Equipment for a beginner to start producing

Tundra

Raggo
VIP Junglist
EZ people,
Been mixing vinyl for 2 and a half years now and loved drum and bass for about 3-4 years. Want to start producing and making my own tracks (not just DNB) but don't know where to start. I already have a dell laptop that I run traktor scratch off from time to time but not sure if it has the capability to handle the software involved in producing. Anyone suggest and reasonably price options to start producing, best software to use, desktop or laptop to produce on, what MIDI keyboards to get etc etc?? Wanted to start doing this for a year now and seen other threads about this before but want to know what people would suggest at the moment? Any help will be appreciated

There are hundreds of possibilities here, depending on your budget. You can go all "freeware" and get Audacity and some free plugs (found here), or you can spend some cash to get a commercial DAW, like FL Studio, or Ableton, or Reaper, or Cubase, and commercial synths as well, like Massive, FM8, Sylenth.

There are hundreds of possibilities here, depending on your budget. You can go all "freeware" and get Audacity and some free plugs (found here), or you can spend some cash to get a commercial DAW, like FL Studio, or Ableton, or Reaper, or Cubase, and commercial synths as well, like Massive, FM8, Sylenth.

Thanks for replying man, I was looking at getting either Cubase or ableton on the software side of things and thinking about getting massive as well, just want to know what people would suggest because I am a serious beginner to this and don't really have a clue what to get just liked the look of those programs

Thanks for replying man, I was looking at getting either Cubase or ableton on the software side of things and thinking about getting massive as well, just want to know what people would suggest because I am a serious beginner to this and don't really have a clue what to get just liked the look of those programs

You can download a "try out" version of those DAWs on their websites. Then you can decide what one you should get, based on what will provide you the best workflow. And be careful about fanboys who will say "Ableton is better", or "Cubase is the worst", or even "Get anything, but don't get FL Studio". There's no better DAW. All DAWs can achieve the same results.

And before spending money and time on paid plugs, I'd first learn the DAW and stock synths.

As for midi keyboards - there are options for all needs and money. It depends on your playing skills(number of keys/mechanics), the need for different controllers(knobs, faders etc.) and the actual size of the thing. The choice is yours but the best option is just to go to the store and try everything by yourself.

thansk for the replies everyone, will give a few things a try out and make decision on a DAW and midi keyboard, what type of computer would be best to get? everyone I know who produces uses a MAC but is there any other good makes of pc that would get the job done? Also is there anything else I would need to start producing?

thansk for the replies everyone, will give a few things a try out and make decision on a DAW and midi keyboard, what type of computer would be best to get? everyone I know who produces uses a MAC but is there any other good makes of pc that would get the job done? Also is there anything else I would need to start producing?

Any computer with at least 4gb of ram. I use a dell laptop with 16gb of ram and a i7 processor, for example.

Mac is not mandatory at all although I've switched completely to it a couple of month ago (last years macbook air 13@ which I use for work and at home with an external display and usb hub to plug all of my stuff). There are no limitations actually(the most noticeable benefits of Mac are better audio drivers(my 2i2 works perfectly there but on windows I've tried every driver available and it still pops/clicks sometimes) with in general lower latencies and Logic Pro X with rediculously low price tag. Other then this it is a complete personal preference weather to use mac or pc.

Yeah as much RAM as you can get & good Processor. Anything above an i5 will serve you well.

You don't need a Mac, they are fashionable but you pay for it. A similar spec on a windows machine will be a lot cheaper and just as good. Plus there are way more free plugins available for windows machines than on Mac's. (i'm a mac user)

Aside from the DAW & Computer....

If I was starting out again I would get an Maudio oxygen with 25 keys for about £60.00.

I'd probably invest in a pair of studio quality headphones like Beyerdynamic Dt770's. about £120.00. (Monitors are defintely a better option but a good pair will cost your entire budget and then some.)

I'd probably also look to get an audio interface. The Focusrite Saffire 6 is a good choice and quite cheap. About £130.00.

IMO that would be enough for anybody to start out on.

Yeah as much RAM as you can get & good Processor. Anything above an i5 will serve you well.

You don't need a Mac, they are fashionable but you pay for it. A similar spec on a windows machine will be a lot cheaper and just as good. Plus there are way more free plugins available for windows machines than on Mac's. (i'm a mac user)

Aside from the DAW & Computer....

If I was starting out again I would get an Maudio oxygen with 25 keys for about £60.00.

I'd probably invest in a pair of studio quality headphones like Beyerdynamic Dt770's. about £120.00. (Monitors are defintely a better option but a good pair will cost your entire budget and then some.)

I'd probably also look to get an audio interface. The Focusrite Saffire 6 is a good choice and quite cheap. About £130.00.

IMO that would be enough for anybody to start out on.

Thanks for the advice mate, I currently have a pair of rokit 5's and use seinheisser HD25's that I use when I'm mixing, would this be ok to use for producing?

One of the stickied threads is made for this shit http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/...o-get-started-in-Music-Production-quot-Thread

So yeah, try out as many DAWs as you can be fucked to (and i highly recommend going 64 bit, especially if youve got a decent puter), and definitely try to learn synthesis or any sound creating/mixing stuff before you go out and buy plugins. learn to drive before upgrading the exhaust, yeah.

I also recommend getting a focusrite. I have a 2i2, but with your budget a 2i6 would be much better.

One of the stickied threads is made for this shit http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/...o-get-started-in-Music-Production-quot-Thread

So yeah, try out as many DAWs as you can be fucked to (and i highly recommend going 64 bit, especially if youve got a decent puter), and definitely try to learn synthesis or any sound creating/mixing stuff before you go out and buy plugins. learn to drive before upgrading the exhaust, yeah.

I also recommend getting a focusrite. I have a 2i2, but with your budget a 2i6 would be much better.

Thanks for the advice man, did look through the other posts on this before posting but wanted to start a new post because of updates in software, better equipment coming out etc etc, will definitly try to get used to the software before downloading loads of pluggins, will look into getting a focusrite

+ Cubase runs better on pc due to the drivers mac osx uses.
(At least that's what I've noticed from working on both a mac and a pc.)

Cheapest and best option in my opinion would be Reason 7 and some good drum sample/breaks sample packs. No need to buy plugins right away. It has everything you need to start producing.

Cheapest and best option in my opinion would be Reason 7 and some good drum sample/breaks sample packs. No need to buy plugins right away. It has everything you need to start producing.

Definately a good point.... Reason is often frowned upon by other DAW users, but its a vey good starting block to learn on and as they say "Its not what you use........ etc"
And as stated you can literally get reason and away you go, theres enough FREE samples on the net to even bother with sample packs to start with.

I take it as yourve been djing for a while youll already have a set up, so you can just link you PC, Mac or Lappy to that, until your ready to move onto a 'Proper' set up with studio monitors, keyboard/Midi controller etc...... But again, i know people who are making serious tracks that are being signed to big labels and all they have is a Lappy and pair of headphones, youd be surprised. Dont be taken in by big producers with massive studios, remember they have been doing this for 300years and have built it all up from scratch.

Its one thing having tons of studio gear its another being able to use it.

get ableton or fruity loops. why? shit load of tutorials on the net. work with stock plugins. learn a bit of music theory and a bit of synthesis. get some decent samples. thats all you need. monitor at low volume and don't wear your headphones for long periods : look after your ears!!
I used to use a 2007 mac with 2 gbs of ram and it worked just fine.
don't spend a single cent yet.

Back
Top Bottom