Maztek grainy bass

I've been trying to achieve Mazteks grainy bass sound and can't quite figure it out any advise?

I need to get this! That tune is SICK!

My best guess is it's just clever layering.
If you are stuggling it's more than likely cause you're trying to do it all in one sound?? I've noticed many neuro producers kind of mask a sound by making all the individual elements sound like its one noise!
The trick is to creating all the things you are hearing individually like the high end crunch using band passes or band rejects with shit loads of distortion, and then layer it up with a lower mid rangey noise then if thats still not doing it add some detuned squares, sines, or saws lowpassed and with some movement on the cutoff. Its just carefully blending it all.

ORRRRR

Get in massive or anything that makes noise. Fuck about with a sound till you get it sounding as gritty as poss. Off the top take some saw's or squares detune them add a bunch of distortion, a notch filter... then a lowpass (put them in parallel...or dont?), move the cut off of each one with different lfo's, put the opposite of those lfo's on the resonance (if it sounds good). Piss about till you get it some sort of decent sound. Distort some more on the fx channel, eq to taste. Export it, then stick it in a granulizer, play with knobs till it starts doing some crazy shit. add more distortion and eq'ing export again. rinse and repeat. Then chop out stuff you like and make an arrangement of the sounds with touches here n there of added noises to accompany the crazy warpy shit you should potentially have after all the resampling.

1st method you have way more control. 2nd method is a pot luck gamble. and a pain in the arse when it comes to working out the key of the crazy shit you've warped. Both methods if done right, yield amazing results!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Dexcell provided some very great tips!

I hear a bandpass in there which creates the movement, combine that with volume automation to create stabby hits or rising hits and so on, you could also do this with a filter for a different result. Layer a plain sub underneath to give it some weight and then process. Add some saturation or tube distortion for some more warmth and grit and then record one long note with pitchbends, a whole bunch of different sounding automations and after recording the long note chop the parts out like Dexcell said. Also try reversing the recorded clip for different sounding modulations! Then finally add some frequency splitting to control the sub, mid and highs individually and get it sounding as fat and gritty as possible.

Yh cheers lads, I think Dexcell is right the gritty sound does sound like its just on highs so i'll give that a go, a lot of tracks have got it atm & i'm not after the same bass just the hi pass crackle sound, I've got a feeling he done it in massive so i'll F about n see what I come up wit....

Back
Top Bottom