Looking to buy a sub

chz

Im looking to buy a sub, something fairly cheap for now, willing to spend up to about £150/£200. So has anyone got any suggestions for a good entry level sub? Or what I should be looking for when I buy one? At the moment I have 2x Onkyo D-n9bx speakers (which are pretty outdated, but still have a fairly nice sound)

Here's one that Im interested in:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul09/articles/samsonresolva6120a.htm

Or maybe I should buy a fairly cheap £80 and then buy a few more things like a soundcard or some hardware compressers?

You will probably have to spend at lot more than 200 quid for a hardware compressor that will actually make something sound warmer than just using software. Soundcard is a good idea if you dont already have one, i recommend one that has the option of volume for headphones and monitors. For the sub, seriously just buy a 60 quid car sub, mine can play the 20-30 hz stuff, its fine for mixing, but i do have some ns10's that have nothing below 70 (think its the amp and untreated room) so not having the option of crossover doesnt really matter.

Just remember that bass frequencies are omnidirectional, and don't need to be facing you the way tweeters do. Place the sub enough distance away to where the long waves actually develop, so perhaps 3 feet away from you

Low frequencies are massive. A 100 hz wave at in a room at 72 degrees Fahrenheit is around 11.3 feet or something. A sub isn't really needed in a small room if you have 6+inch woofers on your monitors. You just need to get the placement right.

Monitoring is more important... Acoustics as well. Get some decent monitors and a decent audio interface before you waste your money on a sub

Back
Top Bottom