Matrix & Futurebound, Sigma, TC

fair play, wouldnt know what to say in your position aswell :teeth:

+1

when it was underground everyone whined and asked why it didnt get the deserved recognition - now that it does get big people pick on that, too.

and lets be honest here - A fucking LOT of us are only hear bc of pendulums hold your colour, some sub focus tune or the netsky-fad. just because you grew out of it doesnt equal its bad - or that others shouldnt have the chance of doing what you did - discover the music on your means and not someone elses.

for clarification, TL; DR: I REALLY HATE THAT ELITIST ATTITUDE WHICH IS DISPLAYED BY MOST DNB-HEADS .

Just find myself ranting about a rant really. No one's taste is supreme or better than anyone, it's all a matter of opinion.

Can't understand why the guy just doesn't move on. He hardly posts productive threads about dnb and has clearly lost the love for it.

People don't realise that there are underground artists making waves almost daily, it's getting to the point where I'll find out about a really good new artist pretty much every week. The scene, in my eyes, is really healthy and there are artists pushing the boundaries in every direction, including commercially which can't be a bad thing if it opens up new ears to drum and bass.

If you don't like it don't listen to it, stop acting like the producers of these tracks owe you something.

I've been checking out Redlight (Clipz) recently and he's really pulling the strings in that scene so big up to him. The house scene is really cool atm.

I feel almost attacked in this thread over my concern over the 3 producers in mention, so I found a gif to suit how I feel about it.

tumblr_mreagnIDZJ1sn4165o1_500.gif

Don't take this the wrong way. I am a fan of Sigma's work, more so back in the day but even still. The only annoying thing is the fact that the only reason it's such a big hit is because of where they got the vocals from. I just don't think Sigma could get to the same spot with an original piece. I do really like the track however so I think it's fantastic news to hear dnb at the #1 spot. Is that a first for dnb or have Rudimental done it before??

Don't take this the wrong way. I am a fan of Sigma's work, more so back in the day but even still. The only annoying thing is the fact that the only reason it's such a big hit is because of where they got the vocals from. I just don't think Sigma could get to the same spot with an original piece. I do really like the track however so I think it's fantastic news to hear dnb at the #1 spot. Is that a first for dnb or have Rudimental done it before??

Not sure who got the first number 1 out of Rudimental and Fresh but they both got a number 1. Do you still see Sigma making underground music or will his focus be on the pop scene now?

Not sure who got the first number 1 out of Rudimental and Fresh but they both got a number 1. Do you still see Sigma making underground music or will his focus be on the pop scene now?

Fair enough dude knew Fresh would have something to do with it... I would like to hear them do some more 'Front To Back' business to be honest, they need to release the VIP for starters! This number 1 thing could be a turning point for what they produce though, however I hope that's not going to be the case!
Ahh All Blue is just vibes mate...

This thread is hilarious.

If you don't like it don't listen to it, stop acting like the producers of these tracks owe you something.

If anyone was going to end this thread it was going to be Dan. Well said.
I think its great for the scene that something like this will reach people that would have never listened to dnb prior to that.

My mother is a fantastic example, heard afterglow on the radio a while back and said "this sounds like all the records you play, do you have anything like that you could pop on a CD?" Gave her a mixture of Calibre, Spectrasoul, and all round liquid tunes with vocals and I quote she reckons "all this stuff you listen to is 99% better than what they batter on the radio throughout the day"

All in all its great that its branching out. big ups Sigma. No doubt there will be many more to follow in those footsteps.

:fpalm:

Im asking if anyone thinks this will be the end of Sigma making underground dnb.

:fpalm:

Im asking if anyone thinks this will be the end of Sigma making underground dnb.

Even if they did stop making underground DnB, who cares?

If that's the direction that they want to take their music and there are people enjoying the tunes then big ups to them I say.

Headz always seem to hate on artists who change their sound for mainstream success and I can understand that. (Netsky's 2nd Album, FML) The thing is that all the good tunes they have made are always going to be there, just because an artist has changed their sound doesn't discredit their earlier work.

