PLUG IN for subs

Wait. Don't we all make a simple sine wave for our subs, distort it and lowpass it?
If this is true, then does it really matter what synth you're using? I mean, wouldn't the quality of the distortion fx you are using be more important than the synth itself?

I use Overdrive instead if distortion but only subtly

I've also always thought that fm8's sine sounded warmer. Maybe imagined.

I try out both and see whatever work best for the mix. Make no mistake. It's hardly ever exactly the sub I'd like. Why I don't know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ie. I use massive sometimes when I want to sculpt the sine into something that fits with the mix. Low pass filter at the right spot plus resonance. Maybe even double the oscillators and sometimes use a square wave with a low pass on it. From there I'll also use the envelopes to shape the sound and get rid of clicks if there are any.

Otherwise I'll just use the init fm8 patch.

The problem that I'm having is that the sub often feels weak. Maybe it is the way that I'm mixing it in relation to other elements.

And if I compare it to other people's tracks, the sub doesn't compare. So maybe it's the mastering phase but I doubt.

If I'm using FL plugins then everything is fat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
the synths seem to be able to play across the keyboard better, but make supersaw chord, pitch down to the depths of hell, overdrive with desk gain (to total and utter fuck, with maxxed out bass on the eq) then lowpass. this gives you a more chordey sub and you can do different chords on your super saw. check teebees remix of two sword technique for a good example of what this can sound like. not saying he did that, but i am saying thats the bass sound you can acheive using this technique. stick a sine under it if you need more bass. only problem with lowpassing overdriven saw waves is that they are not as easy to control and play over the keyboard as a synth. for some reason, i really dont know why. come to think of it, if you freq analyze a pure sine vs. a lowpassed hypersaw, thats probably why haha.

Back
Top Bottom