DJ Comp Section Suggestions

Yo.

Few peeps have mentioned about member mix of the month. Sounds like a good idea to me. How we do it, I'm not sure of that yet but I feel we need to get something rocking between us.

Members mixes section has lost a lot of its awesomeness recently and i think its high time we get it back again.

I'm happy to run anything you guys want to do, so lets hear your thoughts.

So, as far as I understand it, the problem with the comps isn't the number of entries it's the number of votes cast, right? So we need to think of a new way to choose a winner...

my idea would be to have a section at the top of members mixes that is mix of the month, everyone who wants to enter posts their mix there, leave it open for people to enter for a certain number of days (not to sure how long, possibly 10 days?) then close it off for a month for people to vote, the top 3 out of the votes goes to a judge/judges to decide the winner. Winner will get there mix posted somewhere (possibly at the top of general or somewhere people will look at) for a month or 2 so the DJ wins publicity and internetz? not to sure if that would work just an idea

my idea would be to have a section at the top of members mixes that is mix of the month, everyone who wants to enter posts their mix there, leave it open for people to enter for a certain number of days (not to sure how long, possibly 10 days?) then close it off for a month for people to vote, the top 3 out of the votes goes to a judge/judges to decide the winner. Winner will get there mix posted somewhere (possibly at the top of general or somewhere people will look at) for a month or 2 so the DJ wins publicity and internetz? not to sure if that would work just an idea

Problem is that's been tried and tested to some extent - like Teddy said elsewhere, he struggled to even get some of those that entered to cast a vote

Problem is that's been tried and tested to some extent - like Teddy said elsewhere, he struggled to even get some of those that entered to cast a vote

that is true, was surprised how many votes the metalheadz minimix comp got thought there would be loads of votes, maybe a few judges to listen to mixes so they are not listening to 10 - 20 mixes, then best mixes from each judge go to a final judge to decide the winner?

@Vanden
yo.
member mix of the month?
i can make a thread > user submits a mix by spamming thread, one with most likes/praise or similar, in that month, wins internet and possibly a tinfoil olympic style medal.

anyone up for it?

Yeh man. Maybe have a thread for it, each month people post a link to their thread and then one that we judge to have the best praise/feedback and number of likes wins?

Yeah. I like it. Doesn't take a lot of effort and should be nice. A great way to get some good mixes out there even further.
No real rules, no min or no max length etc. I possibly see us running into some issues with deciding which mix is winner each month but fuck it. If need be i'll just call it teddy's pick of the month or nominate someone to pick their fav.
I'll start a thread soon in this section where we can spam mixes for April. Closing date will be end of the month, then start a new thread with the winning mix call it May members mix of the month or similar. Stick it in members mixes section and sticky it for the month. Sound good guys?

Anyone got any points or suggestions for it? air your views, we'll make some adjustments and we'll get this cracking.

Yeh no rules - any length, and genre and method of mixing (1210, CDJs etc.) I think the comp thread would get more traffic if it was stickied in the Members Mixes section. Great shout on stickying the winning mix for the following month - that's actually a really good prize

OK cool. I'll try and write up a nice thread today explaining the rules where we can post the submissions.
I have several theories on how to pick a winner:

Based on likes received - a suitable way to decide but everyone hates it. Like those dj comps on facetube. Those are just popularity contests. Will be different on here tho I guess.

Pick a member to judge each month - a great way i think, then winner is decided on merit. however it might be a bit unfair if the person deciding hasn't listened to all the submissions. Depending on how many we get, it may not be feasible. Especially if there are 10 entries at 2hrs long. Much as i love dnb, i'm not listening to 20 hours worth of imperial being double dropped over and over.

A poll to cast votes - Suitable suggestion - before the forum upgrade, we were not able to edit a threads poll so it would mean a new submission thread each month - However it may now be editable. Another con is the poll can't be anonymous, otherwise people may vote for their own. I had someone with the same ip address on another account vote for their own mix before (don't try and be clever, you'll learn you aren't and be publicly shamed)

Thoughts? Any other suggestions? We can change up how we pick a winner each month and see which works best. Trial and error.

OK cool. I'll try and write up a nice thread today explaining the rules where we can post the submissions.
I have several theories on how to pick a winner:

Based on likes received - a suitable way to decide but everyone hates it. Like those dj comps on facetube. Those are just popularity contests. Will be different on here tho I guess.

Pick a member to judge each month - a great way i think, then winner is decided on merit. however it might be a bit unfair if the person deciding hasn't listened to all the submissions. Depending on how many we get, it may not be feasible. Especially if there are 10 entries at 2hrs long. Much as i love dnb, i'm not listening to 20 hours worth of imperial being double dropped over and over.

A poll to cast votes - Suitable suggestion - before the forum upgrade, we were not able to edit a threads poll so it would mean a new submission thread each month - However it may now be editable. Another con is the poll can't be anonymous, otherwise people may vote for their own. I had someone with the same ip address on another account vote for their own mix before (don't try and be clever, you'll learn you aren't and be publicly shamed)

Thoughts? Any other suggestions? We can change up how we pick a winner each month and see which works best. Trial and error.

Based on likes received - I don't think this would turn into a popularity contest to be honest. I think this is the best option - it would be self-regulating and self-managed (apart from the person counting all the likes each month - 5 minute job), it doesn't require hours and hours of listening time from each member and I think it would just end up engrained in the way members interact with the Members Mixes section as a whole. Just to clarify - this is likes on the forum, not soundcloud/mixcloud, right?

Pick a member to judge each month - Nice idea, but ultimately if the member judging doesn't like dancefloor at all, then all the dancefloor mixes will be at a disadvantage. Also, chasing the member up once a month will just prove to be a pain - that's even if we have someone willing each month.

A poll to cast votes
- I think this has proven itself not to work. To be able to say definitively that one mix is better than the rest is not only difficult, it also requires everyone to listen to all the submissions which just isn't going to happen.

The idea of most likes is good but I think having a judge could also be quite a good idea.
As you say though, pretty much impossibru for whoever is the judge on the month to listen to all the mixes. Guess it would be down to maybe handpick the best 5 and then judge then have a top 5 or similar.

Votes could work if we have a lot of keen interest, but obviously looking for more people to vote than the Metalheadz mixes.

The idea of most likes is good but I think having a judge could also be quite a good idea.
As you say though, pretty much impossibru for whoever is the judge on the month to listen to all the mixes. Guess it would be down to maybe handpick the best 5 and then judge then have a top 5 or similar.

Votes could work if we have a lot of keen interest, but obviously looking for more people to vote than the Metalheadz mixes.

Yeah how about we take the top 5 based on how many likes it's received, then someone picks a winner out of that?

Yeah how about we take the top 5 based on how many likes it's received, then someone picks a winner out of that?
That could definitely work. At least with the "likes" it eradicates any biased with the judge until they listen to the 5 mixes with the highest likes.

Back
Top Bottom