Is it worth buying this?

zar2731

Looking to get into mixing d&b and trying to decide what to get...

I was going to get CDJ's but after a conversation with a local DJ he said there was no other option than to get this...

http://pioneerdj.com/english/products/controller/ddj-sx.html

Second hand you can pick them up for £500, he said that controllers were the future and CDJ's will soon be out...

What does everyone here think of this, and is it something worth buying for a newcomer?

Thanks

CDJ's will NOT be out soon. It's the club standard everywhere. IN clubs, festivals, concerts,... Cdj's everywhere.

But, I do advice on getting a midi controller as first dj thing. It's cheap, easy and perfect for getting into it. And if you don't like it, you didn't waste alot of money. If you do enjoy it, you can save up for better gear. (not that the ddj sx is shit, not at all!)
but that is my opinion, i'm pretty sure that here there will be more people for vinyl, because (no offence to anyone, it's just true) the average age is around 30 i think

CDJ's will NOT be out soon. It's the club standard everywhere. IN clubs, festivals, concerts,... Cdj's everywhere.

But, I do advice on getting a midi controller as first dj thing. It's cheap, easy and perfect for getting into it. And if you don't like it, you didn't waste alot of money. If you do enjoy it, you can save up for better gear. (not that the ddj sx is shit, not at all!)
but that is my opinion, i'm pretty sure that here there will be more people for vinyl, because (no offence to anyone, it's just true) the average age is around 30 i think

Thanks for the reply, do I lose anything by getting this controller over CDJ's? Really want to get started but completely unsure which route to take.

cant do really do much wrong with pioneer products usually, you wont lose much money if you decide to sell it again

I'm with Crizis on this one. Controllers are great to start out on, the one you show has all bells and whistles and stuff and a shiny pioneer badge. That doesnt make it the best ever though.

If youve got the inclination, I'd recommend trying out all dj software you can before taking the plunge and dropping £500 on something. That particular one uses serato, there is another version for traktor, there are also about 5 million other controllers that also have bells and whistles at a fraction of the price.

digital dj tips is the best place for you to get advice, theyve written a whole book on how to choose your first controller: https://digitaldjtips.leadpages.net/free-book-v1/
oh yeah, its free.

The sentimental and cynical old shit in me is telling you to go buy turntables now though, otherwise you'll never be a real dj. got it!?

no one will take you seriously, you won't get gigs

I disagree with this, I know plenty of people that get gigs on the regular and use controllers (I mix vinyl so not trying to big it up, just saying), CDJ's will not be out soon that guy is chatting shit they are the most commonly used format at the moment I think (see them everywhere, turntables are a lot harder to find in a club these days), personally I would say get a pair of turntables and go from there if you got the money, I started out on vinyl over 2 1/2 years ago and now have the set up I always wanted from the start (apart I got Stanton T.62's instead of technics but they work for me) and fuck loads of vinyl, so far the longer I've been mixing the more I enjoy it!!!

no one will take you seriously, you won't get gigs

Yeah this is a bit silly, you get gigs off the back of mixes not what format you use. And besides, if you use a Pioneer controller then they behave exactly the same as CDJs so you burn CDs and use them at the gig with little practice.

I'm with Crizis on this one. Controllers are great to start out on, the one you show has all bells and whistles and stuff and a shiny pioneer badge. That doesnt make it the best ever though.

If youve got the inclination, I'd recommend trying out all dj software you can before taking the plunge and dropping £500 on something. That particular one uses serato, there is another version for traktor, there are also about 5 million other controllers that also have bells and whistles at a fraction of the price.

digital dj tips is the best place for you to get advice, theyve written a whole book on how to choose your first controller: https://digitaldjtips.leadpages.net/free-book-v1/
oh yeah, its free.

The sentimental and cynical old shit in me is telling you to go buy turntables now though, otherwise you'll never be a real dj. got it!?
So definitely check out some DJ software before taking the dive into a controller? It just seems easier with a controller.. I haven't even thought about gigs or anything just want a hobby!

So definitely check out some DJ software before taking the dive into a controller? It just seems easier with a controller.. I haven't even thought about gigs or anything just want a hobby!

yeah I get it, but you still need DJ software to use a controller. These arent CDJ's man, you also need a laptop and possibly a sound card too, depending on the controller you choose.

The reason I tell you to try software first is simply that controllers are designed to work with specific software. So if you choose a controller because its shiny and later find out that the software that accompanies that controller is utter dog shit, you'll have wasted your money. Most of the DJ software you can use with controllers is free or has a lite version for you to test, why not just try the software to see if you can actually get on with it? heres some to get you started: Traktor, Serato, Virtual DJ, MIXX, One DJ, etc, etc.

This is a fun hobby, its also a time soak and a money pit, and we all know technology (i.e. controllers) gets outdated faster than I change my pants. Spend your money wisely.

There are Traktor mapping for the SX. There's no reason you can't learn to mix with a controller. They transition to CDJ's very easily. With Rekordbox basically being a full fledged app now, CDJ's aren't much else than expensive controllers.

buy cdjs or vinyl turntables because you will end up mixing by matching the waveforms (visual representation of the sound) instead of using your ears like what DJing is about. Using a controller is not very fun. End of discussion.

Back
Top Bottom