KRK Rokit 8 - humming

hyperd4eva

H&M SCARVES
VIP Junglist
Hi all.

Had my KRK 8's for about 2 months and iv noticed one of them has a distinct humming when turned on. This even happens with nothing connected apart from the power supply.

I have tried balanced cables etc.. The one I am concerned about and thinking of returning is much louder hum than the other one. although the other one still hums ever so slightly.

Is this normal for them to hum quietly? or should they be completely silent until music is playing through them?

If they should be completely silent I will send both back as they are under warranty.

Thanks

If nothings connected but the power supply it might be some cords around it or something, that seems like the only possibility from what i know. Im also pretty sure a plug without a ground prong eill cause humming too.

I don't have them through a sound card mate, its 2 XLR's from my xone 92 directly into the speakers. this happens even with the xone powered off

is one of them near a light switch by any chance? when i had mine by the dimmer switch it hummed like mad when it wasnt fully on, no idea why. magnets and shit

is one of them near a light switch by any chance? when i had mine by the dimmer switch it hummed like mad when it wasnt fully on, no idea why. magnets and shit

no mate, its by a window!? its obviously has extension leads at the bottom of the speaker stands

I have the same problem at work. Some bloke keeps humming and it's pissing me off. When you find a soloution let me know please. I was thinking maybe cyanide or calpol

its probably just interference with the cables, you can buy those little ferrite cable clips that are supposed to help. If they only hum when you dont have your mixer on, then you might aswell just turn them off when you turn your mixer off.

its probably just interference with the cables, you can buy those little ferrite cable clips that are supposed to help. If they only hum when you dont have your mixer on, then you might aswell just turn them off when you turn your mixer off.

they do it with the mixer plugged in too. exactly the same. I always turn them off when I finish mixing

If the hum is around 60hz it's probably a grounding problem.

It could also be interference from power lines, if you live close enough to them.

Its probably not the speakers...I had the same problem with my yamahas.I just plugged the power supply cables into another socket and it was gone.

Yo Tony. Have this problem with my 5's mate in any environment and it is really unuseable. I sent it off to a place in Southampton for inspection and hopeful repair and I got this back. "it requires out put ICs to rectify the fault." and a £108 bill. So I turned it down as that is extortionate! Problem is i'm a technical retard and have no idea what IC's even are so not sure what to do from here.

- - - Updated - - -

Most likely to be interference, however it could also be a dodgy capacitor.

http://ihavenorealfriends.basicdelu...rthy-fix-how-to-repair-your-krk-rokit-5-0320/

Obviously that link is for 5's, worth a shout though.

Just seen this, will check it out

Yo Tony. Have this problem with my 5's mate in any environment and it is really unuseable. I sent it off to a place in Southampton for inspection and hopeful repair and I got this back. "it requires out put ICs to rectify the fault." and a £108 bill. So I turned it down as that is extortionate! Problem is i'm a technical retard and have no idea what IC's even are so not sure what to do from here.

An IC is an integrated circuit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_circuit

This could mean that any one of the many chips on the PCB in side your Rokit could be faulty and needs replacing.

I actually have a problem with my RP8 too.

It powers on but there is no sound coming out of either the tweeter or the driver no matter which input I use. I need to open that shit up and have a look at the PCB.

Back
Top Bottom