

Playing at Carbon in Oxford a few weeks ago. For those that don't know it this club has glass walls on the ground floor. I'm half way through my set when much to my surprise I get dragged outside by a 4 old bill. Outside are another 6, a special and one with a dog, slight overkill but for what I was still none the wiser..........According to them they'd saw me hunched over snorting a substance through a straw. I just laughed.....I call it leaning over my laptop to select a tune on Serato, fuck knows where they got the straw bit from. Anyway 15 mins later and of course they've found fuck all, my set is ruined and I'm stuck outside with all my gear inside. Had to get one of the coppers to get the bouncer to let me back in just to get my stuff. 12 coppers at less than 6 feet away and they still can't see properly, what a waste of time and money.

Agree that's crazy !

I remember going to a rave and some cunt nicked the dj's cd bag. Then when he tried to use the turntables they were in such a state his mixes kept skipping the whole set. Felt sorry for him.

went to my mates birthday party a couple months back... house full of DnB heads, Adam A7X's and CDJ1000's in them lounge.

I'd never used pioneer CDJ's before at this point, but i didn't think cueing up a tune and jogging it until it's matched would be any different to on my numarks. oh boy... what a flop. Most of the guys there i'd never met before.. and me being the belligerent fuck that i am when i get pissed was giving it the big'n like i'm some kind of god behind the decks.... so i swagger up, pick my CD's, load them in, and then have to be told by matey how to skip through the disc. End up playing the same tune twice, made a complete hash of my matching and then walked off and blamed it on the beer.

My first gig had the worst crowd, I started off playing some dubstep then dnb, whilst I was playing Skeng someone asked me to play some Fluv Pavilion , not good. The gig after that, I left my bag next to some sort of vent and my Serato CDs became misty and wouldn't read. I posted about it here somewhere, horrible experience when the guy before mes song stopped and I was still sweating, fiddling around trying to get it to work. Hectic!

Sorry for a dumb question, but did you try wiping them with your t-shirt or something?

- - - Updated - - -

all of mine are pretty standard faults, especially leaving the filters on, very awkward, when you start rocking out and there's no bass. or stopping the wrong deck and shouting 'fuck' into the resulting silence.

the worst one's got to be one of my first times playing from 3 decks, i was quite confused with the mixer and all. i think i posted it in here

I sloppily mix tune 2 into tune 1
pull down the wrong fader, tune 1 is playing with all bass and his eqd out
pull the tune 2 back up, by that time the tracks went out of time and it was awful, so i slammed down the outgoing tune.
then i stopped the wrong deck and the sound cut off into an awkward silence.
then when i wanted to start the tune over, i skipped one tune back on the cd and played a wrong one.

i felt like a speng, rest of the set went alright though

ha ha I did the mixer thing just a month ago...... I have a pioneer 700 mixer and another local dj used his set up. Pioneer 2000 nexus with the nexus mixer and everything. I mixed the first trak and then asked him how I keep both traks from coming through the headphones at the same time. he calmly looked at me and then hit the button to cut the channel off ha ha. I just told him nevermind im a fuckin idiot ha ha.

Playing at a small venue in Swansea a few years back. Rock up, chilling behind the decks with the other DJs and it's my turn to play. Step up to the decks and suddenly realise they're a lot higher than I thought they were from a couple feet away. I had to ask the venue owner for a booster box to stand on so I could mix.

I'm so fucking short.

Playing at a small venue in Swansea a few years back. Rock up, chilling behind the decks with the other DJs and it's my turn to play. Step up to the decks and suddenly realise they're a lot higher than I thought they were from a couple feet away. I had to ask the venue owner for a booster box to stand on so I could mix.

I'm so fucking short.

that feel.

I'm so fucking short.
Calibre, is that you?

i pulled up Anti War Dub 16 times. (bootleg, sorry i cant afford original :teeth:)
i let some girl do a line of my copy of marka.
playing out to nobody x2

thats about it, nothing major.

