The BCee production method...

Exactly the opposite of what it set out to be, which is why 95% of dnb is stagnent and boring at the moment. Clones of clones of clones of clones, produced to a very high standard with no emotion or feeling put into it.
I think people see it as a means to an end now, it's just fodder for a weekend then it gets brushed aside. Partly because there's no struggle anymore Download a cracked version of whatever you want on your laptop and away you go. There's no investment in your future, so you've got nothing to loose.
Maybe gone off on a bit of a tangent there, but no music should be about 95% technicality and 5% EMOTION.

i agree 100%. its not a good thing, but sadly thats where it is right now.

This is funny, because I believe you need to know music theory to make good music. At least, to be able to pick that melody you have in your head, and put it on your DAW. I'm being honest that I know very little of music theory, and most things I do are out of pure "luck", or following some tutorials.

I think we, as producers, need to find a balance between putting feeling into a music, and it's technical part.

Riisu hit the nail on the head!

Issue I have much like every other producer out there is that everything has been done to death!!
To avoid sounding like a clone or every other producer is IMO the hardest challenge in DnB up there with mixdowns and snares....
There might be an unlimited way of making things sound different, but there are only so many basic riffs/notes you can pick for your 'theme' eg the low end.
Doing stuff that's innovative and out the box will more than likely destroy your fanbase/ the chances of being palatable to a wider audience.
Everyone starts their production journey for the love. To maintain that fire inside whilst being bombarded with shit tracks 24/7 that people adore and lap up is incredibly tedious. Especially when IMO they can be done blidfolded!

I have on an off days with this shit! Big time!

I give a shit

Don't get me wrong i give a shit about it, hence why i try my hardest to avoid sampling/copying. I feel I'm at a stage now, where I can recreate pretty much 90% of what i hear? (give or take)
I was talking about other producers who 'blag it' to the end product, it doesn't matter as much as i thought it did, purely because im not hearing them being called out on it?

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong i give a shit about it, hence why i try my hardest to avoid sampling/copying. I feel I'm at a stage now, where I can recreate pretty much 90% of what i hear? (give or take)
I was talking about other producers who 'blag it' to the end product, it doesn't matter as much as i thought it did, purely because im not hearing them being called out on it?

I am not knocking you or think that you are unoriginal. I just finished taking a bunch English college classes. One main theme in every class is know your audience and write to them. The same is true for music. You are a professional, if not then at a professional level. You have to make music and target your audience. Personally I don't fault anyone, especially professionals for doing their job. I have a job and I am a professional. I sell high end beers and wine for a living and know my shit. However, Budwizer and Miller lite still make up a large part of my business. I can't just stop selling it because they are shit or a large percentage of my customer base will leave. You Sammy, must also keep that in mind when making music. I luckily do not.

Where I give a shit is with my own music. I don't have a target audience. I get to make music because it is fun. But don't get me wrong if I could make a song like, After Glow, or any thing Nosia does I would. Hell I try. Recently I made a dub-step song that I wanted to be somewhat skillexy. But at some point I also wanted to put a flute in because fuck it I can.

As far as listening goes, I spend more time in here listening than I do to professional music. Sure we make a lot of shit songs but there is a lot more originality in this forum than on DnB Arena's top ten list. So as a listener I give a shit. I get to listen to music few people in this world will, that is raw, edgy, original and inspiring. For example, mr ape has been making really weird tracks lately that I like, or when grolle did that rasta remix of that shit song with the singing. Mr fletch has been fun to listen to over the years. I could go on.

I also want to point out grolle told blu mar ten that there song way unoriginal or at least part of it where. Then they got all upset. Grolle was right. When it got down to the basics the track was a basic reece and break with some really basic parts put together really fucking well. Better than I could do it anyway.

Which brings me back to my point, I made in the first page. Sometimes less is more.

Just watched the CM magazine's BCee tutorial.

His method is pretty much the opposite of everything that comes up on this forum all the time: no sound design, next to no processing, no mastering or mixing at all- just carefully choosing the right samples and bunging them together in a track.

The only thing he did that was technically difficult was layer a load of (10?) breaks together, but he'd just used most of them raw because they were ready processed and only EQ'd a couple.

He only did the most simple variations as well: bringing stuff in and out, no music theory at all...

I think we should all pay attention to this method a bit more.
Having mad compressing skills, millions of VSTs and being able to make super processed basses will not make you a producer, it will make you a sample pack designer.

.... Because forums are not a bible for production

- - - Updated - - -

If it sounds good it sounds good simple..... fuck how much proceessing and tricky techniques have been deployed....or not deployed. The track is either good or shit

I also want to point out grolle told blu mar ten that there song way unoriginal or at least part of it where. Then they got all upset. Grolle was right. When it got down to the basics the track was a basic reece and break with some really basic parts put together really fucking well. Better than I could do it anyway.

