Connecting my midi to my focusrite Saffire 6.

lyfie

I've got an m audio axiom 49 gen 2 keyboard & it's really laggy.

A member on here pointed out if I go directly from my midi to audio interface it should be on point.

So my questions are,

Do I need a 5 pin midi cable to connect it up?

Will the usb lead supplied with my midi still need to be used as my power source?

Sorry if these are stupid & basic questions, but this is in another realm to me.

Why don't you just use USB connection insted of midi-out? And you will loose M-audio mapping features I believe with midi.
Most of the times especially on windows you have lags because of the audio driver and buffer size. If your sound card driver is not working good enough, try Asio4All it helps most of the time.

At the back of my audio interface I have 5 pin midi in & out, usb 1.1 for power, 2 trs sockets & 4 phono inputs.

So If I'm using the usb as my power how do I connect the midi to it using usb?

At the back of my audio interface I have 5 pin midi in & out, usb 1.1 for power, 2 trs sockets & 4 phono inputs.

So If I'm using the usb as my power how do I connect the midi to it using usb?

Why you want to connect your keyboard via midi anyway? Just connect it to computer via usb and install the needed drivers. Midi out on your keyboard is for controlling external hardware like synths. There is no point connecting it to your audio interface like this.

It must be perfectly fine using USB with proper driver/buffer settings for lag-free playing. Anyway even if you connect your keyboard via midi it is audio driver who generates latency, not a connection type.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom