Audio interface

Dark Lizardro

The Lizard that used to have a hammer
VIP Junglist
Hey there!

I produce my songs on a mid-gamer laptop, and to me the quality of the audio is just fine. But this friend of mine, who have already worked on a studio, said to me that I should get an external audio interface, because it will level up the quality of the audio rendered. My question is: is there much difference on audio output, when using an external interface? Plus, can I have some recommendations on what interface should I get?

Thanks a lot!

seeing as you're on a laptop, i'm assuming your speakers are connected to your computer via the headphone jack/line-out.

in which case, yes an audio interface will probably improve the audio output

and it's worth getting one anyway, so you can use a decent microphone should the desire to do so present itself.

seeing as you're on a laptop, i'm assuming your speakers are connected to your computer via the headphone jack/line-out.

in which case, yes an audio interface will probably improve the audio output

and it's worth getting one anyway, so you can use a decent microphone should the desire to do so present itself.

Yeah, I'm using headphones (beyer's 880DT). So, any suggestion on what brand should I search for?

focusrite 2i2. cheap and cheerful.

don't have one myself, but i've heard nothing but good things.

I have both the 2i2 and the 18i20. (Last one would be a bit overkill for your needs most likely :p)
But the 2i2 is a really great portable audio interface seeing it's powered by USB.

+ Focusrite preamps are amazing.

I've just bought 2i2 today and there is a noticeable difference compared to macbook air built-in sound card and my pc's asus xonar ds.

Haven't got a chance to test it with my monitors(no trs cables were available in that store, will buy them tomorrow) but with my Sennheiser hd 280 pro the quality and loudness is higher, especially bass response and clarity in highs as far as I can tell after listening to Utah Jazz albums for couple of hours :)

i have a safire 6 and the quality is outstanding. not sure about headphones tho. if your planning to get monitors its deffinately worth a purchase

+1 on the focusrite scarlett 2i2.However i mostly use it for my HS8 monitors.Before i bought this audio interface i had my monitors hooked up to my motherboards soundcard.I noticed a little quality difference when hooking them up to the 2i2, maybe its just me...For headphones i use some cheap sony headphones to check how my mixes translate so i really cant tell the difference for that.But i am also planning to buy the same headphones as you soon.Also it depends what ohm's your headphones have so your interface can drive the volume loud enough.

Just bought pair of trs jacks cables and plugged my HS8. There is definately a difference, but as flopix said not a big one.
And it is hell of an easy task now to check with headphones without the need to unpower monitors -> unplug em -> plug headphones -> check and repeat that process backwards :)

Yeah, so there's this problem: In this shithole of country I live in, I couldn't find the Scarlet 2i2, even on physical stores. What I have avaliable, for my budget are: Presonus Audiobox and Prodipe Studio 22 Pro. Do any of you have any of those?

Yeah, so there's this problem: In this shithole of country I live in, I couldn't find the Scarlet 2i2, even on physical stores. What I have avaliable, for my budget are: Presonus Audiobox and Prodipe Studio 22 Pro. Do any of you have any of those?

i'd imagine the presonus one is a good shout... same sorta deal as the focusrite

Well, i use a 2i2 (which is perfect for your situation btw), but since that isnt an option, i'd go the Audiobox, because music radar gave it a better rating. If you could get a 2i2 through imports, it'd probably be cheaper than the Audiobox too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I decided to go with the Audiobox. when it arrives, I may tell you wall if the difference is really something, or if it was just some kind of hype. Thank you all for your help!

Yeah, I decided to go with the Audiobox. when it arrives, I may tell you wall if the difference is really something, or if it was just some kind of hype. Thank you all for your help!

you have a DT 880 Pro 250ohm right?
Be warned that you'll have to crank them up to get a decent sound out of something that's USB powered.
(I had that problem with my 2i2, my current interface has it's own power cable so I don't have that problem anymore : ) )

you have a DT 880 Pro 250ohm right?
Be warned that you'll have to crank them up to get a decent sound out of something that's USB powered.
(I had that problem with my 2i2, my current interface has it's own power cable so I don't have that problem anymore : ) )

Yeah, I already know that, as actually i need to raise the volume of my computer to almost it's fullness to listen to something not as loud.

Yeah, I already know that, as actually i need to raise the volume of my computer to almost it's fullness to listen to something not as loud.
not smart getting the 250 with only a computer, soundcards by themselves struggle. The same applies to most interfaces too, just get a cheap headphone amp to be able to get a decent level so you dont have to drive the soundcard.

not smart getting the 250 with only a computer, soundcards by themselves struggle. The same applies to most interfaces too, just get a cheap headphone amp to be able to get a decent level so you dont have to drive the soundcard.

If you knew what headphones I used before getting the beyer's, you'd really agree it was a smart move to buy them :)

Thanks on the info about the amp. I've read even articles on how to make one. DIY FTW, man!

Back
Top Bottom