Just started making dnb any tips?

First off, what are you using to making your music with?

You need to mix the elements of your track better. The drums are too quiet and the bass/synth is far too loud. I bet your meter is redlining/clipping out. If you bring the bassline volume down and your drums will become louder.

You need to EQ your drums correctly and work on techniques to get the drums sounding loud. EQ your kick drum by rolling off the frequency at around 80 - 120 Hz so that it leaves room in the mix for the sub bass to sit. You could possibly layer about 3 snares on top of each other. 1 snare with low frequency thump at around 200Hz, 1 snare with mid snap at around 600Hz - 1.2Khz and 1 snare with some mid to high frequency fizz at 2-4Khz. You will need to EQ each snare so that they sit well together then add some compression so that they gel together. Hi Hats should be given an EQ boost in the high frequencies to bring the brightness out in the mix and a high pass filter added so that no low frequency nastiness can mess with your bass frequencies.
EQing your drums is super important to allow room in the mix for the other elements of your track to sit and sound clear with no muddiness.

One thing also, your bass/synth isn't in time with the time signature of your track, 4/4 (4 beats per bar/4 bars per phrase). Try playing around with the arrangement of your bassline so that it fits your time signature.

Keep trying and keep posting in here. There are plenty of people, just like me, that are also learning how to produce and willing to help those that are just starting out.

I'm using fl 10 for the basslines I use harmor and fruity love filter, with some sausage fattener boost. Thanks for the tips, do you have any vst's or filters u can advise me?

I'll start over and post another song to compare it.

I don't I'm afraid. I use Reason so I don't use VSTs. I hear Camel Phat is good for beefing up any sound. Massive is one of the best bass VSTs going.

I don't I'm afraid. I use Reason so I don't use VSTs. I hear Camel Phat is good for beefing up any sound. Massive is one of the best bass VSTs going.

Massive is a hell of a synth for anything really, not only basses. Harmor is good as well, although I only use it because of it's resample abilites. Both of them are paid, though. Sytrus can be a good synth as well (for free) but I never got the hang of it.

I'm typing this out for a 2nd time so it may seem a bit snappy. Not my intention.

The idea is quite good. The first thing you need to focus on in this case is making sure the tune is balanced. Turn it down low and see if you can hear everything that you want to. Just focus on volume faders and EQ for now. Cut below 30hz for drums and bass. Tightens everything up. It's mentioned a lot on this forum, with good reason. If you can get the tune sounding good with basic balancing, you will probably smash it when it comes to other effects.

The more you write the better you will get. Focus on being in time and key and you will rock.

Sytrus isn't free though.

I just use native [not NI, mind you] and free plug ins for everything, i use 3xOsc for basses and things, i use the FL Fast Distortion for most low end stuff and Fruity blood Overdrive for anything in the higher frequencies, I also use Camel Crusher (freebie) quite a bit. I haven't quite figured Fruity Love Philter out yet, I basically only use the basic gate 1 preset..

Check the How To Bassline and Tips and Tricks for Most Used DAWs threads, they answer a lot of frequently asked questions and have some nice basic tips that will help you a long way.

Cut everything below it's intended frequency range: there are unecessary frequencies that take headroom you'll use for other instruments. Example: your snare is hitting at 192hz. Cut anything below this 192hz mark.

Yeah, meant to say that too. Absolutely right.

Back
Top Bottom