Mate completely understand where you're coming from and I bear it in mind always that I really don't want to/ avoid coming across as a clone as much as poss. There are tunes im not proud of but its a representation of what we can actually achieve if you get me? For an example, take a skrillex track, as you mentioned. Just being able to recreate it to his level, where its indistinguishable from your version and his, is IMO, a massive achievement in itself!
Now, if you sold that track under your guise, I would personally not rate you at all! I would however look out for your next production, as if you can produce at that level then there is no reason as to why you cant create something that's unique to your 'sound' at that same calibre.
Still doesn't make it right, but as a whole. Dnb is saturated with this shit, as most are getting a reece bass smashing some amens on top and creating a decent vibe, even tho the formula has been rinsed. It is just going to get lost with everything else!

Personally the aim of the game for me, is to make at least 1 element if not everything... but at least 1 element must be impossible or very tricky to make in each track. Something i myself would struggle to recreate given the chance.
If i can make something that baffles me, and it sounds good and fits with the track, then for me ill be happy with the tune overall. As now it's actually challenging and somewhat inspiring to others...? Thats just me tho?

And mega LOL at groelle going in on Blu mar ten. I would like it more if people were called out on their 'shit' tunes. It just helps the whole movement take it up a notch and (d)excell :teeth:

Last edited:
camo & krooked are doing something pretty unusual (they now have the money/fanbase to do it), billain, fis a lot of the samurai camp are doing experimental shit and it works for them, frederic robinson does something completly different ect.

also bcee is a fuckin ace producer and i rate lost & found as one of the best albums of 2013, I don't care if he gets someone else to do the mixdown because his tunes are fucking vibes

also simple =/= bad, when are people going to realise that less is oftentimes more?

also simple =/= bad, when are people going to realise that less is oftentimes more?
Very true. Classic musical pieces are made from great riffs, melodies and chord progressions not production standards.

Mate completely understand where you're coming from and I bear it in mind always that I really don't want to/ avoid coming across as a clone as much as poss. There are tunes im not proud of but its a representation of what we can actually achieve if you get me? For an example, take a skrillex track, as you mentioned. Just being able to recreate it to his level, where its indistinguishable from your version and his, is IMO, a massive achievement in itself!
Now, if you sold that track under your guise, I would personally not rate you at all! I would however look out for your next production, as if you can produce at that level then there is no reason as to why you cant create something that's unique to your 'sound' at that same calibre.
Still doesn't make it right, but as a whole. Dnb is saturated with this shit, as most are getting a reece bass smashing some amens on top and creating a decent vibe, even tho the formula has been rinsed. It is just going to get lost with everything else!

Personally the aim of the game for me, is to make at least 1 element if not everything... but at least 1 element must be impossible or very tricky to make in each track. Something i myself would struggle to recreate given the chance.
If i can make something that baffles me, and it sounds good and fits with the track, then for me ill be happy with the tune overall. As now it's actually challenging and somewhat inspiring to others...? Thats just me tho?

And mega LOL at groelle going in on Blu mar ten. I would like it more if people were called out on their 'shit' tunes. It just helps the whole movement take it up a notch and (d)excell :teeth:

If it makes you feel better most of the shit you do I could not re-create. Possibly some of the tracks in their most basic form but that is it.

Haha funny you say that cos Brian was thinking about uploading a ZIP containing Massive patches for all the current dubstep monster sounds and screeches etc, giving it away for free so that other big producers have to step their game lol! It would be amazing if it actually worked :lol:

Haha funny you say that cos Brian was thinking about uploading a ZIP containing Massive patches for all the current dubstep monster sounds and screeches etc, giving it away for free so that other big producers have to step their game lol! It would be amazing if it actually worked :lol:

Who is Brian and where are these massive patches? :teeth:

Who is Brian and where are these massive patches? :teeth:

Brian is pretty much Dubba Johnny. ;)

And Russla hold out for now, I've been speaking to Dave about getting a sample pack together, and I think we were planning on coming down to see you guys soon. Might be wise to join forces and create a decent sample pack with all our input! :gang_bang

What have I started?
I was just thinking about focusing on vibes a bit more, now everyone's trying to overthrow all the current producers...

And Russla hold out for now, I've been speaking to Dave about getting a sample pack together, and I think we were planning on coming down to see you guys soon. Might be wise to join forces and create a decent sample pack with all our input! :gang_bang
for the love of god dont make it too easy to use.

I never soak up too much from other producers production methods, as everyone has a different approach.
I can appreciate alternate techniques and take a few hints here and there, but I tend to stick to what I know.
(call it narrow-minded and stubborn)

Yeah mate would be a laugh! We'd end up making something smutty by the end of it too, always happens after a resample sesh ha

Back
Top Bottom