Lowpassing a bass

Quotec

Sup?

I am currently just experimenting around with some other types of bass(because standard reese is quite boring) and so I managed to create some decent movement with processing a bass consisting square wave by detuned saw wave. We all know from the theory that this kind of bass(well, it´s not really a bass but rather a bass synth?) contains a lot of harmonics and does sound pretty good across whole freq. spectrum. Judging by what I hear I decided that above 12kHz it doesn´t sound good and so I cut that part out. I also lowpassed that thing because it sounds really greasy and by lowpassing around 2kHz it feels quite good. But that is where problem pops up. By lowpassing that so much I lose some vital higher freqs. and it starts to sound kind of muddy. By lowpassing it higher than 2kHz it doesn´t sound super good too. So it got me thinking what kind of techniques are there to handle these greasy frequencies of saw and square waves so that they don´t annoy, but at the same time retaining some of these vital higher freqs?

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, my grammar... Sorry, I am in a hurry.

In this case I have implemented this technique and it didn´t prove beneficial. Instead I freq. splitted the bass, mixed individual parts as best as I could and now I am trying to gate the higher freq. part to make some interesting movement, because honestly it gets frustrating to hear that bass for a longer time.

Just create a notch at the problematic frequencies. That is basically corrective EQing.

Also try layering with another sound. I hear a few tunes where it is obviously just one synth and it can sound a little dull after a while.

same patch pitched up 12semitones, change the processing to suit the higher frequencies, layer over the top and mix in. Like what sam said

Also bounce down your bass synth and load the bounce into a granular synth. You can get some cool edits by doing so that you may want to introduce later on to help maintain interest.

What I like to do sometimes is run the bass through Alchemy, adjust the stretch parameter so that it played at around 10% of the originals speed. Then remove a lot of the low end, have a long attack and release, modulate some parameters, add fx (chorus, delay, verb). Then use the resulting patch as a pad for the intro.

Back
Top Bottom