Too many WHACK DJs!

Rusket

Mix an blend
VIP Junglist
Why has there been a ridiculous increase in the amount of shit DJs in the past year or two? How can someone stand behind the decks with 2 tunes clearly out of time and still be there nodding their head? How can someone turn up with a case full of the most overplayed CDs in drum and bass? Why is it that DJs will go out with a 100% planned mix and not play to the crowd reaction?

Absolute bullshit. If you are all out of time you need some practice. You are not Andy C because you are mixing on 3 decks. There are some sick DJs out there though... For example, I think Papa Jaro of this forum is a sick DJ. Just too many bellends out there that think they are the nuts.

I guess it's just the easy access to dj-gear and programs...
Admitted I started just the same way, just trying out..

But alot of people just buy a midi and roll with it, thinking they are the shitniz.
Rip some youtube mp3's press sync and there we go, another bedroom dj born.

I know what you mean. It's a pain in the arse. There is nothing I enjoy more than djing in a (usually half empty) club. I seriously don't understand why some djs look like they'd rather be at their mates cats funeral.

I've noticed that a lot of it is just ego. There are a lot of people from round my way getting into djing because they think it will make them look cooler or make them money.

This is nothing new. The quality of djing in drum and bass has always been subpar compared to other genres. I would say it's a result of the dubplate culture that's always been in the genre.

This is nothing new. The quality of djing in drum and bass has always been subpar compared to other genres. I would say it's a result of the dubplate culture that's always been in the genre.

I disagree, I always hated DJ's and electronic music until my dumb ass stumbled upon Drum and Bass and a DJ Zinc in some shitty club in Baltimore back some...14... or so years ago,(fuck i'm old) at the high cost of three dollars. Exquisite music with avant-garde sounds met with an extemporaneous style of conducting music. Many... many...many of my favorite djs always show exemplary taste while rising out a set. Even better, many fans of drum and bass are nothing more that nerds or connoisseurs of the music genera. Let house music be the next Niki Manage back ground. Mean while as op suggest, people like Papa will slowly bring dnb to just were it belongs.

Why has there been a ridiculous increase in the amount of shit DJs in the past year or two? How can someone stand behind the decks with 2 tunes clearly out of time and still be there nodding their head? How can someone turn up with a case full of the most overplayed CDs in drum and bass? Why is it that DJs will go out with a 100% planned mix and not play to the crowd reaction?

Absolute bullshit. If you are all out of time you need some practice. You are not Andy C because you are mixing on 3 decks. There are some sick DJs out there though... For example, I think Papa Jaro of this forum is a sick DJ. Just too many bellends out there that think they are the nuts.

You realise the promotor is the only one to blame for this yeh? If they are booking shit DJs then they are at fault, you can't blame the DJ if he's been booked and not ready.

You realise the promotor is the only one to blame for this yeh? If they are booking shit DJs then they are at fault, you can't blame the DJ if he's been booked and not ready.

Yes I missed out this part. You are right, it is on the promoters some of the time. Especially when they are mates with the DJs.

Because its never been so easily accessable. And back in the beginning it was a closed community. All the old originals such as micky finn, darren jay, brockie, ray keith etc..... they kept a tight ship, along with the promotors and record labels. Nowadays, anyone can put on a night, start a label, make a track or whatever....... Then throw social netowrking into the equasion and a new artist is born regardless of talent.

Ive recently given up Djing to concentrate on my label, the last 3 years ive not had many weekends ive not had a booking, but i can admit to myself im not a great dj, compared to some out there, but because of my label, connections and putting on nights i got booked a lot. this is why i thought its time to hang up the headphones, no shame in admitting this, i can still love the music from the other side of the booth.

My point is, ive done really well to have had so many bookings, especially with my level of skill. So its not about talent at mid level, its about how you sell yourself and networking. I think at the top level of the scene it matters. No ones going to get a headline set after Bukem or Hype if they have no skill.

- - - Updated - - -

Strongly disagree with that...... Dubplate culture was more jungle, one of the hardest musics to mix. Drum n Bass is harder to mix than House for example yet the Djs from the house scene get rated as the best in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Not true.... unfortunately, if promotors just booked sick djs the event would be empty. Promotors have to book popular djs to get heads in the door, trust me i know

Jumping Jack Frost has done it for the past 20 years, so others should be allowed the privilege? :teeth:

On a real, I kinda get what you're saying, but i can't see any real longevity these days in any up & coming dj's career if they can't beatmatch, unless they themselves are running the night & its just their set that sucks...

What is even more of a shame is all the highly skilled dj's out there in d&b, that aren't also highly skilled producers, have very little chance of furthering their careers sameway...

I've been in despair in one way or another for the scene in general for a number of years now tbh, yes there is some very good music/nights/dj's, but... Is the scene in general healthy?

Its a tough one...

Not true.... unfortunately, if promotors just booked sick djs the event would be empty. Promotors have to book popular djs to get heads in the door, trust me i know

To be fair if you run your nights with that ethos then I feel bad for you son. Headliners bring crowds, not local DJs. FTR I run nights for about 3 years so I'm not talking out of speculation, I actually never booked shit DJs.

Last edited:
What is even more of a shame is all the highly skilled dj's out there in d&b, that aren't also highly skilled producers, have very little chance of furthering their careers sameway...

Basically this. Moskit ate all the truth serum

Met people over the years that you'd be amazed by the fact they don't hold down regular spots in clubs/nights.

But then I'd say anyone who'd believe DJing is a career is delusional...99% of people would have to get a job alongside DJing, back in the day it was a lot different.

Everyone can be anything they want and is a specially gifted super snowflake-mentality b2b culture of instant gratification.

Going into something thinking you might just become the very very best in the whole wide world at it one day is fine and dandy, not realizing it's going to take years of hard work and practice is delusional.

Trying to produce and being a good DJ is difficult when you have a job though. My mixing has seriously suffered since I started my job as I have barely any time to practice. Most if my wages are going on bills as well, which means I can't afford to buy any new tunes. This has resulted in me struggling to show any enthusiasm when mixing.

Trying to produce and being a good DJ is difficult when you have a job though. My mixing has seriously suffered since I started my job as I have barely any time to practice. Most if my wages are going on bills as well, which means I can't afford to buy any new tunes. This has resulted in me struggling to show any enthusiasm when mixing.

I feel that.

The other thing is as well after being at work for 9 hours a day it's pretty hard to find the motivation to sit down in front of yet another screen and teach myself a whole new skill set (producing)

I feel that.

The other thing is as well after being at work for 9 hours a day it's pretty hard to find the motivation to sit down in front of yet another screen and teach myself a whole new skill set (producing)

This. Started producing whilst on night shifts as end up having a fair few hours free. But looking at another screen during a shift where i have to stare at 2 screens for 12 hours... zaps the fun right out of it.

If you really wanted to learn then you would force yourself to. It takes on average 10,000 hours of practice and work for someone to become professional at something. That's a lot of nights.

If you want something that badly you will apply yourself and make it happen.

Back
Top Bottom