I signed the biggest piece of shit in Drum & Bass, I wish I had known!!

I only know of when they posted on facebook asking for donations towards new equipment then said literally "shame on you" when they received barely any donations

i seem to remember they argued with some producer over a similar sounding snare?

I only know of when they posted on facebook asking for donations towards new equipment then said literally "shame on you" when they received barely any donations

I remember that! What a laugh that was. Who asks their fans for money to buy new equipment, WHO DOES THAT ! haha

For just £2 a month you can sponser Indivision...

17528-Indivision_02.jpg

the mistabishi remix of the indivision ft. tasha baxter tune is awesome though. liking the chords remix too.

i dont get why they are such bellends
you dont see bigger artists acting this way

The thing that will work against you is airing this on a public forum, it just serves for people to check their music who hadn't before & make any other artist think twice about working with you, because you might go crying to the massess if you disagree on something...

Its harsh, but true.

They do sound like spoilt little brats though, maybe their Dads' never gave them a deserved fish-slap when they needed it. Where's 70's John Cleese when you need him...

fish-slapping-dance-o.gif

Before I begin, I wish to remain anonymous (for now) & I won't be exposing the artist I am talking about just yet either. But it is safe to say that he is the most vile & sicking abomination to come out of Drum & Bass since Roni Size - Playtime (I love you Roni but bleurgh!)

To cut to the chase I'm looking for some legal advice, I'm pretty sure I have all my bases covered and I've already gotten some great feedback from my a few in the know at some highly esteemed organisations within the industry but I'd love to get some advice from any one thats maybe been through something similar from a label's point of view or is in the general know regarding this kind of thing. Knowledge is power, as they say ;)

So, let me begin..

This particular artist was paid handsomely and upfront for more than a handful of tracks. Due to a recent break down in relations over a gig booking (I was also his agent for a brief spell), in which he explained that he expected me to work for free after a promoter failed to pay the final part of the fee that was owed. Now, having spoken to the promoter they explained that the reasons for this were that, and I quote' 'he played the worst set I've ever witnessed' they also described him as 'the most jumped up nobody I have had ever booked'. After 2 weeks of me working my arse off for this ball bag, firstly arranging the booking then trying to salvage the final part of the fee, he told me to do one and that he wanted nothing to do with me or my label. Now it gets interesting...the next day he threatens to re sign all the unreleased tracks I have with him on another label or give them away for free if I didn't start working as his agent again after realising that he would never get the rest of the fee without me (yes he begged me, it was the most pathetic embarrassment I have ever witnessed.... cringe o'clcock!). My label is pretty niche and we have little or no budget, all these tracks were purchased from money I had saved up from my modestly paid day job. I've also spent a ton on high quality mastering and have paid for a well known dnb video producer to shoot me a video out on the west coast of America to go along with one of the tracks.

I have written agreements and proof of electronic payments regarding the tracks. Not to mention tons of relevant dialogue over months of working together with this cretin.

If any one has any advice for me that would be great on the best way to deal with this then that would be great, although the feedback I've received from the various industry professionals has filled me with plenty of confidence so far.

As yet the artist has done nothing but he has assured me that he will.

If any one does have any advice then please email me at msecret644@gmail.com, at the moment I'm looking to keep this whole situation as low key as possible so would prefer to have a chin wag behind closed doors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and won't go unnoticed.

Hi mate, i not sure anyone would agree with me but as a label owner who has worked with someone similar.... My advice, move on, forget the situation and get back to business. Best thing you can do mate. Otherwise this could be an on-going headache for you and will reflect on the labels reputation. Drop the guy, let him do as he pleases with hes tracks, even though you have invested money into them..... Think of it this way, if this is the grief youove had with him so far then how much more trouble willl he bring to your label. Count your loses and move on man, honestly, youll sleep better at night.

My situation is similar, investing money into a greedy egotistical artist who is still bum munching hes way to the top of the scene, took me a few months to work him out, now ive fucked him off, its like a wieght of my shoulders. At the end of the day people wisen up to these pricks and the scene is flooded with them at the moment.

Yes Dubsta, that's pretty much what I plan to do. I will still be issuing a barrage of DMCAs against him should he wish to upload the tracks I've signed anywhere though as I find it quite satisfying. Thanks for taking time to share your experience and advice... really helpful. Keep up the good work with your label mate ;)

Back
Top Bottom