- - - Updated - - -

nothing too cringeworthy but nothing more awkward than dropping a tune and rocking out behind the decks and realizing none of the crowd is feeling the tune even though you thought they would :shrug:

oh shit this.... lol

Last edited:
I think my bizarre one was a girl coming up to me saying "I love your mixing I love your mixing"

I had only just got on and done the first mix :D

Mine is long, surreal, and long.

I was booked to play out in Germany using Traktor and 3 turntables. I had a gig the night before and had a bit of session so I definitely felt a bit worse for wear.
Arrived at the club and realised that I had absolutely no adapters whatsoever, and needed 2 for my macbook and Traktor. This was about 3 hours before my set, but the promoter somehow managed to find a euro charger and an adaptor for Traktor, so I start trying to set up. Spent about 20 minutes trying to get it to work, but to no avail (still to this day I don't know why it wouldn't work :/) but the promoter turns to me and says "You have 5 minutes before we have to execute plan B"

Obviously, 5 minutes pass, still no luck. He pulls me to one side and says "You must go to my house, I have vinyl there, pick as much as you can and bring it back here to play"
Now, I am hungover as fuck and tired as shit and the last thing I want to be doing is going through vinyl. But I have one hour until i'm supposed to be on and I have to do something. So I go back to his house and go through his vinyl. Obviously, some of it is a bit "Leftfield" shall we say, but there are some I recognise, old ram bits, playaz, metalheadz etc. So I grab a box and come back.
I make it there with about 5 minutes to spare, drag this box of vinyl with me and realise, there are no monitors. Now i'm not sure how many people have tried to do a 3 deck vinyl set with no monitors, but I did not have a fun time. About 5 minutes in (To what was supposed to be my 3 hour set) I ask him for a bottle of vodka. Pretty much nail the lot in a few minutes and I don't remember the rest of the night. Which is probably best, because I can't imagine it went anything other than horrifically.

It's quite funny to thing about it now, but fuck me I was in a bad mood at the time.

TL ; DR

House party, a proper mangled friend of a friend asks if I have Fresh's All That Jazz. Only have the instrumental, so I play it. He proceeds to sing the lyrics in my face. 5 minutes later he comes back and asks for it again. he keeps asking. In the end I just let him on the decks. He plays All That Jazz for the next twenty minutes. He is dragged from the decks and dumped in the kitchen. Hour later he is back at the decks doing it again.

Mine is long, surreal, and long.

I was booked to play out in Germany using Traktor and 3 turntables. I had a gig the night before and had a bit of session so I definitely felt a bit worse for wear.
Arrived at the club and realised that I had absolutely no adapters whatsoever, and needed 2 for my macbook and Traktor. This was about 3 hours before my set, but the promoter somehow managed to find a euro charger and an adaptor for Traktor, so I start trying to set up. Spent about 20 minutes trying to get it to work, but to no avail (still to this day I don't know why it wouldn't work :/) but the promoter turns to me and says "You have 5 minutes before we have to execute plan B"

Obviously, 5 minutes pass, still no luck. He pulls me to one side and says "You must go to my house, I have vinyl there, pick as much as you can and bring it back here to play"
Now, I am hungover as fuck and tired as shit and the last thing I want to be doing is going through vinyl. But I have one hour until i'm supposed to be on and I have to do something. So I go back to his house and go through his vinyl. Obviously, some of it is a bit "Leftfield" shall we say, but there are some I recognise, old ram bits, playaz, metalheadz etc. So I grab a box and come back.
I make it there with about 5 minutes to spare, drag this box of vinyl with me and realise, there are no monitors. Now i'm not sure how many people have tried to do a 3 deck vinyl set with no monitors, but I did not have a fun time. About 5 minutes in (To what was supposed to be my 3 hour set) I ask him for a bottle of vodka. Pretty much nail the lot in a few minutes and I don't remember the rest of the night. Which is probably best, because I can't imagine it went anything other than horrifically.

It's quite funny to thing about it now, but fuck me I was in a bad mood at the time.

TL ; DR

hahaha , that was the night in Mannheim i bet

Back
Top Bottom