The other thing headz always seem to hate when it comes to the mainstream is new fans who are discovering DnB through the mainstream acts which I see happen all the time. It's almost like a form of jealously, like some people don't want DnB to be big because they don't want to share it. The thing about liking such a different sound from the mainstream is that it taps into our own sense of individualism. You want to like something that not many other people like because it shows how individual you are and differentiates your personality from that of your peers. At the same time though there is a need to be accepted, to be able to share your view with others. Enter this forum as a means of connecting with others who are part of a small group of people(Relative to 8 Billion) who share similar views about music.

Both jealousy and fear of change and understandable but small-minded views IMO. Free yourself from them if you can.

I believe music is for enjoyment. If listening to the latest Katy Perry song brings people joy or defines for them an enjoyable space and time then the music has fullfilled its purpose regardless of how shallow or lazily produced it is. (That doesn't mean YOU or I have to enjoy it though, we may think it's a bit shit and that's a perfectly acceptable opinion to have) But I digress. /pretentious cunt

TBH, I don't mind the Matrix & Futurebound or Sigma tunes, I this played on the radio I would probably enjoy it more than 90% of the EDM in the charts at the moment.

That DJ Fresh tune thou . . . :sadbana:

Even if they did stop making underground DnB, who cares?

If that's the direction that they want to take their music and there are people enjoying the tunes then big ups to them I say.

Headz always seem to hate on artists who change their sound for mainstream success and I can understand that. (Netsky's 2nd Album, FML) The thing is that all the good tunes they have made are always going to be there, just because an artist has changed their sound doesn't discredit their earlier work.

The other thing headz always seem to hate when it comes to the mainstream is new fans who are discovering DnB through the mainstream acts which I see happen all the time. It's almost like a form of jealously, like some people don't want DnB to be big because they don't want to share it. The thing about liking such a different sound from the mainstream is that it taps into our own sense of individualism. You want to like something that not many other people like because it shows how individual you are and differentiates your personality from that of your peers. At the same time though there is a need to be accepted, to be able to share your view with others. Enter this forum as a means of connecting with others who are part of a small group of people(Relative to 8 Billion) who share similar views about music.

Both jealousy and fear of change and understandable but small-minded views IMO. Free yourself from them if you can.

I believe music is for enjoyment. If listening to the latest Katy Perry song brings people joy or defines for them an enjoyable space and time then the music has fullfilled its purpose regardless of how shallow or lazily produced it is. (That doesn't mean YOU or I have to enjoy it though, we may think it's a bit shit and that's a perfectly acceptable opinion to have) But I digress. /pretentious cunt

TBH, I don't mind the Matrix & Futurebound or Sigma tunes, I this played on the radio I would probably enjoy it more than 90% of the EDM in the charts at the moment.

That DJ Fresh tune thou . . . :sadbana:

This x 1000. well said

I heard most the money is in the big gigs.

Seriously tho how am I ment to act like a badman listening to dj freshhh

:slick:

How much do you reckon an artist gets for hitting the top of the charts?
To get in the UK Top 40 (say in the 25-40 range) you need to sell about 10,000 mp3s in a week. To get to the 10-25 range you need to sell about 15,000-20,000). Probably 90%+ of these sales come from iTunes (again for Top 40 stuff).

So at 99p per track, even if you sell 10,000 units, you're then giving 30% to iTunes, 20% to distro (varies distro to distro), 50/50 Artist/Label split (might vary), and probably 20% manager fees (most artists who make the Top 40 are going to have a manager). Then of course if you're in a group of two producers you're halving the artist split, and there's likely other guest artists/vocalists/session musicians who either were paid or cut in on the royalties/publishing, etc.

To get to #1 on Beatport DNB you only need to sell about 200 mp3s in a week. Every other site (Juno, TID, DNBA, etc.) is even lower. :|

Last edited:
So at 99p per track, even if you sell 10,000 units, you're then giving 30% to iTunes, 20% to distro (varies distro to distro), 50/50 Artist/Label split (might vary), and probably 20% manager fees (most artists who make the Top 40 are going to have a manager). Then of course if you're in a group of two producers you're halfing the artist split, and there's likely other guest artists/vocalists/session musicians who either were paid or cut in on the royalties/publishing, etc.

Short answer: fuck all

Back
Top Bottom