Side chainning subs rule of thumb (Logic)

Dubsta

VIP Junglist
As a rule of thumb (I know this will vary on different projects) what settings are a good starting block to use when sidechainning subs to a kick. Im using Logic, just cant get the subs to gel with this track im working on. Any other tips on sidechaining subs are welcome also.

u want the sub to "breathe" in sync with the track, trail and error on the settings man cos every track is unique… i usually use a high ratio like 6 0r 7 to 1 and like -20+ on the threshold

yeah man… i just use logics built in compressor i also make a dummy track (no output) with my kicks so u can change the pattern etc without affecting the loop

- - - Updated - - -

also andy may be signing one of my tracks to your label… on a side note haha

There's no rule, but I've found best practice is using the "hidden" options for sidechaining in Logic's compressor. Click the disclosure triangle and set the sidechain to affect a certain frequency–you'll most likely want to set it to match the fundamental frequency of the kick your using as a sidechain source. This provides a bit more a cleaner sound, if you're looking for more of the traditional sidechain "pump" effect, simply dial in the kick sidechain and adjust threshold and release to taste.

wow didn't even no about all that hidden frequency shit good shout :D

Glad to help. :2thumbs:

There's also the option in that hidden menu to add distortion to the signal to thicken it up a bit and there's a handy mix slider for instant parallel compression.

There are several plugins that have the omnipotent disclosure triangle like BitCrusher and Channel EQ(!).

There's no rule, but I've found best practice is using the "hidden" options for sidechaining in Logic's compressor. Click the disclosure triangle and set the sidechain to affect a certain frequency–you'll most likely want to set it to match the fundamental frequency of the kick your using as a sidechain source. This provides a bit more a cleaner sound, if you're looking for more of the traditional sidechain "pump" effect, simply dial in the kick sidechain and adjust threshold and release to taste.

Any tips on using this tekkers? Knew about it but figured the physical time the sub is actually ducked you'd barely notice anyways

Any tips on using this tekkers? Knew about it but figured the physical time the sub is actually ducked you'd barely notice anyways
Logic compressors all have naturally long releases when is comes to SC compression, so using a low decay sidechain (or SC filtering) is generally the way to go to get it effective but unnoticeable. Which is what you want 90% of the time.

When you say "long", we are still only talkin about ms tho yeh? I will deffo give this ago as I can see the benefit but as dnb is so fast etc

Getting a sub to sit right should be very easy if the rest of the track is mixed properly so rather than sidechaining I'd look at everything else.

For me, all I really do is set the attack to as short as it will go, put the release at a similar time to how long the peak of your main kick and snare are (if you're compressing them then you roughly want the release of the compressor on the sub to match the attack on the kick or snare). Ratio will usually be fairly low to just give a few db of ducking. For the sort of music I make, you need as much sub as possible and the drums aren't very bassy but if you're making something more techy or commercial then you might want the sub to duck more.

Generally the track should sound ok before sidechaining so if you can't get it any good without it then the rest of the track probably has some sort of flaw in the arrangement or EQ.

Back
Top Bottom