Is it best to wait for an 'established' label...?

Niwun

Anyone have any advice on dealing with labels? I've been contacted out of the blue by a UK based label and offered to have my music published by them, but they're virtually unknown. My experience with these kind of imprint labels has been pretty bad so far (zero royalties, no effort put into marketing their artists) and i've also heard it's usually better to wait to sign with a reputable label, and ive even heard people say that having music out with unknown labels can be a hindrance to progressing your music career... Thoughts? I have a near finished track and it's tempting to send it to the label in question, but i'm hesitant for the reasons I mentioned.

Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me.

You could always start your own, if you're that way inclined. That's what I'm doing. Now just to finish some decent tunes....

I got scammed once when I first started
The guy took my track and posted it on a digital download site without offering me a contract
The label was virtually unheard of though.... You just might want to be careful

I've made some money through smaller labels but nothing that I would say is considerable. The main thing a label can do for you is promotion and exposing you to a wider audience that you can convert to your fan base. If they can't do that and don't want to invest any or very little money in the release (with regards to mastering, artwork, promo etc) then I would hold out a bit longer for something better.

I've released with one smaller label and it was worth it because, although I didn't make any money (not sure why but the label fell off the grid shortly after my release), I got into the Beatport top 100. That really bolstered my resolve and gave me confidence. If you're confident that your work is up to par with your standards then go for it! There's no rush though.

Back
Top Bottom