Studio headphones for sound design etc..

flopix

I know there are many threads about headphones but i just cant decide.I wouldn't mix/master on these headphones becouse I have my monitors for that.I need some headphones to use through the night where i cant blast my monitors.I would mainly use them for making presets in synths, making breaks, maybe some eq...

I have been looking into Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro as they are in my budget.Should i go for closed,semi-open or open back headphones?

Any recomendations?

I have some cheap sony headphones for like 20€ but I dont think they do the trick.

Last edited:
You are in the same boat as i were few weeks ago. In a result of long research i have came up on top with 2 headphones, one from beyerdynamic(dt 880 pro) and one from ath(m-50´s). Dt´s are semi-open which basically means that they have balanced sound with no emphasis on whatever part and i guess it´s very good to have such headphones as you get clear and revealing sound. M-50´s on the other hand are closed-back with slight emphasis on low-end which is not bad after all for dnb producers. Both headphones are widely praised in music producers community. With dt-880 you want to purchase amp to get the best out of these cans and as this was additional expense i couldn´t afford i went with m-50´s.

My personal choice would be semi-opened cans but we can´t totally ignore closed-back headphones as a dnb producers.

Yeah ive been looking at those two also but the dt-880 are like 100€ more expensive.The m-50 however are almost the same price as the dt-990 but im scared if they are totally closed they will sound too much coloured.

I got hold of some m-50's a little while ago, they immediately sorted out my mixdowns and I would not be without them now.
Regardless of how you feel about coloured sound, an untreated room and un-isolated monitors are doing way more colouring of sound than any of your chosen headphones will.
Stop procrastinating and do it.

I have ATH-M50 and I am quite satisifed with its sound. But if youre leaning towards ATH-M50 you should also check ATHs new improved model ATH-M50x.

I'm using these bad boys - Transcend TS-EP1W (y)
300x300px-LS-852f6460_B001I49GJS-312DSLQV-+L.jpg

I love my ACS T3's for monitoring, crystal clear sound, and you can work at amazingly low volumes with the custom plugs...very important with any headphones if you value your hearing

Hello there I just recently picked up the KRK KNS8400's studio headphones, they sound really flat which means your not going to get any false sound. High end and Mid sound crisp and the bass is strong but is not boosted also they are very comfortable and don't clamp your head, They are around 100 pounds but there Is a cheaper option (6400's) If they are not in your price range. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom